First Lite or Kuiu Clothes

This is one thing that has always bothered me about "hunting" pants... You can order various waist sizes, but most of the inseams are the same for a given range of waist sizes! I know it'd be a big commitment production wise, but why not allow the customer to select sizes like we do in regular "casual" wear like Carhartt or Wrangler? I wear a 32x36 in Wranglers but I like a few inches of extra length for riding. Would love to see a 'technical' company come out with more sizing options...

Mike
string beans come to mind ;)

Gman

WKR
You're referring to the Kryptek's correct? I haven't dealt with them but I bet I have 4-5 pairs of non name-brand pants hanging in the closet because they probably have a 30-32" inseam matched to my 32" waist and I feel like a logger in them...

Mike

I was referring to the Kuiu Attack pant.

string beans come to mind ;)

Lean n mean is what I like to think of! haha :)

On a side note, I"m headed out the door for the weekend but I just got in some FirstLite gear and all I can say is WOW! That puffy is my favorite piece by far and the rain jacket is quality. I'll try to do a small video for you guys next week showing the differences in the puffy vs. the Kuiu Spindrift. The spindrift might be getting retired...

Mike

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Hey Mike.Definitely would like to see even a short little video. All I have seen of the puffy so far was a few pics and little video on Evan Williams phone.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Like Mike stated the puffy is my favorite piece as well. So if your wanting one pre-order:) Cause I bet they sell out!

but you seem like such a nice guy? lol
Ha we'll settle on bean poles then. :)

ArmyJoe,
I'll def put up a vid for you. I'll focus on the puffy n rain jacket but briefly cover some of the wool pieces I received too!

Definitely think these jackets will sell out quickly!

Mike

I'm building one of the owners an AR. A lot of the industry leaders will have products out to 'beta' testers... FirstLite is a great company and they want people to hear about their products before they are available. Thats the best answer I can give you.

Mike

How is everyone getting the new FL gear?

I wouldn't say 'everyone'... Ryan is an owner of this website which firstlite sponsors, no surprise there. Nick is a member of our military and truth be told I've sent him free sunglasses for that sole reason. Plus he's very very close to FirstLite headquarters. And you heard my reasoning above.

Mike

Whisky

WKR
No problem, makes sense....Just curious.

You guys that have them, did you get your puffy and rain jacket in the same size, and work OK for layering?

dotman

WKR
I wouldn't say 'everyone'... Ryan is an owner of this website which firstlite sponsors, no surprise there. Nick is a member of our military and truth be told I've sent him free sunglasses for that sole reason. Plus he's very very close to FirstLite headquarters. And you heard my reasoning above.

Mike

Haha, see everyone has it :)

Haha, see everyone has it :)

Nonsense ;)

Back on topic, here are a few pictures of the FL and Spindrift in their compression pockets. FL on the left, Kuiu on right.

I will say that warmth isn't even a contest at this point. The FL almost has a 'down-like' quality to it. When you pinch the jacket with your fingers front to back it's really not that much thicker than the spindrift but it lofts significantly better than the spindrift. When in the storage pocket you can squeeze the FL and hear more air escaping while the spindrift is more static.

The FL is heavier but I would wager by only a few ounces. Have to wait till I get back to my scale at home!

Sorry about the bad cellphone pics...
ezahuta6.jpg

apyru3yj.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
So I am home now (catching up on work, had a bit of inventory arrive so this morning has been pretty hectic) and I just weighed the FirstLite Puffy at 19.2 oz on my postage scale. Compared to the Kuiu Spindrift at 13.9oz... draw your own conclusions but for the extra warmth there is little doubt in my mind that the spindrift will likely be left at home more and more.

Still planning on doing a short video or pictures of the FL later this week. Likely will start it's own thread...

Mike

is the puffy sportin any sort of dwr?

I don't think so but can't say for sure... it's got a mixture of two different materials on the exterior that you will see in the video/pictures. I think this is to help facilitate breathability in the proper places, and wind block/noise control in other areas. Also really liking the hood feature on it. I wore it around all weekend in 30* temps and it was awesome...

Mike

Whisky

WKR
Looks like I could just leave the pillow at home when packing that puppy eh?!

Looks like I could just leave the pillow at home when packing that puppy eh?!

That is my plan.

I really think with a heavy merino baselayer, my springer vest and the puffy would get me down into the 10's or teens fairly easily. NO way I would do that with the Kuiu. However the FL will be a bit warm for Sept hunting that is for sure but those cold mornings when you're waiting for the sun to rise it would be nice...

On a different note, the FL Rainjacket is weighing in right at 20.4 oz. Not too bad, not too great. Only complaint with the design so far is it doesn't pack into it's own pocket...

Mike