First Good Set of Binoculars - Which set up?

I'm a michigan hunter going on my first western trip this fall for Mule deer. Going to be hunting south central Wyoming. Whatever I buy will not be used in Michigan since I hunt dense hardwoods. I want something that will last me for years to come if I decide to continue hunting out west in different states/environments.

First, I'm struggling between 10x and 12x. I'm leaning towards 12x is because Im not planning on a spotter and I also plan on using a tripod. I was also thinking of going 50mm either way.

Second is brand and model. There are so many options but i think im down to vipers, bx-4, or maven c.3. Open to others though.

Budget: $400 maybe $450
Prefer to buy used to open up more options

I know a lot is about personal preference but I have no baseline for comparison. I won't be able to understand what it's like to look through them in big country until I'm on the hunt. I've read a ton of posts but I guess just looking so some specific advice.

Thank you in advance for all the help and input!!

OP
H
I'd call Doug at CameralandNY
I've seen a lot of people recommended him and I've thought about giving him a call. Though since I'm in the used market and most likely won't be making a purchase from him i don't want to waste his time.

LightFoot

WKR
I have the C.3 10x50 and I like them. No regrets on th 10x. I think I would be disappointed in the FOV on the 12x.

>>>----JAKE----->

I would pick a 10x50 over a 12x50 of the same model because the field of view is going to be significantly wider on the 10x50. That wide FOV is going to be more useful than an extra 2x. 10x will also give you a lot more selection of options to choose from over a 12x. FWIW a 10x42 will also have a wider FOV than a 10x50 of the same model with less weight and size and only slightly less bright image.

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
10x42, will still have plenty of light and larger field of view then the 12x50 or even the 10x50. But I also use them in michigan.

AGPank

WKR
You are going to find better quality in your budget with a 10x42. Years ago I had 10x50 Vipers. I was disappointed with the FOV, like 270’ vs 330’ for most 10x42. I see the current HD model improved that, so look before you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
You are going to find better quality in your budget with a 10x42. Years ago I had 10x50 Vipers. I was disappointed with the FOV, like 270’ vs 330’ for most 10x42. I see the current HD model improved that, so look before you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was putting together a comparison as you wrote this. There's a pretty big spread in the FOV of the three models. 251 for the Maven at 12x50 all the way up to 346 for the Viper 10x50. Across the board the Mavens have the smallest.

In the 10x50 there's a difference of 84' between the Vipers and the C3. On the 10x42 and 12x50 its about 25-30' and the BX4 in the middle. Does that make a huge difference in the field?

Attachments

• bino compare.JPG
    bino compare.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 71

jfs82

WKR
I was putting together a comparison as you wrote this. There's a pretty big spread in the FOV of the three models. 251 for the Maven at 12x50 all the way up to 346 for the Viper 10x50. Across the board the Mavens have the smallest.

In the 10x50 there's a difference of 84' between the Vipers and the C3. On the 10x42 and 12x50 its about 25-30' and the BX4 in the middle. Does that make a huge difference in the field?
I think this will depend on where you end up hunting. Whether the FOV or mag ends up being more important to you. 10x seems to have been the default western magnification for a long time, but now you read articles and posts everywhere about switching to 12 and never going back. The thing I am SURE about is, at some point, you will be irritated you didnt get the other (no matter which you choose). I currently use 11x45.

And to my eyes, i much preferred the c3 to the Vipers. And Maven has a 15% off right now on their site.

HntnFsh

FNG
Call Doug at Cameraland. He may have a set of Meopta Meopro demos or something of the sort. I think you would be very happy with them.

22lr

WKR
Big vote on the Viper series. I have the 10x42 and love them! There is a convincing argument to be made for 12x being more versatile, particularly if you are not running a spotter. I just always run a spotter so the 10x is plenty fine for me. The biggest plus for Vortex is also a negative for budget. Used vs new doesn't matter for the warranty support, so it's not impossible... but pretty hard to get a killer deal. But that's why I have been such a fan of their products!

ChrisAU

WKR
Take a look at Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides. Love mine and there are others here who do, you can find them in the $350-$500 range new if you look hard enough. They also have a rebate for a free Marsupial Gear harness with a purchase of new binos through May.

OP
H
Take a look at Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides. Love mine and there are others here who do, you can find them in the $350-$500 range new if you look hard enough. They also have a rebate for a free Marsupial Gear harness with a purchase of new binos through May.
Thanks for the suggestion and the tip on the rebate.

Any suggestion on the model and difference in FOV? There's only about a 35' difference between the 10x and 12x in the 50.

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks for the suggestion and the tip on the rebate.

Any suggestion on the model and difference in FOV? There's only about a 35' difference between the 10x and 12x in the 50.

I went with 10's because they are easier to hand hold and a little better in low light with the bigger exit pupil. But if you are going primarily on a tripod I know 12's are popular with a lot of guys on here.

Tyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Bushnell Legend M Series is a great starter binocular and reasonably priced. I compared my sons Bushnell with my Vortex Razor and they are almost equal.

Axlrod

WKR
In that price range I would go with the Meopa Meopro 10x42 HD Cameraland has them listed at $500.
I would go with 10x for what you are doing and the Meopa's are very good for the money.

OP
H
I appreciate everyone's input and reply. After reading a ton more reviews and talking to folks on here I think I'm going to go with the Mavens C.3s in 10x50. Hard to beat at the price and quality even though they have a pretty narrow FOV.