Flat chunk of meat on hind quarter?

fishslap

WKR
I don’t know what that flat piece is called but I think I saved it from the grind this year to make a small rouladen of sorts. I saved some larger flat pieces from the shoulders and over-rib meat for this preparation as well.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t know what that flat piece is called but I think I saved it from the grind this year to make a small rouladen of sorts. I saved some larger flat pieces from the shoulders and over-rib meat for this preparation as well.
It’s surprisingly tender. Cut against the grain and cook rare/medium rare. Yum!

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
The piece I think it is --- is removed at 9:00 minutes in.
I believe that’s it. Here it is from an elk. I marinated it for 24 hours then cooked it. It seemed to contract a little. Next time I won’t marinate it. I’ll add some Saskatchewan seasoning and cook it hot and fast on the cast iron.

Attachments

• IMG_9320.jpeg
    IMG_9320.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 36

fishslap

WKR
I believe that’s it. Here it is from an elk. I marinated it for 24 hours then cooked it. It seemed to contract a little. Next time I won’t marinate it. I’ll add some Saskatchewan seasoning and cook it hot and fast on the cast iron.
Yea, I definitely rolled those up and vac sealed them separately this year. I got plenty of burger meat from other trimmings.

JakeSCH

WKR
Will set aside that piece this year and try it. I usually do not have the patience to make it nice and pretty for cooking so I toss it in the grind bags.

It’s called the round cap. It does make a nice dish. You can cook it whole like you would a flank or skirt steak then slice for steak, stir fry, tacos, burritos, etc. It’s also good when you pound it out to make it thinner and larger in diameter. Add your favorite cheese, mushrooms, spinach, peppers, etc. roll it up and tie it then smoke it. Slice when done. Same thing you can do with skirt and flank steak.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
It’s called the round cap. It does make a nice dish. You can cook it whole like you would a flank or skirt steak then slice for steak, stir fry, tacos, burritos, etc. It’s also good when you pound it out to make it thinner and larger in diameter. Add your favorite cheese, mushrooms, spinach, peppers, etc. roll it up and tie it then smoke it. Slice when done. Same thing you can do with skirt and flank steak.
Bingo. Nailed it.