Fixed Blade vs Replaceable Blade Knives

Which do you prefer? Explain why below.

• Total voters

jpmulk

WKR
Curious where most people land on this topic currently. Select your preference and explain why.

Both, I mainly run a havalon knife for skinning and cutting but use the fix blade mainly for separating skull from vertebrae or hip joints, but can do it with my havalon if needed. Just have to be careful with havalon for breaking blades, and an outdoor edge I’ve bent the main part which rendered it useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
I too have both.

Replaceable blade lives in the kill kit and regular knife for everything else. Forced to choose one, it would be a traditional knife due to the versatility. Can be used to baton wood, pry, skin, debone, cape, as a striker, etc.

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve used a variety of replaceable blade knives the last few years and have absolutely no issue with them in use (other than one frustrating night with a Tyto). But I’ve gone back to a good fixed blade because I don’t like jacking around with changing razor blades in the dark with slippery hands. And for whatever reason, I tend to nick my fingers a lot with the 60 blades.

I have both but prefer replaceable. You can have a razor sharp blade in seconds, and I suck at sharpening knives in the field.

My current preference is the outdoor edge razor pro or razor lite. The blades are much more substantial than the Havalon 60 blades.

I did recently pick up a Havalon Talon and it has some beefy blades and the blade changing system is much more safe than the traditional Havalon knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I too have both. The replaceable is an Outdoor Edge and then the other is any one of the 1000 others I own. I have way too many knives.

rcb2000

WKR
I use a havalon for white tails back East. I can do the whole deer with a few blades, including removing the head etc.

Last year I shot a mule deer in the late season in Utah, and even with a new havalon blade I was struggling to get through that thick winter hide.
I switched to a fixed blade that I made in CPM154, and that thing made it a breeze.

I’ll still use the havalon for white tails, but no way you’d catch me without a fixed blade back west this winter.

mcseal2

WKR
Everyone packs their fears. For me a good fixed blade is my comfort item.

I'm used to one and feel safer with it than with a smaller havalon. I seem to have my best luck hunting at the worst times to get an animal cut up and packed out. The stouter knife lets me be a little less careful and faster popping joints etc. My back doesn't like being bent over for more than 15-20 minutes, so touching up my knife on my ceramic rod for a few seconds while stretching works for me. I went with 3V steel for max toughness while still having decent corrosion resistance and edge retention. It handles contact with bone well which is a plus for me.

If I ever do get in a bad spot, the knife is tough enough to baton through wood to get to the dry center. It's not something I do with my knife but it's something I can, I tested my prototype on some tough wood at home. If I need to scrape something the 90 degree spine does well at that. The sheath holds an Exotac firesteel with a couple tinder tabs in the hollow top compartment, so when I have my knife I have a spare way to make fire. I use it around camp, for food prep, to clear shooting lanes, my hunting knife gets used for everything and not just game.

I still carry a second knife in my pack or bino harness, but it's usually a Benchmade Bugout or Altitude, something light just in case I manage to lose my main blade. My main knife stays on my belt except when I'm in Alaska and living in rain pants. Then I carry a ZT452CF folder in my pocket and my belt knife stays in my pack. The sheath for my belt knife does not interfere with my pack belt.

My hunting knife isn't ultralight, it is 10.1oz with it's sheath.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Few decades and have done everything with a fixed blade thus far. That said I'm not caping. If I were caping I think a small replacable blade like havalon would work well.

I've used a fallkniven F1 fixed blade with convex edge for a pile of years. I love this knife because it holds an edge like no other knife I've owned. It can get through a few deer or an elk easily without needing to touch the blade up. My "second " knife is a multitool. It's there in case I somehow loose my F1 or need one of the multitools many other functions.

At the end of the day both fixed and replaceable blades will get it done. Select the tools you like to work with and go get em bloody.

Last edited:

BrentH

WKR
I carry both, but haven’t used the fixed blade in 5 years. Mainly because I suck at sharpening knives.

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
I’ve been using an outdoor edge. Kind of wanting to go back to a fixed blade for the following reasons:

1. Nostalgia of a fixed blade to carry on. There’s just nothing special about replaceable blades.

2. Durability

3. Utility

4. The outdoor edge blades I find to be a pain to change when it’s below freezing. I bring my fly fishing pliers to removed the bloody frozen blade so I don’t cut myself.

But, I will say, the outdoor edge has worked without fail.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve use a replaceable blade knife a few times didn’t like the flex in the blade. I use a fillet knife often I like how it flex’s I think it I feels more predictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I carry my grandfather’s knife on every hunt. I’ve processed more deer than I can count and a couple of elk with it. That said it rarely gets used since my wife gave me an Outdoor Edge. I’ve done a whole elk including the leg joints with the same blade and then dressed out two deer. I carry extra blades for it but have never had to change one while breaking down an elk.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
replaceable blade for caping fix blade for everything else. I went almost exclusive replaceable for a couple years and just saw the weaknesses. I am not there to mess around once an animal is down. I broke too many blades and had too many blades come off for my liking.

I can just do everything WAY faster with a tradition fixed blade (or folding) than I can a replaceable especially on heavier hide game.

I carry a replaceable in the pack as a back up and for caping/turning lips, eyes, ears etc. But other than that don't use it much. I would rather carry two 3/3.5 inch fix blades than a replaceable knife. And with animals the size of deer and antelope I have ad zero issues dulling a fixed blade and realistically can break down two deer without needing to re-sharpen.

I've actually started carrying a beaver knife for skinning and it is so much nicer.

I will carry both this year. Last year while cutting up my bull solo, the blades on my gerber vital kept flinging off. Good thing I was by myself or those blades could of really hurt someone.

I carry a Havalon for skinning and filleting meat from bones and fixed blade for separating joints.

One thing to never forget with the Havalon is the blade tool. Without that it's pretty impossible to replace the blade safely.