First RF binos?

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for opinions on first RF binos. I was considering the meopta, Lecia Geovid R, Vortex fury and Nikon. I’m more concerned with try them working and how well. I know vortex warranty, but I’d rather have something that’s not gonna need it. I’ve been running binos and an old vortex ranger that’s been replaced a few times. But the two part system has caused me grief
. Around this price range what’s some opinions? This will be for whitetail and pig hunting.

Shot

FNG
Have had my leica Geovids for over 5 years. Never had one issues and ranges well. Would buy it again in a heart beat.

I’ll go against the grain and recommend the Fury AB’s. Fantastic range finder. The glass is OK but very usable. They’re also the only company I’m aware of that has a lifetime electronics on the electronics, AND they’re the cheapest way to get into RFBs.

If I had to find a negative it’s the output time. It’s very manageable, but it takes 3 seconds from the time you beam something to get your shooting solution.

You strictly rifle hunting or will you be archery hunting as well? All of my buddies have went back to a 2 piece system for archery. Personally, I’ve never left.

I sent my 10x42 Geovid R's back to the dealer because they were defective out of the box. Beyond the obvious issues, the image quality kind of sucked (only 60% of the FOV wasn't blurry), and the beam divergence was pretty fat. The usable FOV did have a good image although there's enough of a difference in tint between the two barrels that it caused me eye fatigue. I wouldn't buy them again nor would I recommend them.

Between those options I'd probably give the Meoptas a try.

Sig Sauer Kilo 3ks have been solid performers for me. Glass is just ok but the rangefinder is probably the best out there with solid app for out to 800yds. Very fast and accurate. The 6k have better glass and more powerful RF.

I use my buddies Swaro EL range once in awhile. Much better for glassing obviously but that rangefinder is SLOW. I thought I was doing something wrong at first.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
You strictly rifle hunting or will you be archery hunting as well? All of my buddies have went back to a 2 piece system for archery. Personally, I’ve never left.

Rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGRaider

WKR
GPO 10x50 has the best combination of optics and RF on the market. After 3 failed attempts with Leica to get a unit that actually worked, I went with the AB's. Their RF puts Leica to shame, glass is more than usable as it gets you way past legal shooting light.

I'm enjoying my new Geovid R's. my only complaint is that there is about a half-second wait between subsequent ranges. It took a long time to get the dual diopters set properly, before getting that right i thought the glass was awful, now i think it's pretty good. instant ranges out to 1980 yards for me, including multiple ranges on elk last week at 979 yards.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
So the reason I want these is. I use a ranger 1000, and 8x32 binos it works. Kinda. It’s died once maybe twice . And got replacement. No issue. It’s a 6x something with a very blue tint and poor quality. So that last few mins of daylight it very hard use to useless. In good conditions you can see but getting a reading I trust can be difficult. The reticle and laser definite don’t line up. So I usually do a scan until I get a number in expecting.
Also the time it takes to spot a deer on binos, swap to ram he finder and get about 5 ranges then go to gun. I’ve missed a few deer simply due to time.
I really like the Allen in none unit but I do worry that I’ll end up with a expensive pair of mod grade binos. But I feel like the price and quality is getting into a range I feel comfortable jumping in now. I was leaning towards the lecia and the vortex (pure warranty ) but I read the article above and considering the meopta. I have some meopta scopes and been very impressed

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
GPO 10x50 has the best combination of optics and RF on the market. After 3 failed attempts with Leica to get a unit that actually worked, I went with the AB's. Their RF puts Leica to shame, glass is more than usable as it gets you way past legal shooting light.

What issues did you have with the lecia, just RF not working at all?

JGRaider

WKR
What issues did you have with the lecia, just RF not working at all?

Mine were the 3200.com's. The RF wouldn't range past 700 yards no matter if it was cloudy, sunny, partly cloudy, etc, even in temps above 70*. They tried fixing them twice to no avail, then they finally relented (after a couple of months) and sent me a new set. The new set had a broken eyepiece. I finally got another brand new set (another 6 weeks), and sold them.

Had the 2200's (403 model) before that and they wouldn't range anything when temps got to freezing or below.

I always say, seriously, if you're going to own Leica bino/rf units, you better have Hamilton Boykin's phone number saved in your phone. He's the only reason it got sorted out at all, and this isn't the first time I've heard it.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I found a “like new” demo pair of the fury 5000 for less than $900 at eurooptic so for that price . So I’ll try those

rcook10

WKR
Sig Sauer Kilo 3ks have been solid performers for me. Glass is just ok but the rangefinder is probably the best out there with solid app for out to 800yds. Very fast and accurate. The 6k have better glass and more powerful RF.

I use my buddies Swaro EL range once in awhile. Much better for glassing obviously but that rangefinder is SLOW. I thought I was doing something wrong at first.
I have the new 6ks and have been very pleased. Previously had 3ks for 3 years which had a gravity accident and led to replacement with the 6ks