Kalispell/Glacier area fishing

Im heading up to the area for a few days end of next week with the wife. Would anyone have any advice on a place to throw some spinners/spoons, or whatever. I dont fly fish. We will be in the park a day or 2 as well and my wife said she read you dont need a fishing license in the park. Any advice on fishing in the park. Thought about renting a kayak and going to Wild Horse. Is it worth fishing out there? We are staying on Lake Marry Ronan.

I’ve fished the middle fork of the Flathead numerous times as a kid (both spin and fly) and always managed to get some smaller cutthroats. I haven’t fished Flathead lake in quite some time but I think the lake trout fishing can be good.

In July, a grasshopper on a piece of split shot is also a good time!

June, pick a small spinner and hit the pools and pockets. If you get strikes but no results, go smaller yet.

And while you may not fly fish, a fly dropped off a float or small bobber can be a real hoot. One of my favorite days fishing was on a small creek with a fly line, dropping flies and pulling out fingerlings by the dozens. Great time!

t_carlson

WKR
Its kind of a tough time of year for fishing in Montana. Virtually all of the running water is high/fast/muddy. Low elevation lakes tend to be too big for good fishing from shore.

The creek mouths feeding into Lake MacDonald are probably your best bet, but don't plan on catching a pile of fish.

OP
MuleyFever
Lake Mary Ronan also has good fishing for kokanee salmon and perch. Do you have access to a boat or kayak on the lake?
I was going to call and see if they have anything to rent otherwise I may bring my float to fish with.

Is there a place to rent an equipped fishing boat on Flathead?

Just looked and the place at Lake Marry Ronan has a little marina with canoes/kayaks or even pontoons to rent.

I was going to call and see if they have anything to rent otherwise I may bring my float to fish with.

Is there a place to rent an equipped fishing boat on Flathead?

Just looked and the place at Lake Marry Ronan has a little marina with canoes/kayaks or even pontoons to rent.
I know there are quite a few companies that do boat rentals on Flathead, but I don't have any personal experience with any.

It may be a little out of your way, but if you are serious about fishing Flathead Lake or Mary Ronan, a trip to Zimmer Tackle in Ronan would be well worth your time. They will set up you with all the gear and local intel you need. Lake Trout and whitefish are what you would be targeting on Flathead.

OP
MuleyFever
I know there are quite a few companies that do boat rentals on Flathead, but I don't have any personal experience with any.

It may be a little out of your way, but if you are serious about fishing Flathead Lake or Mary Ronan, a trip to Zimmer Tackle in Ronan would be well worth your time. They will set up you with all the gear and local intel you need. Lake Trout and whitefish are what you would be targeting on Flathead.
Thanks for the tip. Ill be driving right by them on the way up so I will stop in.

rojocop

FNG
I haven't been there myself, but a friend of mine taunted me by telling me about all the huge fish he saw when he was hiking.

It sounds like nearly every body of water in the park has trout.
Good luck! Just make sure you aren't competing with the grizzlies for fish.

OP
MuleyFever
I haven't been there myself, but a friend of mine taunted me by telling me about all the huge fish he saw when he was hiking.

It sounds like nearly every body of water in the park has trout.
Good luck! Just make sure you aren't competing with the grizzlies for fish.
Im not really worried. Bears are susceptible to misdirection as proven in this documentary.
Man Fighting A Bear GIFs | Tenor

92xj

WKR
I didn't fish it, but really enjoyed a day out of the park driving up to pole bridge, it follows the north fork I believe. We stopped and would swim and play with the kids for an hour or so at three or four different pull outs. We saw three other people that day besides at the bakery in pole bridge. Had the river to ourselves and I am sure there is a fish or three to catch in the river. I'd recommend it if you hate people.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I have fished Lake Mary Ronan for bass, pike, and perch. Fishing can be really good, but the lake gets busy in summer afternoons. Alternatively, get a guided trip on Flathead lake for lake trout.

ianpadron

WKR
If you guys are staying out on Hwy 2 and want to fish, go hit the Thompson Chain of Lakes. Basically a fish safari with big trout, bass, pike, perch etc.