Kulh "The One" hoody vs Sitka Ambient hoody

Curious if anyone has ever directly compared these 2 pieces. Both are active insulation type pieces. I saw the Kuhl hoody the other day at a store and was pretty impressed by it, seemed like a pretty versatile piece. I have never seen the ambient hoody first hand, but looks to be a very similar design. My guess is the ambient hoody is slightly heavier? Any insight/feedback would be appreciated. Would be nice if they are similar pieces, as the Kuhl hoody is roughly $100 cheaper.

Bearsears

WKR
After a quick look at the Kuhl The one and owning an Ambient hoody for 2 years now I'd say they are different pieces. The One is marketed as windproof so it inherently isnt going to breath and move moisture like the Ambient does. Anybody that has an Ambient will tell you that its definitely not wind resistant almost at all.

The one does have a similar active insulation type fleece material on the inside as the Ambient but who knows how its actually designed or how it works compared to the Ambient. My take is that it could be a good option for a later colder season active hunt where you maybe wouldnt need as much breathability as the Ambient. I think its definitely a cool piece especially for the price but not near the tech level of the Ambient. I still like separate wind and mid layers for versatility more than a combo piece like this.

WoodBow

WKR
I had not seen the kuhl hoody before but checked it out. I own an ambient. At a glance I'd say insulation is same or similar. Kuhl says theirs is windproof. Ambient is not. Some claim wind resistant to about 10-12 mph. I'm skeptical. I can easily blow air through it. The kuhl face fabric looks louder than the ambient, which would make sense if it is wind proof. I think the ambient is priced too high and should be closer to the price point of the kuhl. I bought mine use for $160 and felt that was a fair value. I think it is going to be an excellent insulation and casual wear piece.

feanor

WKR
You have to see what the application is too. The alpha direct is highly popular among ultra light hikers paired with a wind shell. It breathes amazingly well, but can’t hold body heat unless the shell goes over it.
So if you want something with a face fabric vs naked, that could change your use. Timmermade and cottage brands are almost exclusively sewing alpha just by itself.

wnelson14

WKR
I have both but haven't used them strenuously side by side. Everything above is correct The One is significantly louder more loud feeling/ wind stopping. I use the one on a daily basis and it's great for temps down in the 50s. I do not like the hoods on most of the Kuhl pieces I have seen they are way to big imho, I have the non hooded the one.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Difference will likely be in usable temp range - I can really go nuts uphill with an ambient due to the breathability. It’s got such a wide range of temps it works well in compared to other mids layers. At least the thinner hoody version does.