Fishing lodge Northern Minnesota

Wheels

WKR
Anyone fish in northern Minnesota that could recommend a good lodge with decent boat rental? We decided to not deal with the border this year and are looking for a good place with cabins and good boats on a good lake or lake of the woods. Be 4 of us going and don’t need a guide for fishing.

hunterjmj

WKR
Our family stayed at Sand Lake Minnesota in 12'. We stayed at a lodge with cabins and rented a pontoon boat and a 16' fishing boat. My dad and I fished the mornings with the 16' and took the pontoon out with the whole family during the day. We caught enough Walleye everyday to feed us each night and caught so many pike we lost count. I'm hoping to take my family there someday.
Hoping the same family owns the place.
Sand haven resort

Last edited:

Scottyboy

WKR
Assume walleyes? Lots of good options up north just really depends what you are most interested in hopefully catching. Where are you driving from? You might be passing many really good lakes if you are thinking LOW

cnelk

WKR
I grew up on Lake of the Woods.
So many options that fit your criteria.

I’d look at Zipple Bay Resort if you want mix of northern pike and walleye.

Ballards Resort is well known (relatives)

Lots of others in the area

OP
Wheels

Wheels

WKR
Assume walleyes? Lots of good options up north just really depends what you are most interested in hopefully catching. Where are you driving from? You might be passing many really good lakes if you are thinking LOW
I’m coming from Missouri, my buddies are in Wisconsin. I’ve fished several lakes in Minnesota and Wisconsin and would like to avoid the popular tourist areas. We will obviously fish for walleye, but really enjoy smallmouth and northern/musky fishing too.

Scottyboy

WKR
If you like musky, I would take a trip to vermillion just for them. Touristy…sure. But it’s a big lake and doesn’t feel touristy until you are off the water.

Rainy is a good idea as is ballards. Do red lake in the winter. Winni can also be very good. I’d personally avoid Mille lacs if that was on your radar for whatever reason.

OP
Wheels

Wheels

WKR
If you like musky, I would take a trip to vermillion just for them. Touristy…sure. But it’s a big lake and doesn’t feel touristy until you are off the water.

Rainy is a good idea as is ballards. Do red lake in the winter. Winni can also be very good. I’d personally avoid Mille lacs if that was on your radar for whatever reason.
I’ve been on Lake Mill Lacs, the fishing was good, but I can see all the pleasure boats I want at Lake of the Ozarks.

Lots of great areas in northern MN beyond the big lakes (Lake of the Woods, Rainy, Kab, Leech, Winnie, etc). Check out Pimushe Lake resort for awesome panfishing along with bonus walleyes and bass. Melgeorges Resort on Elephant Lake is another great multi-specie option. I'd also consider Aitkin Lake Resort for pig panfish and walleye.

20 years ago my brothers, Dad, and me had a ball renting a cabin and fishing on Black Duck. We caught walleyes, perch, pike, and rock bass every day. My brother took home an 8# trophy walleye we caught 50 yards from the dock.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I have been contemplating a fishing trip to canada for a few years like this, is the fishing in these areas just as good as canadian etc.? and not have to deal with border etc.

I’m coming from Missouri, my buddies are in Wisconsin. I’ve fished several lakes in Minnesota and Wisconsin and would like to avoid the popular tourist areas. We will obviously fish for walleye, but really enjoy smallmouth and northern/musky fishing too.
If this is what you're after, I'd hit any of the lakes on the Rainy/Namakan/Sand Point/Kabetogama chain. Would also toss out Lake Vermilion as another option. Look at those lake maps - tons of water and structure.

Lots of great areas in northern MN beyond the big lakes (Lake of the Woods, Rainy, Kab, Leech, Winnie, etc). Check out Pimushe Lake resort for awesome panfishing along with bonus walleyes and bass. Melgeorges Resort on Elephant Lake is another great multi-specie option. I'd also consider Aitkin Lake Resort for pig panfish and walleye.
is elephant lake any good still. We use to go up there for a week in the early 2000's. It was great fishing then but seemed it was slower the last couple years we went. Pulled some great walleyes and panfish out of there. We would take a day trip or 2 to another lake in that area that didnt have any resorts on it and would get monster sunnies and crappies and decent walleyes.

One time out on elephant i remember fly fishing with poppers in the even for bass and we pulled out some sunnies that were 10"+ along with 3 or 4 walleyes also. I cant imagine to many people have caught walleyes on top water fly gear.

is elephant lake any good still. We use to go up there for a week in the early 2000's. It was great fishing then but seemed it was slower the last couple years we went. Pulled some great walleyes and panfish out of there. We would take a day trip or 2 to another lake in that area that didnt have any resorts on it and would get monster sunnies and crappies and decent walleyes.

One time out on elephant i remember fly fishing with poppers in the even for bass and we pulled out some sunnies that were 10"+ along with 3 or 4 walleyes also. I cant imagine to many people have caught walleyes on top water fly gear.
I'd say crappie size isn't what it was in those days, but it's still a really good multi specie lake. Plus like you say, there are other good lakes in the area that are lightly pressured.

OP
Wheels

Wheels

WKR
I have been contemplating a fishing trip to canada for a few years like this, is the fishing in these areas just as good as canadian etc.? and not have to deal with border etc.
In my experiences if you go to Canada, definitely spend a little more and do a fly in trip. Day and night difference between a drive in camp. The drive in camps I've been to are no better than state side. At least on this side of the border you can keep some fish to take home, and the beer is much cheaper!

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
If you get there at the right time it is, or go way north to the islands. Long boat ride but awesome fishing. But need a descent size boat and have to watch the weather, gets rough.

hunt1up

WKR
I've fished around Ely and over on Vermilion many many times through my childhood and adult years. We've stayed at Pherson's Lodge on the West side of Vermilion 6-7 times and always enjoyed ourselves. I take my own boat but their rentals are very nice. Great owners, clean cabins, and good boats. It isn't too touristy at all on that end of the lake. You see other boats but by no means is it busy.

mskads

FNG
Pine Point Lodge, on Crane Lake. I've been there multiple times, and it's great! Good fishing for Walleye, Sauger, Pike, Muskie, Bass... They rent out nice boats, have bait, they have cabins, or a small "strip motel" with 5 or 6 rooms to choose from. Definitely recommend. There's also the ability to travel north of crane lake on the water to get to other fishing locations.