Fixed Blade Knife for backcountry hunts

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,
Been thinking I need to eventually get a good fixed blade knife to keep on my belt for backcountry hunts, for general use, or as a last resort kind of thing- god forbid you find yourself in a bad situation in the backcountry. I'm just wondering what kind of knife y'all use for this purpose, or knives you think could fit the bill. Thanks guys for your advice
CJ

NDGuy

WKR
Hello,
Been thinking I need to eventually get a good fixed blade knife to keep on my belt for backcountry hunts, for general use, or as a last resort kind of thing- god forbid you find yourself in a bad situation in the backcountry. I'm just wondering what kind of knife y'all use for this purpose, or knives you think could fit the bill. Thanks guys for your advice
CJ
Million options, quick and easy get a Benchmade

I like my Bark River Gunny Scandi, I have no doubts that it can survive through more than I probably can or complete any task I ask of it. Plus they are made in Michigan so that is just a bonus for me being able to support local companies. They are expensive though, so probably not the knife for everyone

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Goat Knives Nitro TUR. It’s been great. Super lightweight and rigid enough for general use.

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Goat Knives Nitro TUR. It’s been great. Super lightweight and rigid enough for general use.
I also have a Steve Woods Hide Hunter that is built like a tank and definitely a heavier knife. But it would probably survive the apocalypse.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're looking for a sturdy, off the shelf knife- several good options already suggested. I'd add looking at Fallkniven's lineup as well.

Gene ingram or Charles May top notch knives makers.

Sadly Gene is no longer making knives- I was on a two year wait for one of his knives and was very close to getting my knife, be he took a bad fall that had him bail on the knife making.

Fortunately I was able to secure a spot with Charles May (thanks to a fellow Rokslider!) and got the exact knife I was looking for without a long wait.

The beauty of custom is you can usually get exactly what you want- blade length, blade profile, blade thickness, choice of steels, handle length & shape, etc.

I wanted a knife that was designed first to fully process an elk in the field comfortably, but still be stout enough to handle outdoor chores like processing wood and lastly be light enough that I was comfortable in throwing it in the pack without hesitation. I was able to get exactly that :)

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Ridge belt knife is a pretty sweet knife for the money
Been wanting to get this knife for a while but haven't pulled the trigger. Tell me honestly, is it good for the money or would it be a good knife if you had to pay $60 more for it?

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted a knife that was designed first to fully process an elk in the field comfortably, but still be stout enough to handle outdoor chores like processing wood and lastly be light enough that I was comfortable in throwing it in the pack without hesitation. I was able to get exactly that :)

That sounds great. Can you post a few photos of your knife?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds great. Can you post a few photos of your knife?

Sure- I wanted something w/ a thinner (quasi boning knife) profile w/ a little longer blade than many of the lighter hunting knives came with.

I found it in Charle's Bird & Trout II LB (LB as in long blade)- 4" blade (8" overall), I've found shorter to be a bit of handicap w/ elk sized game (many are in the 3-3.5" range). It's 1/8" thick which is thin enough for boning, but still not afraid of camp chores. S30V steel- decent corrosion resistance and holds an edge well.

Orange G10 handle as I'm sad to say, I have lost a couple of knives (recovered one the following Spring though!)

Rq4uHid.jpg

toOD1s6.jpg

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Sure- I wanted something w/ a thinner (quasi boning knife) profile w/ a little longer blade than many of the lighter hunting knives came with.

I found it in Charle's Bird & Trout II LB (LB as in long blade)- 4" blade (8" overall), I've found shorter to be a bit of handicap w/ elk sized game (many are in the 3-3.5" range). It's 1/8" thick which is thin enough for boning, but still not afraid of camp chores. S30V steel- decent corrosion resistance and holds an edge well.

Orange G10 handle as I'm sad to say, I have lost a couple of knives (recovered one the following Spring though!)

Rq4uHid.jpg

toOD1s6.jpg
Thanks mate. Always enjoy seeing what people are actually using in the field. A bird & trout is a pretty good option for game prep. And I like orange handles too. I lost a knife when I was about 12 out rabbit hunting, and that lose still grates on me decades later.