First focal plane scope

cmeier117

WKR
I am looking at getting a Frist focal plane scope for a DMR build I am doing. I am looking at the Vortex Viper PST4-16x50. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Cameron,

That is a great option for FFP, and has an awesome reticle with great illumination (barely daylight visible on the highest setting).

Also take a look at the SWFA 3-15X42 FFP.

The Leupy FFPs are way overpriced.

Sightron just released its 6-24X50 SIII in FFP, but it is more expensive, and may have more magnification than you want.

Other good FFP options go up in price significantly, but these are solid scopes.

bradb

WKR
I used the Vortex 4x16 FFP for my muzzle loader on my Ibex hunt. At first I was really not sure how I like the FFP, just kind of thought it was to thick at full power. After plenty of target work out to 600 and shooting the Ibex a fair bit out, I have really come to like the FFP. The scope has performed beautiful for me

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Thanks guys. Looks like vortex it is. I want to be able to do hold overs and adjust for wind at all ranges. I am also going to use a Larue QD mount so I can use it on more than one gun. The Vortex has a MIL dot or some type of MIL reticle right?

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
The bushnell elite series is decent quality for the money. I had a 6500 I really liked, though it was not ffp. I did get a 4-12x50 mil to mil ffp 4200 illuminated reticle that has decent glass and functions well. I would say glass wise it's close to my mark 4 at least as far as low light is concerned. It's really hard to find a decent scope with the right features without spending a ton of money.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I have really considered that scope Matt. I just think for follow up shots and what not I want the FFP. I wish I could get a Horus reticle in a vortex scope though. ;)

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
The bushnell elite series is decent quality for the money. I had a 6500 I really liked, though it was not ffp. I did get a 4-12x50 mil to mil ffp 4200 illuminated reticle that has decent glass and functions well. I would say glass wise it's close to my mark 4 at least as far as low light is concerned. It's really hard to find a decent scope with the right features without spending a ton of money.

If I had the money I would just custom order a US Optics scope or get a Schmidt and Bender and be done with it.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Correction, it's a 3-12x44. It's now about $800 but when I bought it it was $500 and they threw in a GPS.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you on that if I had the resources it would be a S&B or premier reticle or Zeiss Heinsoldt.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I will most likely buy a vortex just because they are a hunting company, make great glass for the money and have the best warranty. No need for me to look else where in this case.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have really considered that scope Matt. I just think for follow up shots and what not I want the FFP. I wish I could get a Horus reticle in a vortex scope though. ;)

Oh yeah, the FFP is a great feature, I just meant there was information about the scope and reticle in the article. The scopes and reticle are identical (SFP and FFP), just the reticle plane is different.

The Bushy 4-12 is a nicely featured FFP scope, but doesn't have a lot of adjustment.

The upper end Bushy 3.5-21 FFP tactical scopes are great all around, but quite a bit more expensive than the Viper. For even more dough, you can get a Horus reticle. If I was going to spend that much I would be looking at the Razor HD.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I was thinking more about the scope you reviewed Matt and the one I am talking about with a FFP reticle? Do you think I would really need that? Optically and function of the turrets are the two the same? The price difference could buy me a nice Larue qd mount to use on my bolt gun too. Thoughts?

KMD

Banned
A SFP scope can still be useable at different mag settings, just takes some interpretation.
IE, if a SPF scopes reticle subtends true @16x, it will also subtend a whole value angular measurement @ 8x, and even 4x, for that matter. When ya half the mag, ya double the reticle subtension...

So, a 1 moa hash in the reticle @ 16x will equal 2 moa with the scope on 8x power. And the same hash will measure 4 moa @ 4x. Not quite as useable as FFP, but you can make it work. Good way to stay straight is to put a dot on your mag ring with a Sharpie, at ranging power, and two dots at half that setting. Quick way to make a SPF a bit more useable for holds...

Good luck withyour scope choice!