Fixed Blade Knife for backcountry hunts

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
There are thousands of options, literally the perfect choice for you has everything to do with how you use your knife, your ability to sharpen and maintain it, and how heavy you want to go.

My choice for wilderness tool is a thicker spine, 01 blade from Blind Horse ( now Battle Horse), that can be used to strike a ferro rod and take battoning without issue.
If I'm not going miles deep I often carry a Bark River cpm3v or a Scrapyard in sr101. Both hold an edge better, but I think would not be good for beating on.

Brown229

FNG
benchmade makes a great knife. saddle mountain skinner or steep country are my go to blades for caping and field dressing

I’m excited to break in my new Argali carbon on a few hunts this year. Always loved my Benchmade’s but wanted to try something new, and my Havalon scares me a little at times

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Been wanting to get this knife for a while but haven't pulled the trigger. Tell me honestly, is it good for the money or would it be a good knife if you had to pay $60 more for it?
I liked mine enough to buy a second one a couple weeks ago. Both of them have slight imperfections in the finish, and the paracord wrap was loose on both. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I dont feel like its a big deal at the price point, as the wrap is very easy to redo. So to answer your question, yes, its a great knife for the money. I used the first one I bought to skin and quarter four hogs last April without touch-up. If they were charging 60 bucks more, I would expect a better handle and cerakote or whatever the finish is.

I’m a big fan of Argali Serac. Light, simple, tuff.

mcseal2

WKR
I use a custom one I had made in 3V steel. I had a Dozier Pro Guide I liked a lot but wanted to have a little tougher version with a 90 degree spine and a saber instead of hollow grind. It has a 4 3/4" blade and weighs 10.2oz with the sheath and Exotac firesteel.

Lt Wright makes a heck of a knife too. I have several and carry a GNS in 3V a lot when I'm not hunting and won't be processing game. If you can find one his Trekker is a good game knife as well. Another factory blade I like as a game and camp knife is the Bradford 5.5 in a flat grind with 3V steel. It is coated and does not have a 90 degree spine though. I like the sharp spine for use with a firesteel or scraping tinder but if you won't use it for any of those jobs a rounded spine is more comfortable to press your thumb against.

Attachments

• IMG_4856.jpeg
    IMG_4856.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 44

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
Shield knife and Tool makes a heck of a knife. Mine is just now not quite shaving sharp after a few dozen trout, a deer, and a bear. They offer a free sharpening and restoration program as well.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Benchmade Highcountry.

If I have to use it as a tool beyond a knife, Gerber LMF. 420HC doesn't keep an edge long, but it easily re sharpens. I can also baton the crap outta that sucka.

BDWMT

FNG
Thats a nice looking knife. Something tells me its a Brad Watkins Knife :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Specs? Micarta bolster with stabilised wood scales?
Thank you, the specs:
Highwoods in CPM-M4, 63 HRC Acid Etched
OD Green G10 bolsters
Double dyed and stabilized box elder handle with orange liners
Copper pins and lanyard tube

Found a great deal on a T.O.P.S. Brothers of Bushcraft fixed blade and have beat the heck out of it for the last decade. Holding up way better than I’d thought it should. Still rock solid and holds a very shape edge if I do my part.

wy_will

FNG
I carry a Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter for those “just in case” moments. Strong and thick enough to handle you beating on the spine of the blade with a rock or log. Great steel that holds an edge really well. Luckily, I never have to use it.

I use a havolon for cutting up game.