First Lite or Kuiu Clothes

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
+1 on the FL puffy. I have worn it about three times. The biggest thing I noticed is how well it breaks the wind. FL is really stepping it up!

The first time I wore it I immediately wanted to compare it to the KUIU Superdown and the Spindrift, but that wasn't fair. Those are both quite minimal in terms of a jacket. They do great, they are very packable but the FL one is different. While it is packable, it is not AS packable as the KUIU stuff. I personally like the cut a bit better, When I put on the Superdown jacket I have to take stuff off usually to get it to fit, with the FL jacket I can litterally throw it on over whatever I am wearing and then take it off to stow it once I start moving again.

I think like Ryan said, it blocks the wind better and I believe it is a bit warmer then both of those as well. Pretty slick jacket for sure.

I don't think it is available yet, not sure on the price point either. Maybe someone will chime in with some more details. I am sure it will be available in June when all their stuff hits the market for 2013.

Slim Jim

WKR
I have the 2012 Kanab FL and they ripped in the knee and one on the thigh on a week hunt in the Rubys in August. I'll just use FL for base layers only in the future

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I'm.really interested in the new FL gear! Everyone who has tested it and fielded it says its fantastic gear. Looks extremely promising.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Kanab's have done fine for me so far. I hunt in a pants ripping shit hole,
that ate the Gila pant up the first day. So for a wool pant I give them a pass.

Whisky

WKR
The first time I wore it I immediately wanted to compare it to the KUIU Superdown and the Spindrift, but that wasn't fair. Those are both quite minimal in terms of a jacket. They do great, they are very packable but the FL one is different. While it is packable, it is not AS packable as the KUIU stuff. I personally like the cut a bit better, When I put on the Superdown jacket I have to take stuff off usually to get it to fit, with the FL jacket I can litterally throw it on over whatever I am wearing and then take it off to stow it once I start moving again.

I think like Ryan said, it blocks the wind better and I believe it is a bit warmer then both of those as well. Pretty slick jacket for sure.

Have you weighed it by chance? And the rain jacket?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
19oz for a large. It's like a kelvin jacket as far as warmth with a wind proof shell and a hood. I will use this jacket a lot in October/November/December and spring bear hunts. Mainly because of the cut. It's easy to put on over my outer ware. I have the superdown pullover that I will use for September archery hunts. I don't glass as much then.

Last edited:
Sorry, for not answering the questions in a more timely manor we have been on the road doing the show circuit. The new shell is 275 for dry earth and 299 for camouflage. The insulated jacket is 199 for dry earth and 225 for camouflage, and the pants will be 299 and available in camouflage only. The patterns featured are Realtree Xtra and max 1 as well as ASAT. The new products will be available late June. We are using Cocona based fabrics for the shell, insulation, as well as the soft shell. thanks

The Insulated jacket is 19.1 oz for a large. i dont have a small to weigh so its hard to compare as most listed weights are small unless they say otherwise. I would guess this jacket would be in the 14 oz range for a small. Also this jacket has reinforced forearms, elbows, and shoulders so that adds a couple oz. but we felt it was worth it.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
First Lite - do you have any projections on the inventory numbers you will be getting in June for the new gear? Just seeing because new great gear goes really fast then its the waiting game forever (kuiu)!

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I have both the Attack and Guide pants. They seem fairly durable but I did tear a hole in the Guide pants on a sharp rock in a wipe-out when lion hunting in Utah. Just put on some duct tape and kept going. I will send them to the recommended place for repair and they will be good to go. I don't think there is a pair of anything short of bullet proof that would have survived that fall. Not the pants fault, but you can tear them up in the right conditions. I don't thing the Attack pants are maybe as durable, but that may be because the Attacks aren't lined and just the feel. Unless you are cold-blooded, I wouldn't wear the Guide pants if it is warm.

We will take pre orders on the outer wear may 1st. It has been generating a lot of interest.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Kuiu sizing?? So i'm lookin to order a pair of the Attack pants today and seeing what people say about sizing now. I wear normally a 34x32 pant and a Medium in First Lite. I have muscular thighs (not freakishly large tho).

Will the 34" attack pant fit me or because its a "athletic fit" I might need to go to a 36" pant

Kuiu sizing?? So i'm lookin to order a pair of the Attack pants today and seeing what people say about sizing now. I wear normally a 34x32 pant and a Medium in First Lite. I have muscular thighs (not freakishly large tho).

Will the 34" attack pant fit me or because its a "athletic fit" I might need to go to a 36" pant

This is one thing that has always bothered me about "hunting" pants... You can order various waist sizes, but most of the inseams are the same for a given range of waist sizes! I know it'd be a big commitment production wise, but why not allow the customer to select sizes like we do in regular "casual" wear like Carhartt or Wrangler? I wear a 32x36 in Wranglers but I like a few inches of extra length for riding. Would love to see a 'technical' company come out with more sizing options...

Mike

Gman

WKR
I believe the inseam is a 35 on the 32s and 34s. I wear a 34 which fits my waist true to size and had to have my attack pants hemmed or I'd be walking all over them. They are cut generously but if your thighs are like Brian Shute's from Vision Quest then you may feel constricted. The 4-way stretch is great though, so even at first they feel "athletic" if you wear them around a little I bet you don't even notice after a while.

I believe the inseam is a 35 on the 32s and 34s. I wear a 34 which fits my waist true to size and had to have my attack pants hemmed or I'd be walking all over them. They are cut generously but if your thighs are like Brian Shute's from Vision Quest then you may feel constricted. The 4-way stretch is great though, so even at first they feel "athletic" if you wear them around a little I bet you don't even notice after a while.

You're referring to the Kryptek's correct? I haven't dealt with them but I bet I have 4-5 pairs of non name-brand pants hanging in the closet because they probably have a 30-32" inseam matched to my 32" waist and I feel like a logger in them...

Mike