First lite brooks down

What’s up guys. Does anyone own a first lite brooks down jacket? I am looking to pick one up but so torn on what size to order. L or xl

I am 205 5’10 . Most of the reviews go back and for between true to size and size up.
What do you think? How do you like the jacket?

thanks

Kotaman

WKR
I like mine. It is a great “early season” lightweight puffy. I sized up. I’m 6’2”, 230 and went XXL. It is cut smaller than the Uncompagre which I wear an XL in.

OP
F
Oo really site says use in less the 20 degrees. Figured it was somthing I could wear late season as well

gfreidy

WKR
Trying to get the right size can be tricky with direct order companies. I needed to size up on cirrus but not for the Uncompaghre.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Oo really site says use in less the 20 degrees. Figured it was somthing I could wear late season as well

If you look at the specs it’s really not that impressive of a puffy. 3.5 oz of 800 FP down for $265 at overall 10.9 oz. for comparison the SG puffy is 5.3 oz of 850 FP hydrophobic down at 11.8 oz overal for $330.

If it were me I’d spend the extra $60 for a significantly warmer jacket. You can’t be too warm but you CAN be too cold

3.5 ounces x 800 fp = 2800
5.3 ounces x 850 FP = 4505

4505/2800 = 1.6 so the SG is 1.6x warmer and only 1 oz heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
SG is “Stone Glacier”...which, by the way is my favorite all around puffy. If you truly want something for late season you need to go to the “next level” and look at the Chamberlain or Sitka Kelvin WS. The only downside to those is weight and bulk. But, if you want a warm jacket, you need weight and bulk.

ChrisAU

WKR
The brooks is definitely not a late season coat...here is a pic of Chamberlain - Stone Glacier Grumman - Brooks:

Ju4KKW9.jpg

I’m 6’3” - 220# and wore a XL in the Brooks and L in the Uncompahgre - Brooks is nice for September but would want something warmer for late season.

OP
F
Thank you for the info. I think I will go with a large.

These hushin guys on YouTube it looks like they are always wearing the brooks , no matter what temp and they layer

LJ Buck

WKR
I know the stats on paper on fill weight don’t compare to heavier down jackets but it is extremely warm for its weight and during activity it has the ability to regulate your body temps, the down has the 37.5 fibers incorporated into it. it’s an extremely functional piece unlike many other down jackets where if you are active at all it gets hot fast. It“s fill weight compares to the mountain hardware ghostwhisperer which has stood the test of time in the non hunting industry.

OP
F
Yeah I am going to get the brooks for early season and the chamberlain for late most likely

Or just spend the money on the higher quality outdoor brands that are not hunter specific like the SG mentioned above.

ChrisAU

WKR
After trying the 3 in my pic I posted above I wound up with an Arc'Teryx Cerium LT Hoody btw. Couple ounces lighter than the SG. Was plenty warm at camp and glassing in well below freezing temps over light layers.

OP
F
I looked but they dont offer the camo Colors. I bow hunt east coast. These jackets will be strictly for hunting