First set up with SO Silvertip

Skull10

WKR
I decided to give it another try with a floorless shelter. First one was a Mountain Shelter LT. It was too cramped sleeping on one side of the poles.

I bought a SO Silvertip with a stove jack and set it up for the fist time yesterday. I think I staked it to tight to the ground and maybe didn't use enough set back on the stakes. The first few photos were taken from the first set up. It was very tight inside and I lost a lot of leg and head room.

I removed all the stakes and set it up again, using more setback while staking it out and I allowed the stake loops to be and inch or two off the ground. The fourth photo shows there is less Bell affect to the pitch and there was much more room inside. I was able to raise the tarp higher but I ran out of room with my trekking pole.

20190411_184807.jpg20190411_184837.jpg20190411_184826.jpg20190411_184816.jpg

I ordered a line lock kit and I am thinking about ordering the SO carbon fiber pole to be able to raise the tarp up higher to allow more ventilation and interior space. Does anyone have any set up advise for taking out more of the bell effect and is the SO carbon fiber pole worth it? Or should I look for extra long trekking poles?

I have watched all the set up videos out there and I could use some experienced advise.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Taller pole. You can use our trekking pole linking kit if your is not tall enough .. or simply put it on a rock.

I stake may four corners out relatively snug that move one end in 3"
Regarding a pole.I got one from REI . I trimmed a few inches off and it comes in just under 10 oz. For about $30.00

sneaky

"DADDY"
I decided to give it another try with a floorless shelter. First one was a Mountain Shelter LT. It was too cramped sleeping on one side of the poles.

I bought a SO Silvertip with a stove jack and set it up for the fist time yesterday. I think I staked it to tight to the ground and maybe didn't use enough set back on the stakes. The first few photos were taken from the first set up. It was very tight inside and I lost a lot of leg and head room.

I removed all the stakes and set it up again, using more setback while staking it out and I allowed the stake loops to be and inch or two off the ground. The fourth photo shows there is less Bell affect to the pitch and there was much more room inside. I was able to raise the tarp higher but I ran out of room with my trekking pole.

View attachment 95749View attachment 95750View attachment 95751View attachment 95752

I ordered a line lock kit and I am thinking about ordering the SO carbon fiber pole to be able to raise the tarp up higher to allow more ventilation and interior space. Does anyone have any set up advise for taking out more of the bell effect and is the SO carbon fiber pole worth it? Or should I look for extra long trekking poles?

I have watched all the set up videos out there and I could use some experienced advise.
I would get a pole from Bear Paw or from Ruta Locura.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've learned that when you see a lot of flare-out at the perimeter, you need more setback, and a little taller pole.

I put some 550 cord extensions on my stake loops, and use a 60" pole. That seems to maximize the interior space, and give some ventilation.

kVqE1qR.jpg

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
Thanks for the input and photo Marine. I ordered the line lock kit and made a PVC pole extention as suggested by Zap. I think this will give a lot more interior space as well. I have seen a few youtube videos of the Silvertip, those showed a good amount of space inside for one man.

Jbehredt

WKR
I've learned that when you see a lot of flare-out at the perimeter, you need more setback, and a little taller pole.

I put some 550 cord extensions on my stake loops, and use a 60" pole. That seems to maximize the interior space, and give some ventilation.

kVqE1qR.jpg

I see two packs in your photo. Room for you and a buddy to sit up in the Silvertip? I’m in the same boat as the op, looking for more room than the mountainsmith, but for two in my case. Just be nice to sit up straight and pull some clothes on in the morning.

I see two packs in your photo. Room for you and a buddy to sit up in the Silvertip? I’m in the same boat as the op, looking for more room than the mountainsmith, but for two in my case. Just be nice to sit up straight and pull some clothes on in the morning.

Yes there's enough room for two to sit up. Wife and I sit in there with Helinox Ground Chairs, makes a great dayhike or spotting shelter from wind or whatever. I'm 6'3", she is 5'3".

XV2sDdD.jpg

I just got a dedicated pole for it, 54-64" adjustable. I ordered from BPWD, but now Seek Outside offers a dedicated pole, so I'd just go that route.

Jbehredt

WKR
Yes there's enough room for two to sit up. Wife and I sit in there with Helinox Ground Chairs, makes a great dayhike or spotting shelter from wind or whatever. I'm 6'3", she is 5'3".

XV2sDdD.jpg

I just got a dedicated pole for it, 54-64" adjustable. I ordered from BPWD, but now Seek Outside offers a dedicated pole, so I'd just go that route.

Thanks a million. 6’2” and 5’4” here. That photo tells me exactly what I wanted to know.

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
Here is the pole with the pvc extention. Nothing special, but only $4 worth of materials. I'll set it up, once it dries out around here. I believe it will be fine, if not, I'll look at other options. Lux makes a great trekking pole extention for $19 that inserts into the pole, but they are out of stock right now. You can see some slight deflection in the pole/extention because of the loose fit in the last photo. I don't think it will matter, the tip is in there 3".

20190413_163744.jpg20190413_163806.jpg20190413_163818.jpg

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
If you are gonna run a stove make sure to put that pvc at the bottom. Too hot at the peak next to the stove pipe.

Ask me why I know.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the way I'm gonna run it now. If I go stove for winter, which I probably will, I'm going to get the dedicated SO carbon fiber pole for $100.

Thanks for the heads up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's the way I'm gonna run it now. If I go stove for winter, which I probably will, I'm going to get the dedicated SO carbon fiber pole for $100.

Thanks for the heads up.
I would get the aluminum pole from BPWD. I've got the SO adjustable pole for my LBO and just not a big fan of it. I trust aluminum in spades over carbon for shelter poles. Just me though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
FYI - We see fewer breakages in CF poles vs aluminum honestly . The smaller poles for shelters Cimarron on down I have never known of a breakage of our CF pole . I have seen customers report breakage from aluminum REI and the like. Just an FYI.

sveltri

WKR
I have both pole extension options from SO, the strap extension is what I prefer. You have a ton of adjustment by lashing two trekking poles together.