First Good Set of Binoculars - Which set up?

rkramer

FNG
I was in the same position and Maven C.3 worked great for me. Although I did have a slight fogging issue in colder temperatures.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I just looked at cameraland and the 10x42 meopros and they were 429. I believe that is shipped and no tax. These would be tough to beat at that price point IMO.

OP
H
So I was going to pull the trigger on the Maven's but was then pointed in the direction of a sale at Midway. I picked up the BX-4 Pro Guides in 10x50 and with the current Leupold rebate offer also got their new chest harness system.
I wrote up a quick comparison review against some BX-2s below. Thanks to eveyone for their insights and comments along the way. Definitely happy with the purchase!

Terrapin

WKR
I shake too much for high power binoculars, especially when I’m excited. I took me years to admit that to myself. Went 12x to 10x to 8x. I don’t feel handicapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
10x42, will still have plenty of light and larger field of view then the 12x50 or even the 10x50. But I also use them in michigan.

Agree.10x42 are just such a perfect take anywhere hunt anywhere option for main glass in the collection, or standalone. Almost certainly the most popular configuration out west.

AGPank

WKR
Maybe stretching the budget but someone on the birdforum has a set of Leica Trinovid for $700. This is the 2014-2017 set that are similar to the Ultravid. I have a pair and amazed these are now selling under $900 when they were a $1600 pair new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
Older vortex has Japanese glass like Leupold and Maven. I think the newer ones have glass from Philippines. At any rate I had vortex vipers in 10x42 and 10x50. Then I went to razors in 10x50 and considered 12x50. On a tripod the 12's are fine but for me it was so hard to off hand spot with 12's. I move to much and I imagine that the wind will be blowing at the speed of light there in south WY.......so if you are trying to use 12's while stocking prey...good luck but I wouldn't bet my money. I think 10x50 works the best for me magnification and field of view. I have since switched to maven. So far I really really like their glass.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Go to A and A optics website and check out there refurb binos. They are same as new and same vip warranty. You can buy them prob cheaper than used, and I’d say save a week or two longer and get the razors instead of the vipers, they are a lot better glass. I picked up a pair on razor 10x42s for I think 6-700 on there before switching to SLCs

So I was going to pull the trigger on the Maven's but was then pointed in the direction of a sale at Midway. I picked up the BX-4 Pro Guides in 10x50 and with the current Leupold rebate offer also got their new chest harness system.
I wrote up a quick comparison review against some BX-2s below. Thanks to eveyone for their insights and comments along the way. Definitely happy with the purchase!

I think you made a good choice. You won't see much of an image quality improvement over the BX-4's for another $1K other than a slightly wider field of view. They are a "best buy" in the mid-price range at the moment IMO.