Fixed Blade Knife for backcountry hunts

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, the specs:
Highwoods in CPM-M4, 63 HRC Acid Etched
OD Green G10 bolsters
Double dyed and stabilized box elder handle with orange liners
Copper pins and lanyard tube
Thats solid. M4 at 63 Rockwell should hold an edge for a long time (y)

mcseal2

WKR
I think they sold out already, but I picked up a Lt Wright Forest Trail knife from KnifeConnection. I'd been watching for them to be back in stock in the steel I wanted for about 5 years I think. It's pretty much my ideal knife if I'd have only one. I got 3V steel in a saber grind with natural micarta handles. They are very expensive blades and not one to buy if you won't use it. The 5" blade is just right for me. Not to long to belt carry, but long enough to do most tasks.

It feels great, has enough belly for skinning and enough weight for light chopping or limbing. 5/32 3V steel for toughness. Lt has great 90 degree spines for scraping tinder or starting a fire. I like it better than my Lt Trekker and will be selling that one. I think I'll still carry my custom 3V knife on a lot of hunts, but will take this one on all my scouting, fishing, camping, and other trips. If I have the weight to spare I'll take both to Alaska.

It was designed to be an all purpose survival/hunting knife and I think they hit the mark.

Mine weighs 12.2oz with the sheath but without the firesteel.

Attachments

• IMG_4944.jpeg
    IMG_4944.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
My wilderness knife is basically the original design from Blind Horse knives of This one
I have one of those I got with the Pathfinder logo on it years ago. Great knives that handle small work really well for their size. I used mine a lot back then but decided I prefer 3V steel for a little more corrosion resistance since. I trust that knife a lot though, it ended up in the 72hr roadtrip bag I put together for non-hunting travel.

Look at the Kephart style knives, I researched the knife and had a blade smith re-produce the knife. sturdy woodsman type knife that won't let you down no matter the situation you may find yourself in.

NoLys1776

FNG
Hello,
Been thinking I need to eventually get a good fixed blade knife to keep on my belt for backcountry hunts, for general use, or as a last resort kind of thing- god forbid you find yourself in a bad situation in the backcountry. I'm just wondering what kind of knife y'all use for this purpose, or knives you think could fit the bill. Thanks guys for your advice
CJ
I love my Benchmade Saddle Mountain. Buy once, cry once. 😀

WayneKerr

FNG
Bark River Bravo 1 3v. Thick steel and built like a tank, yet it does a surprisingly good job at breaking down an animal.

Has anyone played with the Ontario SPL Pack Knife or the Bradford Guardian? Both can be had in Magnacut.

The Ontario seems like with a sharpening it might be ok, but it has a somewhat thick blade and only an edge grind.

The Bradford looks better but is a little heavy with a thicker blade stock as well.

My go to is a Winkler hunter.

ESEE knives are one of the best deals out there for a knife you are actually gonna use.

Millions of options, just do your research. As a custom maker myself, I like lightweight, flat or shallow hollow grind ( for multi use), bright ultrex non slip handle material, Rc 59-61, if it’s too hard you won’t be able to sharpen in the field if needed.
Mora makes a solid knife for that price point. Carry a sharpener regardless.

Brian77

FNG
Interesting. I second the Bark River Bravo or Gunny Hunter, LT Wright, Mora, and Battle Horse. I have all of the above. I make knives also, and love to collect. I prefer tool steel over stainless, for several reasons. How are your sharpening tools and skills? Will you beat on it? I prefer to take a skinner 4" , and a separate camp knife 6 or 7" .