First Elk Hunt

bloatmar

FNG
Good Morning All,

First post on here so be nice. My story long time hunter here in the great State of Texas! Have hunted whitetail, Turkey, dove the usual Texas game, my whole life currently just hit the big 30. Got hooked on elk hunting watching the Hushin channel on YouTube then found Cory Jacobsen and some other great channels. However it appears most on this site don’t care for their content from what I have read. However they got me hooked and I am grateful for that. I will be heading out to CO in mid September for some Archery elk hunting OTC. I have been putting in miles on my boots, bugling as I drive for work and studying my unit on google earth and OnX. I feel rather prepared but still the nerves are on edge for the hunt for sure. My thoughts are if we have some encounters with Bulls that will be a successful trip and if we happen to fill a tag that will just be the cherry on top. Just wanted to say hello and good luck to everyone out there this season!

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
thatd a good attitude

1 dont sweat the small stuff

2 dont be surprised if it is nothing like tv
Yeah I don’t expect it to be like TV. Just a heads up the lease I hunt on in Texas is not high fence and we have 10,000 acres so it’s not like I’m hunting my pets. I’m not a fan of high fence ranches.

don't think I've ever heard anyone here say they dont like Jacobsen. i wouldn't dismiss anything so quickly that guys like Corey and a few other very successful killers of bull elk are putting out there for the rest of us to digest and help us become better elk killers. i don't doubt there are a few who are close minded to proven methods and tactics, but that's their loss and don't speak for the masses. my advice would be to keep watching or listening to Corey's stuff and be a sponge. telling you anything otherwise would be bad advice. especially when you are getting it at little or no cost. 🏹🏹🏹🏹

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
don't think I've ever heard anyone here say they dont like Jacobsen. i wouldn't dismiss anything so quickly that guys like Corey and a few other very successful killers of bull elk are putting out there for the rest of us to digest and help us become better elk killers. i don't doubt there are a few who are close minded to proven methods and tactics, but that's their loss and don't speak for the masses. my advice would be to keep watching or listening to Corey's stuff and be a sponge. telling you anything otherwise would be bad advice. especially when you are getting it at little or no cost. 🏹🏹🏹🏹
I meant in general seems like folks here are not fans of the YouTube hunters. I know Corey has been around a lot longer. I soak it all in. I enrolled in his elk university class great information on there.

Gapmaster

WKR
I meant in general seems like folks here are not fans of the YouTube hunters. I know Corey has been around a lot longer. I soak it all in. I enrolled in his elk university class great information on there.
It’s more that the mountains didn’t seem near as crowded before social media and the YouTube hunter craze. I don’t think anyone is against new hunters. We need all the numbers we can get to beat back the Libtards... there’s just too much information floating around about “used to be honey holes”

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
It’s more that the mountains didn’t seem near as crowded before social media and the YouTube hunter craze. I don’t think anyone is against new hunters. We need all the numbers we can get to beat back the Libtards... there’s just too much information floating around about “used to be honey holes”
Yeah I have noticed all the long standing members are “big” fans new of folks asking about units haha. That’s the internet now every one thinks they can find the answer here. The answer is somewhere in that unit and go find it for yourself.

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
Same here! I dont care for the hushin guy but im headed out end of the month
The hushin guys seem very relatable to me that’s why I enjoy their content. They take their kiddos out with them and seeing their emotion when a son or daughter fills a tag is awesome!

tjihrig

FNG
Cory Jacobsen and the guys at Hushin are the real deal. Your getting good info watching those guys. Good luck, be safe and keep the wind in your face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General woods/bushcraft skills in reading terrain, patterning animals, finding sign and interpreting what you see on the ground takes time and is a skill that constantly develops.

Things look quite a bit different when your own boots are muddy on the ground and you are dripping blood sweat and tears, compared to the 20 minute instatubetwit segments that have 10 bulls a day bugling back at you and several shot opportunities a day......

Good luck on your hunt!

jbrownlow

FNG
I'm in the same boat as OP - we leave for our first elk hunt in 35 days (but who's counting, right?). Headed to the breaks in Montana.

fwafwow

WKR
I thought for sure this would be another "new guy" post asking for locations, or advice on what to take (without having searched) - but NO! Welcome to the forum and good luck to you this season!

sneaky

"DADDY"
don't think I've ever heard anyone here say they dont like Jacobsen. i wouldn't dismiss anything so quickly that guys like Corey and a few other very successful killers of bull elk are putting out there for the rest of us to digest and help us become better elk killers. i don't doubt there are a few who are close minded to proven methods and tactics, but that's their loss and don't speak for the masses. my advice would be to keep watching or listening to Corey's stuff and be a sponge. telling you anything otherwise would be bad advice. especially when you are getting it at little or no cost.
I think he was referring to Hushin. Plenty of people don't care for their stuff. Big difference between them and Corey lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t care much for the Hushin guys, seems like they are trying to hard to be “celebrity” hunters. I like Jacobsen, dierk Durham, the born and raised guys, and Jason Phelps. They seem like cool guys that just love to hunt elk and aren’t trying to be YouTube celebrities. The information and knowledge those guys share is invaluable.

Good luck, hunt hard and don’t give up! No matter how tired you are, how much pain you’re in, or how disappointed you are that some elk just winded you and left the country, one close encounter with a screaming bull will make all that irrelevant and you’re addiction will be even stronger!