First whitetail hunt, first rifle hunt

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I have posted our stories here and there about my son and me just getting into hunting together. Well, it's been about six years now so I can't play the new kid on the block anymore. After a not-so-spectacular elk hunting archery season here in Colorado I am fortunate enough to be able to take my son on a rifle hunt to Nebraska.

This adventure began in June when I switched careers. I was a mechanical engineer for 21 years and made the move as a territory sales manager. My sanity has been questioned a few times coming from a world of aerospace engineering, seeing some amazing work at the likes of Lockheed Martin, Boeing, some robotics engineering, seven years in nuclear engineering, and back to aerospace engineering. But, in 21 years I faced 4 layoffs and had 4 companies go out of business. I love sales and I am all about building relationships.

Soon after my new career took off I found myself at a golf tournament. I was in a foursome with a customer who's father was a retired CEO at a big outdoors company based out of Nebraska. lol After kerplunking my golf ball into a pond I made the comment that I should have brought my fly rod so I could just stay here and fish the pond. That of course opened up the conversation of fishing which quickly turned to hunting.

I mentioned that my son and I were fairly new to hunting but that we were having a lot of fun learning. Unfortunately though, my son had never had a good opportunity at an animal. That's when this gentleman made an offer for us to come join him in January for a whitetail doe hunt. Seems the family has a private lease that is over-run with whitetail deer and he wanted us to come hang out for a weekend!

In the six years my son and I have been hunting we have only archery hunted for deer and elk. We did some bird hunting with the shotguns and some small game hunting with his .22 but we have never done a large caliber rifle hunt, and we have never hunted whitetail! Can't wait!

June is many months in the rear-view and we have been ridiculously busy with life. Now, with the Holidays behind us it's time to hunt! We leave Friday morning and return Sunday evening.

We should be on the land to hunt by 9:00 am on Friday so I will try to do a semi-live update if anyone is interested over the course of the weekend.

I am excited and a little nervous for my son. I was told to make sure we bring enough cooler space to bring home four deer. Should be an exciting weekend!

Tom

P.S. Not that it means anything but another amazing part of the whole deal is that since I am taking a customer (or, he is taking us rather), the whole thing is a business expense. Feeling very fortunate!

atfrith

FNG
Looking forward to the write-up Tom, you guys will have a blast. If all goes well, hopefully you'll have some meat that I can help you process soon! My fancy new grinder needs breaking in...