Firstlite Gear Suggestions?

davfull

FNG
Hello,

I deer hunt (rifle, from Nov-Dec) in Western NY, the past few years I have been freezing and it has impacted my ability to sit out all day. The temperatures have been around 10 degrees in the morning and warming up to maybe 30s? in the day.

I have purchased the FL Sanctuary jacket and bibs to keep me warm while I sit in the stand/blind. However, I still need to figure out my layers.. I would like to be able to strip off the Sanctuary set as the day warms up and I become more active (helping someone drag out a deer, or stalking). What is a good layer which can substitute as an outerwear as the day warms up or I become more active? Also, is it annoying having hoods on multiple layers?

I was thinking of one of the following setups.
Body
-------------------
Furnace base layer
Sawtooth/Klamath/Catalyst Jacket (This would be used as my outerwear when the day is to warm for Sanctuary)
Sanctuary Jacket (already bought)

Legs
-------------------
Furnice base layer
Catalyst Pants (This would be used as my outerwear when the day is to warm for Sanctuary)
Sanctuary Bibs (already bought)

Head
-------------------
Tundra balaclava (already bought)
Merino beanie (already bought)

Socks
--------------------
Zero Cold Weather Crew Sock (already bought)

Gloves
--------------------
Alpine Cold Weather Glove (already bought)

Thanks,
Dave

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
For layering up top I really like merino base and then the klamath with a puffy vest. I also dont like a lot of hoods so I only have a hood on my baselayer(wick hoody).

Sawtooth would also be a great option

Sammymusi

WKR
I'll agree with alot of hoods. My set (I live in pa winters aren't going to be as brutal) my go to is Llano, kiln hoodie, sawtooth jacket , then once it gets colder ill throw the Woodbury over that, as for legs I don't have it nailed down but I use the catalyst pants as long as I can tolerate , once it gets too cold I have a pair of under armour wool insulated pants( as im not a fan of bibs) and i can sit all day long

Hondo

WKR
Ditto on the watching out for superfluous hoods in you kit. I have Klamath & Halstead (previous model FL grid fleece) QZ's that I wear over a base layer (Wick or Llano) and then add a vest (Uncompahgre or Springer) and/or Sawtooth or Catalyst jacket when needed. I would suggest you consider a vest such as the Uncompahgre or Brooks Down in you kit as they pack smaller can add a lot of warmth without restricting your arm movement as multiple arm layers can do.

OP
D

davfull

FNG
Ditto on the watching out for superfluous hoods in you kit. I have Klamath & Halstead (previous model FL grid fleece) QZ's that I wear over a base layer (Wick or Llano) and then add a vest (Uncompahgre or Springer) and/or Sawtooth or Catalyst jacket when needed. I would suggest you consider a vest such as the Uncompahgre or Brooks Down in you kit as they pack smaller can add a lot of warmth without restricting your arm movement as multiple arm layers can do.

Do you feel that wearing a base layer, klamath and a vest will be plenty warm by themselves if/when I remove the Sanctuary jacket after the day warms up? Thinking temps above 30F. Or would you suggest keeping a Catalyst jacket on hand to change out into?

Hondo

WKR
If I'm sitting in the 30's I would still want my Catalyst or Sawtooth, especially if it is windy or humid but I wear a lighter base layer than what you are talking about. The Wick is 150g and the Llano is 170g compared to the 350g Furnace. I run hot though and start sweating just thinking about the Furnace.

I think you have really zeroed in on your ideal options. I hunt similar conditions here in the midwest. My preference would be the catalyst set. The catalyst isn't much for insulation but it is an ideal set for walking into stand, you can then throw sanctuary over it when you get to stand. The furnace set is a must have, but if you wear it with catalyst and walk much you will be sweating. I would also keep a puffy around.

rghent

FNG
I hunt in the Northeast, mostly western MA and saw most similar conditions to what your describing. The late season got pretty brutal last year and I made the mistake of over layering on my way into my stand and adjusted after a day of sweaty/cold misery. I feel like I’m able to better temperature regulate without taking my jacket off than I am my legs so I don’t pack a separate outer shell. Simply unzip the KitLink zips and unzip the jacket and I’m good

I packed the sanctuary bibs and solitude jacket to the stand with me and wore in

kiln hoody
Sawtooth hybrid
Uncompahgre vest ( took of the vest once cooled down in the stand)

bottom
Furnace long johns
Corrugate guide pants

I always take my bibs off no matter what on the way in/out cause I typically have longer walks in. I also typically feel that if my core is adequately regulated I don’t need to worry about how cold/warm my legs are so the bibs stay on in the stand. When the temps dropped I had my vest, but early season when it was a touch warmer I ran this same setup without the bibs and subbed catalyst jacket for the solitude with my vest if it was too cold and that was a money setup for me.

hope this helps, butafter last year I found a little trial and error is the only way to get truly dialed.