First Lite or Kuiu...what's better overall?

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
X2...Jason has publicly stated his support for SFW and how great of an org he believes them to be, can't support that line of thinking.

I've had a little bit of heartburn about all the Kuiu gear I own ever since first reading some of Jason's statements about Don. It performs well and fits me great so I'm not going to just get rid of it all but I don't think I'll be buying any more unless he somehow comes out and denounces SFW soon.

Jimbo V

WKR
I have had both and prefer FL from a customer service perspective. Not any specific just the feel I got. All of the clothing brand from both are top notch. I run all FL now except for gloves. I like the FL fit better it's more "vagrant American comfortable fit" than Kuiu's somewhat "form fitting euro fit". Kuiu's guide and Yukon pro gloves are some of the best if not the best I have ever worn.
The one thing I dislike about Kuiu is the incredible amount of updates they make to their line. For example, a guy dumps a grand on clothes and by next season his top line hunting gear has been replaced by the same company with something bigger and better. If your marketing the best how can you keep coming up with better replacements every year? I understand they're expanding their line but they do this on current items not new product. I think there's more versions to one shirt from the Kuiu merino line than there's versions of iPhones!

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer first lite. There base layers are far better also they have expanded into the whitetail line which is what I really hunt most.

I have both, wear both and like both....but once you wear some attack pants, you'll love kuiu for making them.

That's true, the attack pants are amazing! KUIU's products, to me, are amazing! It just bums me out how disconnected they are from their customer base.

It's all over bowsite with quotes Jason posted on his forum about how great Don P and SFW are for hunters. After the backlash there I think he deleted quickly of his forum but the copy and paste is still on bowsite.

How many people where supporting SFW before all the bad press came out?....basically everyone that has ever been to the show for years. Lots of people got sold. I'd think Jason is human like everyone else.

Kind of Like CCA down here, grant it they aren't as bad as SFW but I find it funny when they are targeting Commercial waterman fishing permits all while having fundraisers with commercially caught shrimp, flounder and snapper.

Everyone going to boycott the other 347 Exhibitors that where at the show.

As far as kuiu vs first lite. I have more first lite merino then kuiu. Like the kuiu alpine pants a lot, use to love the attack pants they are still great just found the alpine as a better option for me.

I wish cabelas would pick up the full FL offering. Cabelas points make it an easy decision.

Last edited:
I have never had an issue with KUIU and I have well over 4k in it. No CS issues either. Guess I'm lucky.

My wife has the women's FL merino collection and it's real good as well.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
I own both lines. Love them both and usually mix em up. Little max-1/verde in winter and spring and fusion/vias/asat in summer. Seems to break up the human figure better. I like different things from both companies and have no favorites. Chinook pants and max-1 hooded chama is my go to gear for pig hunting in winter. In summer I can't wear anything more than the 125 merino and tiburon from Kuiu. FL guide pants are awesome but kinda noisy and the unpronounceable puffy is awesome but noisy as well. Kuiu outerwear is much quieter.
I have had great customer service from Kuiu. Broken Yukon set replaced no questions asked. I found a pair of attack pants that my wife was supposed to send back almost a year later and returned for store credit. I'm in NorCal so I swing by the showroom and they are really friendly and helpful. They basically know me by name.
It just sucks Kuiu is so popular. Seems like everybody is sporting it out here. On that note though I think your Kuiu will sell faster. People buy their gear and clothes like hot cakes.
As far as political alignment I don't know. It seems that Kuiu is making money hand over fist but I don't see them contributing to public land preservation, veterans, or hunters rights unlike Kuiu or Kryptek. Maybe I'm wrong and itheir contributions have slipped by me though.

dotman

WKR
How many people where supporting SFW before all the bad press came out?....basically everyone that has ever been to the show for years. Lots of people got sold. I'd think Jason is human like everyone else.

Kind of Like CCA down here, grant it they aren't as bad as SFW but I find it funny when they are targeting Commercial waterman fishing permits all while having fundraisers with commercially caught shrimp, flounder and snapper.

Not a clue as they have been a snake in the grass for many years, them and big game forever.

dotman

WKR
Everyone going to boycott the other 347 Exhibitors that where at the show.

As far as kuiu vs first lite. I have more first lite merino then kuiu. Like the kuiu alpine pants a lot, use to love the attack pants they are still great just found the alpine as a better option for me.

I wish cabelas would pick up the full FL offering. Cabelas points make it an easy decision.

Nope, companies need venues to exhibit their stuff but if their owners start to talk up how great SFW and Don P are for the avg Hunter then yes why would we support groups wanting to take our hunting heritage away?

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I'm out the loop but what is SFW doing to take away our hunters heritage. Educate me please...

dotman

WKR
Sorry I'm out the loop but what is SFW doing to take away our hunters heritage. Educate me please...

They believe the North American hunting model is a social welfare program and that hunting should be a capitalistic business and would like to see a model similar to Europe where only the rich can afford it. There is a ton more if you research them such as not giving back Utah money generated from Auction tag sales and not being transparent with their money earned from the expo in Utah.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Damn ok. I just did my homework. Being way out west I've never heard of this. 30% vs. 100% is super shady.

OP
H
I won't lie,Kuiu makes some of the best stuff, and I'm not gonna just go and sell all my stuff, but I prefer First Lite now more than ever. As for Jason and Kuiu I would love to see a refreshed mission statement from the company and who they support and don't support in the hunting community. I'm wondering if Jason didn't know about all the stuff with SFW before publicly supporting them. Heck I used to be a strong supporter of the wounded warrior foundation before hearing of all the dirt on them.

Either way I would like to see Kuiu more involved in the conservation movement as much as First Lite's unwavering faith is.

All in all, can't go wrong with either brand for performance. Thanks for everyone's feedback and input. Happy Hunting and hats off to both brands for being the best out there!

I've had no issues with my Kuiu gear and I own almost all of their gear. I do not own a piece of FL, but have heard great things about their wool. Everyone that I hunt with uses either Kuiu, Sitka, or Core4Element. My scouting setup is all Sitka. It has been easier to get solids in Sitka. Kuiu's selection on solids is limited. Especially discounted, like on classifieds.

Gobbler36

WKR
Innocent until proven guilty I guess but I can't see how a guy like mewho lives on the other side of the country and comes out west to hunt 2-3 times a year knows about SFW and keeps a breast on public land issues and the like, and then the owner of Kuiu who is selling to hunters just like myself could not be aware of the same issues and some, my problem is if they don't support SFW that's all good but they sure don't go out of their way like FL to make sure everyone knows they are in support of BHA and the like, and push for rights of the public land hunter. Just my two cents

T43

Lil-Rokslider
Politics aside. I've had great CS dealing with FL. I really like the Kanab 2.0 and other FL layers I have and will have no hesitation purchasing from them again.

Politics included FL is probably one of the best companies out there for supporting public land hunters.