First Lite Furnace Hoody vs. Sitka Ambient Hoody

jdvanstar

WKR
Been looking at both these pieces to have as parts of my western, turkey and whitetail kit. What would be the situations in which one excels over the other? Anyone with experience with both?

Drenalin

WKR
I haven’t used the ambient, but use a similar piece from Outdoor Research. It moves moisture better than wool (which really just holds moisture), is lighter weight, and is warmer per weight. I personally dislike wool as a mid layer until I get into really cold temps and we’re talking about a heavier wool sweater. Even then, it’s not for moving around in, whereas something like the ambient is okay for moving around in while still providing some insulation.

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
I haven’t used the ambient, but use a similar piece from Outdoor Research. It moves moisture better than wool (which really just holds moisture), is lighter weight, and is warmer per weight. I personally dislike wool as a mid layer until I get into really cold temps and we’re talking about a heavier wool sweater. Even then, it’s not for moving around in, whereas something like the ambient is okay for moving around in while still providing some insulation.
Thanks. I’ve switched back and forth but haven’t tried the ambient. I’ve got one on the way. Why would you want a wool sweater as a mid layer in the cold over something like the ambient?

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
What piece is it from outdoor research?

I've got the Ambient and it's one of my favorite warming layers. Light, warm and good for active insulation.

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
I've got the Ambient and it's one of my favorite warming layers. Light, warm and good for active insulation.
How is it for sitting? I walk a ways back to deer hunt and like the active part but I will then be sitting still for a long time. Sounds like it’s great for that if layered right. I’m likely going to add the mountain evo to it to make a nice lightweight windproof option that keeps me warm thru the mid season.

Drenalin

WKR
Thanks. I’ve switched back and forth but haven’t tried the ambient. I’ve got one on the way. Why would you want a wool sweater as a mid layer in the cold over something like the ambient?
A heavy wool sweater - like the ones they issued us in the Marines 20 years ago - provides a pretty decent amount of insulation. With a puffy on top and a layer to keep out the wind, it’s damn warm. But relatively heavy.

Drenalin

WKR
What piece is it from outdoor research?
I’m using an Ascendant Hoodie, which is discontinued. It’s Polartec Alpha, which is what Sitka used in their Arrowhead line prior to the Ambient. It’s also full zip, with a hood, hand pockets, and a chest pocket. Only downside is colors - mine is black - and the fact that you can pretty much only find them used. They don’t pop up often. OR made some other stuff with Alpha, but I think the Ascendant fits the mid layer/active insulation role best.

How is it for sitting? I walk a ways back to deer hunt and like the active part but I will then be sitting still for a long time. Sounds like it’s great for that if layered right. I’m likely going to add the mountain evo to it to make a nice lightweight windproof option that keeps me warm thru the mid season.
It's pretty warm for its weight. It's my main layer in spring and early fall. Later on I'll bring a puffy and I'm covered down into the teens. It also breathes well so you can sweat in it and it evaporates pretty quickly.