First lite furnace. Not as good as the kiln- come fight me

Hello friends and fellow over thinkers.

It's currently the rut here in Northern MN and as such I'm spending far too much time up in the tree. Recently I purchased both a long sleeve mock neck kiln and a furnace for comparison as cold weather base layer. I have heard rave reviews of the furnace so I drank the kool-aid and bought it.

For me it seems that the furnace is too hot for any amount of activity.
When I've layered with it for sitting in the stand I haven't been blown away by its warmth.

I've tried it as a mid over a 150 weight t shirt, I've tried it solo as a baselayer. I'm not finding myself warmer when using it and I really wanted to love it.

Now the kiln? You couldn't pay me to take mine. It's soft and comfy and when I wear it I çan just hear the big bucks come running my way to line up at 20 yards to get shot.

I obviously have too much time in the stand

Am I using this piece incorrectly? How are you guys using the furnace?

TN2shot07

WKR
I liked the furnace bottom but I agree there are better options for a mid layer on the top.

I also love my kiln, I don’t think I’ve been without this season

OP
E
I liked the furnace bottom but I agree there are better options for a mid layer on the top.

I also love my kiln, I don’t think I’ve been without this season
Hmmm I'm intrigued on the furnace bottom- how was the fit and warmth compared to a 250 wt merino like the kiln?

TN2shot07

WKR
Hmmm I'm intrigued on the furnace bottom- how was the fit and warmth compared to a 250 wt merino like the kiln?
Fit is the same for me, it’s warmer.

The warmth probably has to do with how it’s being layered. If you have that heavy base layer under something like a set of bibs and walk in a mile the furnace may be causing you to sweat and then they don’t get dried out.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Man I love my furnace set but it’s not an active piece. The top I’ll pack in and put on once I’m set in my stand and the bottoms I don’t normally wear until the temps are closer to and below freezing. When wearing the bottoms I try and take it slower getting in to avoid overheating. This is strictly for stand hunting though.

I’ve been interested in try the kiln though.

Dave_S

FNG
Man I love my furnace set but it’s not an active piece. The top I’ll pack in and put on once I’m set in my stand and the bottoms I don’t normally wear until the temps are closer to and below freezing. When wearing the bottoms I try and take it slower getting in to avoid overheating. This is strictly for stand hunting though.

I’ve been interested in try the kiln though.
This. Also pack mine in and put it at the stand. Or wear as an outer layer for general hiking/camping in temps below 20. I love my furnace....but now I feel obligated to try the kiln.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
The Furnace is excellent for sitting stationary in a stand when it is really cold outside. I use it for a mid-layer and it is awesome. It also comes in handy when we duck hunt later in January. It is an excellent piece but I recently bought a Sitka heavy weight hoody and I think it will give the Furnace a run for its money.

OP
E
This. Also pack mine in and put it at the stand. Or wear as an outer layer for general hiking/camping in temps below 20. I love my furnace....but now I feel obligated to try the kiln.
I love the kiln- but I might be using the furnace wrong. I've been using it either as a mid, or when I've had to ho a long ways so I might be sweating it out. I'll have to try it if I hunt someplace with easy access next time!

OP
E
The Furnace is excellent for sitting stationary in a stand when it is really cold outside. I use it for a mid-layer and it is awesome. It also comes in handy when we duck hunt later in January. It is an excellent piece but I recently bought a Sitka heavy weight hoody and I think it will give the Furnace a run for its money.
I think the furnace is solid for duck hunting! I use the heavyweight hoody a ton! It's almost always my layer after a core Lw long sleeve or similar for when I have to pack in a long distance because it breaths well and dries super well for me. I'm hoping I can find a good use for the furnace. Since I can't seem to kill a buck I'll be able to test it well into the late season and be sitting in the brutal cold with it lol.

OP
E
For you furnace guys- is anybody using it next to skin as a true baselayer?

Just so i'm understanding this topic. Its my understanding that the Kiln line is heavier weight wool than the furnace. Or do I have it backwards

*Edit

So the Furnace is the 250 weight and the Kiln is the 350 weight

And as I read this, people are saying the Furnace is is too warm and the Kiln is just right... Well damn.. I'm getting some furnace stuff because white tail hunting is about as cold as you'll get.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
"come fight me..." :ROFLMAO:

can't really fight you because I pretty much agree.

Furnace way warm for much activity but I do like it for horseback and cold glassing sits so mine still gets 5-10 days a year.

Kiln has been durable (got mine in 2018 and still going) and is more versatile as a layer.

ID_Matt

WKR
I just got back from a week in colorado and wore the furnace every day. Comfy like a sweatshirt, but actually breathes well. I wouldn't say it was crazy warm, but this time of year I thought it was great. Puffy over the top for glassing, or soft shell for some moving.

OP
E
Just so i'm understanding this topic. Its my understanding that the Kiln line is heavier weight wool than the furnace. Or do I have it backwards

*Edit

So the Furnace is the 250 weight and the Kiln is the 350 weight

And as I read this, people are saying the Furnace is is too warm and the Kiln is just right... Well damn.. I'm getting some furnace stuff because white tail hunting is about as cold as you'll get.
You'll probably love it for that!

OP
E
"come fight me..." :ROFLMAO:

can't really fight you because I pretty much agree.

Furnace way warm for much activity but I do like it for horseback and cold glassing sits so mine still gets 5-10 days a year.

Kiln has been durable (got mine in 2018 and still going) and is more versatile as a layer.
Way more versatile. You can use it as a base better too and it doesn't feel itchy to my skin at all. The furnace feels a touch itchy, and now that my wife has shrunk it in the dryer :,( it fits less good than it did before but the Kiln somehow survived that lol

OP
E
I just got back from a week in colorado and wore the furnace every day. Comfy like a sweatshirt, but actually breathes well. I wouldn't say it was crazy warm, but this time of year I thought it was great. Puffy over the top for glassing, or soft shell for some moving.
Glad you like it! I won't be throwing mine out, but I haven't fell in love with it quite yet. Maybe one day I'll find the perfect use!

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Way more versatile. You can use it as a base better too and it doesn't feel itchy to my skin at all. The furnace feels a touch itchy, and now that my wife has shrunk it in the dryer :,( it fits less good than it did before but the Kiln somehow survived that lol
I’m going skiing in Taos next month. Would the furnace be too hot to use as a base layer to ski at that high of an altitude?

Agross

WKR
I love the furnace top and bottom. I wear it next to the skin. Usually only wear em when it’s around freezing or colder. That being said the piece I have worn more than any other for years, is the chama, which was replaced by the kiln. If and when that finally dies I’ll be picking up a kiln. Such a versatile great piece.