First Elk Hunt - OTC Rifle

No experience here. Can one person reasonably pack out an elk 5 miles one way doing it solo?
Solo my limit is 4 miles, Look at it like this, 4 round trips 32 mi total half of it with a load. It's a lot of work. If it was open country with not much elevation change I might consider 5.

No experience here. Can one person reasonably pack out an elk 5 miles one way doing it solo?
It can be done during the 3rd season generally. I certainly wouldn’t recommend it. It’s colder so you’ll have days to get it done and you’ll need those days. The better shape you’re in the less it will hurt but it’s going to hurt.

Not really a wise thing to do. That is what I thought. I read over and over again about people packing in 5 miles. I keep wondering how the heck they plan on getting the meat out. I plan on a max of 3 miles. (If it’s cold enough.) I figure 2 miles in, is plenty to get away from lazy hunters.

It's going to be a backcountry hunt. I plan on hiking in about 5 miles and setting up camp hunting from there. I would love get a bag like that, but it's just so damn expensive. Any other bag suggestions? I'm not committed to any brand. Thanks!
I've had great luck on cold hunts running a 10 or 20 degree bag with a red sea to summit liner. Might come out slightly heavier than getting the right bag for the job but it's nicer to only own one bag that is more versatile.

I just bought an Outdoor Vitals zero degree bag. Hopefully that should be good enough. I have a down puffy if it gets really cold.

Solo my limit is 4 miles, Look at it like this, 4 round trips 32 mi total half of it with a load. It's a lot of work. If it was open country with not much elevation change I might consider 5.
I would try to find a packer in the area personally. Most the time you can find a packer to have on call for around ~400. Take a Garmin spot with you so you can send a text and GPS and pack to a spot the packer can easily get a horse to. This allows you to hunt how you want and not worry about whether you can get an elk out. Your going to spend a good chunk of money on gear tags and gas. Best part of the packer is you don't have to spend the 400 if you kill one close or don't tag out. I've packed out several bulls and I can only think of one that I would't be stoked to pay $400 to get it out of the back country. Pain in the butt sometimes to find one but most elk units in the west has a cowboy or two that is happy to load up horses and ride your bull out.

I have never known an outfitter with time to answer the phone during hunting season let alone saddle up and trailer horses somewhere. Having that as your peace of mind to shoot an elk further in than you can backpack it is a recipe for disaster.

I have never known an outfitter with time to answer the phone during hunting season let alone saddle up and trailer horses somewhere. Having that as your peace of mind to shoot an elk further in than you can backpack it is a recipe for disaster.
I've used guys in Colorado, Wyoming, Nevada, Idaho, and 2 units in Utah. Not usually outfitters but packers. Avg price is $400 but in my search I have seen between 300-800. I've never not found a packer for an elk hunt that would be on call if I put my diligence in looking. It might not always be at the drop of a hat but they are always there within 24 hours. Might take me 8 hours to butcher a bull and get the meat to an easily accessible spot. Then I gotta go get camp packed up and get back to a truck. Thats why a have a Garmin spot is great because as soon as you recover and animal you can let the packer know. I've spent the night at the truck or in a hotel and have never had to go back in with the packer to retrieve the critter. Spending the time finding the guy and having good communication prior to the hunt is key.

On national forest a packer has to be a licensed outfitter by law. So a packer has to be working for an outfitter. You cannot pay or compensate in any way a cowboy or some local to pack elk.

A couple of them that I have used are Outfitters in the sense that they run a full service guiding business. If that is true they have an outfitter license and necessary permits for the area. They are running websites offering this service and I would assume are up to date with the regs. We see the same packers year in and year out in a few units that we hunt regularly. We now use llamas because it fits our hunting style better.

Back in the 90's my brother and I packed our camp and two elk out on sleds in two trips over 4 miles so it can be done if you have a good trail and some snow but the weather can be un-predictable. One year you will get snow and the next can be completely dry. The last mile of our trip was over dirt and grass so it was harder requiring about 30lbs of pull for a sled that had 150 lbs of game and gear in it.

Attachments

• 1994 Hauling Out 02 Harlan.jpg
    1994 Hauling Out 02 Harlan.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1994 Hauling Out 03 Harlan.jpg
    1994 Hauling Out 03 Harlan.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 24
Back