Fishing Key Largo

edwal

FNG
So... headed to Key Largo and Duck Key 11/1 for a week any advice on what to use ? Mainly just casting from a dock or shore. Not looking to catch anything huge just something to have fun and pass the time. Thanks, Ed

sram9102

WKR
All of my fishing down there has been on Marathon. Live shrimp will be your friend. Fishing from the bank can be difficult due to how slow the water gets any depth to it. Chum can help a lot too if your on a canal that has any flow too it. We have seen some big nurse sharks in the canals.

wavygravy

FNG
Mangrove snapper will be around every dock, smaller circle hooks and dead shrimp will work on the little guys, but the big ones are fairly smart and hook shy. If you can get a kayak there will be opportuities for cuda and grouper around the mangroves, maybe tarpon too.

Headboat trips are fun if you're trying to fill a cooler, braided line helps on those or they'll supply the tackle. Really feeling fancy? Get a guide, they can show you around and go after whatever you're interested in. Dont forget to swing by Robbies and feed the pooons! Touristy AF, but I love it still.

FLATHEAD

WKR
It's a unique place.
Everything eats shrimp.
My son was around 5 y/o when we went and he caught
a Lobster, shark sucker, scrawled cowfish, snappers, etc...
Think light tackle.

Catch a bait fish and throw out a bottom bouncer presentation. Kind of like a catfish rig. Throw it out at dark and let it sit while you're socializing. Might luck into a shark.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Loper

WKR
I fished down there last summer and rented a kayak I explored and fished a bunch of the small mangrove islands on the bay side. Caught a bunch of small barracuda and sharks and some mangrove snapper. I fished the bay side since it was where my hotel was. Since then I’ve heard that the ocean side is better fishing.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
You won’t have much shore action from either spot. Fish the bridges if you really want to fish. You’ll see the people out there as you drive. You can rent a 20’ boat fairly easily, I’d suggest that to fish and snorkel when you get to Duck key. Some great snorkeling off Duck key.

Robbies is a must, you can rent boats or kayaks there also. Theater by the Sea is a good stop for the kids.

some fishing info
Florida Sportsman

You’ll want to spend more time in Duck Key rather then Key Largo. Too me keys don’t start till I hit Islamorada.

PM if u have any ?

OP
edwal

edwal

FNG
Thanks for the input all. Yeah I’ve been to Robbies a few times and it is impressive. Went this past May and did go out on a charter trip. Caught a good amount of snappers and a small shark. The first place I’m staying at has a nice dock so I figured I’d at least try there mornings and evenings. Might go on another trip but just winging it.