Fixed Blade vs Replaceable Blade Knives

Which do you prefer? Explain why below.

• Total voters
I carried both but after using the Outdoor Edge for a few seasons I now carry a Havalon and an Outdoor Edge. I mostly just use the OE because the Havalon is not as durable.

I have tried both the havilon and outdoor edge type replaceable types. I cant get totally comfortable with them so I prefer my fixed blade knives. I’m not concerned with weight where I hunt so easy and practical to use a fixed blade knife and my sharpener. If I was counting ounces in a pack I could get used to a replaceable blade. Its great to have so many options these days.

for removing organs, the replaceable blade is my choice. Fixed blade for skinning and butchery. Even the OE replaceable isn't tough enough to stand up to a full butcher job.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've used both. Early on used fixed blades but the steel wasn't great and I wasn't good at sharpening them. Went to a replaceable blade after 15 years of fixed, used them for 3-4 years. I really dislike carrying multiple blades, blades being broken or ejecting mid-cut. The several I used were either really sharp and dulled quickly or not that sharp. I tossed the replaceable blade a couple years ago for a hardened steel fixed blade, there is no way I would go back. I can easily get through an elk without sharpening.

Elkhntr08

WKR
My vote is both.
Carry a Benchmade fixed blade and a 3” Outdoor Edge. They both have their place and uses.

BDWMT

FNG
My observation over more than a decade of making knives is that most hunters want a sharp knife that doesn’t need to be sharpened in the field. That is primarily based on two factors. The quality of the steel and the ability of the hunter to sharpen a knife before going into the field. A high quality steel with proper blade geometry and heat treat will not require field sharpening. Replaceable blades have a lot of disadvantages when compared to a fixed blade but they are always a few moments alway from razor sharp again without any effort or skill. I think they do have a place in the field. I always carry a scalpel with a few blades for caping in the event I get lucky and need to cape. Everything else is a good fixed blade.

packer58

WKR
I also carry both in my kill kit, fixed blade for gutting skinning and general breaking down the animal. Havalon is mostly reserved for caping.

packer58

WKR
My observation over more than a decade of making knives is that most hunters want a sharp knife that doesn’t need to be sharpened in the field. That is primarily based on two factors. The quality of the steel and the ability of the hunter to sharpen a knife before going into the field. A high quality steel with proper blade geometry and heat treat will not require field sharpening. Replaceable blades have a lot of disadvantages when compared to a fixed blade but they are always a few moments alway from razor sharp again without any effort or skill. I think they do have a place in the field. I always carry a scalpel with a few blades for caping in the event I get lucky and need to cape. Everything else is a good fixed blade.
Not to derail but, in your opinion what is the best edge angle when sharpening a field / skinning fixed blade ??

Pokerface

FNG
Hard to beat a good fixed blade with good steel. Also a good folder in my pocket all the time...Joe

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I think you missed a huge portion of hunters here. Myself I use folding blades if I can get them. I do have a fixed blade boning knife which I use as needed, but it's my folding knife that is the most important. I've never owned, but have tried the replaceable blades. I'm not impressed with them in the slightest. They are knives though, no reason they wont work. Blades are pretty thin, basically box cutter blades, but at least the replacements are reasonably priced.

When you get in certain areas where you want to keep heads, whether for trophy or CWD, having a way to cut them off is a great thing. I just don't see a replaceable blade knife cutting a head off. There is some finesse involved, but you kind of have to just go for it once most of the ligaments are cut. You can carry a second knife, or saw or whatever. I've seen people on this site argue over ounces. Well here's an easy way to save ounces, just bring one single good knife that does everything, maybe not great, but does it all with minimal problems.

I see lots of talk about carrying sharpeners, and I just don't see why anyone would. There's all kinds steels out there, some sharpen easy, some don't rust, some stay sharp longer, etc. Any good steel will hold a plenty good edge for at least an animal, and honestly I'd be pretty disappointed in a knife that was dull after 2 animals. We aren't talking about butchering, only gutting and quartering animals. I think a sharpener is a great thing to have in the truck, but I would never carry one with me.

My preference for knives has never really changed over the years. I've always preferred a folder with a blade 3"-4" long. I don't think I've ever tried a 5" blade folder, I can't think of one. Locking type doesn't make a huge difference to me. My work knife is a liner lock, and my hunting knife is a back lock. I've tried fixed blades, but that's more bulk on your side. I've tried pocket clips, keeping them in the back pack, and even on a necklace. For me it is a no brainer, a leather belt sheath is the only way to go. My all time favorite knife is a Buck 110. There are lots of folders out there that can work as good. I like my brass and wood, and the 110 is such a rock solid design with minimal places for crud to get trapped in. It really is a fixed blade that folds. The icing on the cake is a drop point blade on them. The classic clip point is fine, I just like a drop point a little better, seems to be easier to guide over the guts without poking the stomach. People can argue about 420HC steel all they want. The way Buck makes their blades is great. They aren't hard to sharpen, and you wont need to re-sharpen them until you are done. I have not had any rust.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Added a Both choice; I know I'm not the only one that brings both on hunts

Erict

WKR
Havalon type scalpel knives for skinning furbearers, breasting out turkey and caping deer skulls.

Folding full size knife for gutting/skinning/quartering big game.

A nice feature of the scalpel type knives is the option to use rounded or pointed tip blades, and some even come in different "thicknesses".