Fluted Barrels

TerryB

FNG
What are pros and cons of these guns with fluted barrels , My thoughts would be not very
Accurate??

peppy870

Lil-Rokslider
What Hunt harder said.

my new custom is fluted. Shed a couple ounces, looks great, and as stated cools a little better.

Attachments

• IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1494.jpeg
    IMG_1494.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1495.jpeg
    IMG_1495.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 125

TaperPin

WKR
Looks. For a long time the argument for them was a barrel could be lighter and yet just as stiff as the full diameter before fluting. That’s turned out to not be the case - the shooting sports requiring the most accuracy don’t flute heavy barrels, but just use a slimmer profile to make a weight limit.

Theres nothing wrong with fluting - there’s just not an accuracy advantage.

I don’t see an advantage in it all. Just more money to throw at unnecessary things. I kill stuff with a stock rifle just as dead as most of those custom rifles do. The only thing some of these high end rifles might do is allow you to shoot further distances more accurately. That’s another can of worms though.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
In a properly stress relieved barrel, the loss of accuracy is negligible and most people would not be able to notice it.

I run fluted barrels in several rifles and think its the best compromise in the weight vs accuracy trade-off we need to go with for rifles we are going to carry any distance.

IdahoElk

WKR
Shaves a slight bit of weight off your gun when in conjunction of fluting the bolt and skeletonizing the action you can lose a few ounces. Not a big deal to some but if you're hiking all day in the backcountry any weight reduction is nice.

OP
T

TerryB

FNG
My concern would be hunting around the 20 degree and lower temp , as you heat up the barrel when shooting and then it cools repeating over time

that's cyclic thermal stress, with a slower heat up rate and a faster cooldown rate than you'd see at warmer temperatures. what's your hypothesis about why that's bad for a barrel with flutes?

wytx

WKR
My Sako A7 has a fluted barrel and I have shot it all temps without any issues.
It is lighter in weight than the Win Featherweight the spouse shoots in same caliber, easier to carry all day for sure.

PNWGATOR

WKR
My concern would be hunting around the 20 degree and lower temp , as you heat up the barrel when shooting and then it cools repeating over time
Makes ZERO difference.

If you choose to flute your barrel, send it to Kampfeld Customs. Best craftsmanship in the business with amazing turnaround times.

I have a fluted barrel on only one of my rifles. Rifle is very accurate. 270 Weatherby Magnum in a Accumark. I like the looks but never got the urge to have any of my other rifles fluted. At least yet.

intunegp

WKR
Who died and made you the forum police?

Right back at ya!!

Why would you have a problem with pointing people in the right direction? Not only would he get better information, but there wouldn't be category specific sub forums if those topics weren't meant to be discussed there. Information is more accessible and helpful to everyone when it's catalogued with some sense of organization. The next guy looking for information on fluted barrels is a lot more likely to check out "firearms" than "general discussion".

hunterjmj

WKR
Going to get a spiral fluted barrel for my next rifle. They look great and from what I've read over the years it has no effect of accuracy. I only hunt out to 400ish.

Sickforit

FNG
Looks. For a long time the argument for them was a barrel could be lighter and yet just as stiff as the full diameter before fluting. That’s turned out to not be the case - the shooting sports requiring the most accuracy don’t flute heavy barrels, but just use a slimmer profile to make a weight limit.

Theres nothing wrong with fluting - there’s just not an accuracy advantage.
This is right 👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽 nothing wrong with it, but it wasn’t the advantage it was thought to be at one time

TaperPin

WKR
This is right 👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽 nothing wrong with it, but it wasn’t the advantage it was thought to be at one time
That elk rack in your photo is really interesting - great length and mass to the points that are there! What’s his story?