First Mountain Goat Hunt

charvey9

WKR
First Mountain Goat Hunt Success

It was 1994 the first time I saw a Mountain Goat. My uncle, who lived in Montana at the time, got lucky in the draw and my dad and I made a road trip that summer to aid in scouting. I always admired the animals after that, but it would be another 19 years before we crossed paths in the wild while I was hunting elk in Oregon high country. That encounter in the fall of 2013 rekindled an interest to pursue, and while reevaluating my hunting priorities last year Mountain Goat jumped to the top of the list.

I booked this hunt with Nanika Lake Outfitters roughly 15 months ago after several weeks of research and talking to outfitters and friends in an attempt to find the perfect hunt. Of course, price was a factor, but I was really in search of a pure backpack hunt. Although I have nothing against float planes, jet boats or ATV's, pursuing a goat on foot with nothing but the pack on my back was a large part of the romantic vision of hunting these creatures.

The hunt I chose ended up being very unique opportunity on Nadina Mountain in North Central BC. According to the guide, mine would be just one of two tags issued on the Mountain this season. We hiked in and set up camp on an opposite ridge that was part of their winter range, with an ideal glassing spot just minutes from the tent.

Nadina Mountain:

Of course, the goats were congregated in the roughest, ugliest, steepest part of the mountain:

Camp after a few days:

Hunting on a single mountain simplified things a bit, but also included a whole new set of challenges. I was gung-ho about charging up after the first Billy we identified on day one, but luckily the guide was there to reign me in. An aggressive move could have spooked everything off the mountain and left nothing to hunt for the remainder of the week.

I had high hopes of going after one with a bow, and although it was possible on this mountain the limited cover and open terrain leading to the bedding/watering area required ideal conditions. After careful glassing and observation, we planned and attempted bow stalks to bedded Billys the first four days of the hunt. All were foiled by nannies and kids popping up seemingly out of no where between us and the target, risking to bump everything off the mountain if we continued. Retreat was required. One afternoon we spent several hours uncomfortably pinned down on a rock slide while we had a staring contest with a nannie a few hundred yards off.

On the mountain with my bow:

Epic Views:

That white spot is a nanny giving us the eye one afternoon:

Last edited:
OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
We knew bad weather would be rolling in on day 6, so the 5th day was likely my last opportunity to get a goat. We had put one to bed the night before just above the only canyon with water. When he wasn't anywhere to be seen that morning we were pretty sure he had dropped down for a drink, and would be popping back up to sun after the clouds burned off but had no way of knowing where or on which side. With little intel we pushed to get up above him early in hopes he would emerge in a reachable location.

It ended up being the right move, we just picked the wrong side of the canyon for a bow opportunity. After some reflection I opted to take what the mountain gave me and maneuvered in for a rifle shot just 180 yards out and slightly above his location. One squeeze and it was all over. I was very thankful for the quick kill, and the billy anchored in position without moving a muscle. No meat, hide, or horn damage to worry about.

Moments after the shot:

It took about an hour to get down and back around to his perch on the opposite ridge. The grassy knoll was a perfect spot for pictures and had just enough room to work, but treacherously steep on either side. Really had to watch what you were doing to avoid losing goat, pack, or myself down the cliff.

Thankful for this opportunity and amazing animals:

I let my guide handle most of the skinning, since I had never done a goat, but like getting bloody so insisted on handling the meat. I got just about everything I could, and look forward to some interesting meals this fall.

Digging in for the tenderloin and edible organs:

Goat, its whats for dinner:

Last edited:
OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
Getting up there was one thing, but not afraid to say that climbing down with a full pack was one of the sketchiest things I've ever done. It was white knuckle intense in several situations where a wrong move would have ended very badly.

That rocky spot over my left shoulder was our camp/glassing spot:

One foot after the other I made it all the way back to camp and was spent, but the exhaustion came with an overwhelming sense of satisfaction and desire to refuel with some fresh protein.

Fresh goat heart on the mountain....once of life's rare treats:

Although I fell a little short of my goal in taking a Mountain Billy with a bow, I am glad that this leaves me a driving reason to return and try again. Very happy with my take. I'm not a numbers guy, but this billy went right at 9" horns with 6" bases at 5 years old. Can't wait to do this again.

Amazing post, story, and pictures. Memories that will stay with you forever. Congratulations and absolutely no shame in adapting and using the rifle. Enjoy hunting stories such as yours. Gets the blood pumping!

Vids

WKR
Congrats on a nice billy! Sounds like you'll have some great memories. My goat hunt a few years ago is still one of my favorite hunts to look back on.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
What a great story with amazing pictures to bring us along on the hunt with you. A very big congrats!

Beautiful pictures and write up, congratulations on a job well done! I'm taking my son down to Kodiak for his first goat hunt in 4 days, and this kind of stuff really gets the blood pumping.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonderful story and photos, sounds like an awesome trip. Mountain goat makes my favorite ground meat, it's delicious in everything....enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Buckman

WKR
Way cool story and pics Chad. Its great you got to do something that began so long ago. What rifle and caliper did you use? Again congrats and thanks for sharing the hunt.

OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
Thanks all for the comments. I don't really think it has had time to sink in yet. Archery season just started here in Oregon, so by the time I finished eating that heart I had elk and deer on my mind. lol

Thanks for the tip Becca. Would not have thought ground goat meat would be that good, but I'll be trying some real soon.

I used a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Mag. First animal I have ever shot with this rifle.

kodiakfly

WKR
Congratulations on a nice goat. I'm living vicariously through other goat hunters this season. Great pics and hunt!