First stab at item list for day pack…

Agree with kwackkillncrew on one item in particular - InReach. I use the mini, even take it in my BCD when diving using the Garmin waterproof case. FYI if you have one, don't let your 4 year-old get ahold of it, SAR services are not amused by accidental activation.

OP
P
Agree with kwackkillncrew on one item in particular - InReach. I use the mini, even take it in my BCD when diving using the Garmin waterproof case. FYI if you have one, don't let your 4 year-old get ahold of it, SAR services are not amused by accidental activation.
Will have this and likely tote Sat phone as well.
2512EFFE-62AA-428E-B89D-F5501E73316E.jpeg

We have definitely had bears show up in the first 24 hours to claim a carcass. We bust our butts to get the carcass cleaned up rapidly and the meat away from it. As long as the pack-in isn't far, we run loads all the way. A couple times we've moved bags of meat 250 yards off the dead bull and cached it cross-wind to help avoid detection. But you won't fool any bear's nose if they pick up the scent. I believe the great unknown is whether there are any or many grizzlies in your neighborhood around the time of the kill. I've personally flown past my bull's butchered carcass and watched a big silvertip standing right over it.

That said.....

I never pack any butchering gear in my day pack. Zero. A kill is followed by a trip to camp (and that's never terribly far if you're hunting sensibly on foot) to assemble butchering gear, eat something, notify pilot, etc. Then we head to the dead bull and set to work making meat. It might just be coincidence but basically all my bull kills have been early to mid-morning which is great for getting the cutting finished.

My day pack is actually pretty thin on gear. I used to think I needed all kinds of 'what if this happens?' stuff, but the truth is I carry what I want and let the rest of it stay in camp.

OP
P
We have definitely had bears show up in the first 24 hours to claim a carcass. We bust our butts to get the carcass cleaned up rapidly and the meat away from it. As long as the pack-in isn't far, we run loads all the way. A couple times we've moved bags of meat 250 yards off the dead bull and cached it cross-wind to help avoid detection. But you won't fool any bear's nose if they pick up the scent. I believe the great unknown is whether there are any or many grizzlies in your neighborhood around the time of the kill. I've personally flown past my bull's butchered carcass and watched a big silvertip standing right over it.

That said.....

I never pack any butchering gear in my day pack. Zero. A kill is followed by a trip to camp (and that's never terribly far if you're hunting sensibly on foot) to assemble butchering gear, eat something, notify pilot, etc. Then we head to the dead bull and set to work making meat. It might just be coincidence but basically all my bull kills have been early to mid-morning which is great for getting the cutting finished.

My day pack is actually pretty thin on gear. I used to think I needed all kinds of 'what if this happens?' stuff, but the truth is I carry what I want and let the rest of it stay in camp.
10-4. That all makes sense. Especially the “hunting sensibly” part. That part is going to be tough for the way I’m wired.

That said.....

Exactly ......