Hunt/Nav apps

ElPollo

WKR
Wanting some advice on hunting and navigation apps, particularly the GoHunt app. I’ve been using On-X with a one-state subscription for years and then used Gia for other states. Just not a fan of Gia. The private/public lands maps have too many issues on that app. Planning to dump it and go with the premium, multi-state option for On-X. Is it worth it to upgrade to GoHunt? I don’t use a lot of the desktop features. Primary thing for me is landownership data. What would you all suggest?

wapitibob

WKR
I apply in multiple states so the onX premium is what I use but they do have that new 2 state option. GoHunt has a lot more than just mapping so there's that. The new onX research stuff is lacking in my opinion.

OP
E

ElPollo

WKR
I apply in multiple states so the onX premium is what I use but they do have that new 2 state option. GoHunt has a lot more than just mapping so there's that. The new onX research stuff is lacking in my opinion.
Thanks. Can you expand on the more than just mapping part? I’m primarily hunting in one state, but use On-X for navigation when camping and traveling across the west. I don’t have it installed on a desktop because the one I have is owned by my employer (Using a desktop is not something I do for recreation). It sounds like I probably wouldn’t get much benefit out of the research options from GoHunt. Am I wrong?

maxx075

FNG
I haven't tried OnX yet, but that's what I plan on using for my main tool. I did a trial of GoHunt and liked it, but I've read it's just not reliable on an app platform in the field and is kinda clunky in navigating on mobile.

I do like the GoHunt features for the draw odds, tag research, etc, and it is a great desktop tool for research and mapping, but from what I've gathered, if you plan to use a tool on a phone in the field, OnX is the better tool to go with.

wapitibob

WKR
Thanks. Can you expand on the more than just mapping part? I’m primarily hunting in one state, but use On-X for navigation when camping and traveling across the west. I don’t have it installed on a desktop because the one I have is owned by my employer (Using a desktop is not something I do for recreation). It sounds like I probably wouldn’t get much benefit out of the research options from GoHunt. Am I wrong?

GoHunt has draw odds from the previous year, strategy articles, synopsis of hunting units/areas, etc. Depending on the one state you hunt, you may be able to easily get all that data from the game dept web site, Wyoming for example.

Luked

WKR
I use Go hunt and also OnX.
OnX seems to work a bit better here at home while hunting but when out west I mainly use Gohunt

I recently cancelled my Go Hunt. I really wanted to like the mapping App. but I just always seemed to have issues with it. Maybe its because I use an andriod? OnX has seemed to be the most reliable for me and rarely rarely have any issues with it. It is not perfect but it works very well for me.

Go Hunt has good Unit strategies/draw odds and articles that I really liked but I can do the work myself and find 99% of the information they provide. Still like the company and buy stuff from their store. Just couldnt justify continuing to pay for a service that wasnt working.

I've tried basemaps, onx and go hunt. Onx is the winner for me. Imo it's much more user friendly and easier to navigate

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk