First time Idaho DIY elk..

87TT

WKR
They actually increased them. I think 77 is the increased amount.
Sorry that was for Sawtooth.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Biologists will tell you that the peak of the rut generally coincides with the Autumnal Equinox, which this year falls on September 23rd. They will also tell you that the rut will be in full swing for about ten days on either side of that date. This year, there will be a full moon from the 13th thru about the 18th, which I have found to be a hindrance, especially if you like to hunt the pre-rut. Practice, practice, practice with your cow call. That's the key if you hunt early. There will be a magic day or two before the 23rd when it all comes together. Persistence, patience...and luck.

You will need more than luck if you want to snag a Sawtooth tag. Gone in 60 seconds.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
I wasnt looking too hard at the sawtooth tag, just saw the success rates on gohunt and looked decided it was worth looking into a bit more. I've been playing phone tag with the biologist for about 2 weeks but at least he's willing to call back, that's a good sign. The more I learn about strategy and calling the more I wonder how hunting partially open country will be? Do you guys hunt them much outside of the timber?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the info you guys. I wish like hell there was wilderness area there so I could at least guarantee being away from road hunters and ATV traffic, but it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

snopro176, how did your hunt go? I am heading up this year in October and have been E-scouting trying to get a plan together. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
snopro176, how did your hunt go? I am heading up this year in October and have been E-scouting trying to get a plan together. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
It was a hell of an experience. Got into elk the first tonight out. Got right in his face the next day and blew him out. Truck camped, tent camped, motel camped. Ended up shooting a cow in the 3rd day and hauled meat in the rain all night, it was incredible. We didnt see a single other guy walking, might have called back n forth to one, but a lot in trucks or on atvs. Only saw elk 3 times and just happened to get lucky with the cow. I'd feel pretty solid going back but also checking the rest of the u it out as well. It was pretty open up there which I'm still not sure was good or bad.
9b6ed96239a1b3f44fdc3c147b771640.jpg
6268686feb2ca53dc2a07d3e86a2f3dc.jpg
b3a5f7c24dc10332f50825f0c8c5fce2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PARA1977

FNG
Awesome Hunt I’m glad for you! I hunted 17 saw A few elk one good bull but couldn’t make it happen
I can say that they were very quite between the 15th and 21st. but did manage to get a decent Mule deer buck.A7D3DD77-30DA-4385-A464-85D26C89DC09.jpeg

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t get all worried about the other people..just do what YOU can do to get on elk. They aren’t always that far from the road. They will be where you find them

This is so true. Last year in a heavily trafficked area I stopped off the road at 0500 and ripped off a bugle just after turning up into National Forest. Response.....30 yds off the road with two satellites 100yds off to the sides. Just goes to show you they are where they are and not always where you expect them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So awesome to see you had a great experience and came out with meat. I am considering on going here for a rifle hunt this year. Hoping to also come out with meat. Don't particularly care to harvest a trophy, it will be my first elk hunt.

WIarrow

FNG
May want to give Lemhi a look if you don’t plan to go back for rifle hunt (archery only) Most of the Idaho/Montana boarder units south of Salmon hold good numbers of elk. We’ve hunted a few ... always seem to find a few elk.

I’ve also hunted central Idaho units ... wolves chased us out ... elk numbers declined a bunch in the early 2000’s. Same story for the northern units.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Thanks everyone! Im trying to talk myself into going back this year, I feel WAY better knowing what I know now but it would be solo this time around. We are having our second kid next month as well and even though the wife says she can handle it, it may be a trap that bites me in the ass later hahaha. But after last year, the thought of not chasing elk even for one year sounds borderline unreasonable, I don't want to miss another September as long as I live. Its bad you guys..

There is a good amount of elk in the Weiser river zone, as others have mentioned they can and do move to private with pressure. However with onx it's very possible to find those pockets of public that the elk use/travel through...

Sled

WKR
Thanks everyone! Im trying to talk myself into going back this year, I feel WAY better knowing what I know now but it would be solo this time around. We are having our second kid next month as well and even though the wife says she can handle it, it may be a trap that bites me in the ass later hahaha. But after last year, the thought of not chasing elk even for one year sounds borderline unreasonable, I don't want to miss another September as long as I live. Its bad you guys..

tough call. i worked wildland fire when my first kid was born. being away 2 weeks at a time was tough. with your second kid the expectations are there. the wildcard is how the first kid reacts. a helper is good. the jealous kids can act out and make it hard on a solo mom.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
tough call. i worked wildland fire when my first kid was born. being away 2 weeks at a time was tough. with your second kid the expectations are there. the wildcard is how the first kid reacts. a helper is good. the jealous kids can act out and make it hard on a solo mom.
Thats what I'm worried about. I'm considering being gone no more than 5 days total, just long enough to hit my spots and either it works or it doesn't. Its not ideal but I can say I tried and I'm not gone too terribly long.