First Lite Customer Service = GARBAGE

KurtR

WKR
Let's make sure we are clear. These were NEW old stock with tags this past August. Second trip out in them the crotch blew out. I don't plan to use a pair of pants with a hole in the crotch going forward, so yes I guess they are garbage.

I wasn't expecting a brand new pair. Maybe an offer to fix, exchange, in store credit, something to retain me as a customer. But nothing was offered. If anything this was a learning experience for me. I spent two weeks this past November hunting whitetails in SD with my bow. It was brutal cold. I am looking to upgrade my cold weather gear and was leaning towards FS gear, but not after this experience and hearing multiple similar stories.

So to answer your question, yes the pants are garbage and aren't usable. I'm not mad, more surprised than anything. I hope by sharing my experience saves a fellow hunter some headache and hassle. That's it.
Completely off topic but you want to see brutal South Dakota cold come back next week it does not get above 0 for the week. The incinerator set from sitka is what I use coyote hunting when it gets cold.

OP
Bocephus131
Thanks for sharing your experience and starting the thread. Hunters learning from others about their different perspectives is valuable. From the replies here they appear to have some quality issues.

Have you considered how this plays out from First Lite’s perspective, though? Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. It would sound something like this:
Hey, did you hear about the guy that called and wanted us to do something about his seven year old pair of pants he ‘just got’ from his ‘dead grandmother’…..
I guess that attitude is my issue. I believe you are spot on with their arrogance and demeanor. They apparently haven't owned the issues that are being reviewed and vocalized.

Instead of thinking the issue is ridiculous a quality/premium company would look at what the issue is and fix it. FS hasn't done that.

To be totally frank I don't give two shits what they "may" be saying. They've lost my business and they apparently don't give two shits about that....that tells me everything I need to know when I purchase more gear down the road.

OP
Bocephus131
Completely off topic but you want to see brutal South Dakota cold come back next week it does not get above 0 for the week. The incinerator set from sitka is what I use coyote hunting when it gets cold.
Man I've been keeping my eye on that. -20 with wind, snow, blizzard! Let me know how the Incinerator line works. That might be my next purchase!

When we were there it was below 0 at night and never got above 20 in the day with a breeze, and ice coated tree stands. Had me rethinking my sanity sitting in it. Stay warm out there!

Yoder

WKR
the problem is more the product than the customer service. I can't think of any clothing company that will let you return pants after multiple days of outdoor wear. Obsidians blow out the crotch, it's pretty well known. but they're comfy, quite, cover a lot of temps, and don't get too stinky. its all about tradeoffs.
Badlands has a lifetime warranty on all their products.

2 pairs of obsidian pants here. Guess they are 4-5 years old now. No crotch blow out, but I'll admit my junk is small and probably doesn't put the pressure on the seams that everyone else does.

To me the material in the obsidian pants are purpose built, I'm sure lots of guys have durability issues with it. It's a lightweight, quick drying material, that doesn't stink after 3-4 days. I don't hardly wear them in the east, I don't wear them in briars, thorns, heavy brush, etc. I don't wear my puffy's in that stuff either, at least not without a heavy shell. The corrugate pants are way more durable, I think they are slightly better than my Eddie Bauer Costco pants, but due to the 10x cost factor the EB's are a way better pants unless you need camo.

You just aren't going to have a bunch of durability with lightweight wool. I will say my first lite underwear has way out lasted my other wool boxers. Meriwool? Can't remember, but 6 pairs of those and most look like Swiss cheese, and I didn't think my farts were that caustic.

hunterjmj

WKR
Looked into first lite years ago but never pulled the trigger after reading reviews on the stuff. Wool, Sitka and skre have served me well for many years.

KurtR

WKR
Man I've been keeping my eye on that. -20 with wind, snow, blizzard! Let me know how the Incinerator line works. That might be my next purchase!

When we were there it was below 0 at night and never got above 20 in the day with a breeze, and ice coated tree stands. Had me rethinking my sanity sitting in it. Stay warm out there!
I have had it for a few years it was my kids when he was my size. Only reason i got it is because my wife wanted to make sure baby boy stayed warm haha good for me hes 6'8" now so i got it now. Its warm like you dont want to walk much at all warm. My feet and hands always get colder before any thing else when wearing that

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I need to buy a lotto ticket.

I have had their Merino (can't remember the name) pants for well over 5 years, probably closer to 7 or 8 and they are still going strong. They are my favorite pair of outdoor pants, whether that be big game, duck, pheasant or grouse hunting,

I have a few pieces of their other stuff, the puffy jacket, some merino base layers, socks, etc. All has held up fine, which has given me no experience with their customer service department.

I do make sure to wash it properly and hang dry it, maybe that makes a difference? Maybe not. I must have just received pieces not made on Fridays.

fwafwow

WKR
No crotch blow out, but I'll admit my junk is small and probably doesn't put the pressure on the seams that everyone else does.
My Obsidians are also still intact. I’d like to think I’m at or near average but perhaps like mentioned above by @TSAMP, you and I are just not hunting hard.