Fluted Barrels

TaperPin

WKR
I have a fluted barrel on only one of my rifles. Rifle is very accurate. 270 Weatherby Magnum in a Accumark. I like the looks but never got the urge to have any of my other rifles fluted. At least yet.
I had a similar Weatherby - the locking lugs, feel of cycling the bolt, and look of the fluted barrel and curved Weatherby case just made me smile every time. That’s one of the few rifles I miss. 🙂

I had a similar Weatherby - the locking lugs, feel of cycling the bolt, and look of the fluted barrel and curved Weatherby case just made me smile every time. That’s one of the few rifles I miss. 🙂
I have two I bought back in the magnum craze. 300 wbymag deluxe and the accumark. I don't shoot them much but I cant bring myself to sell them.

probably just randomness but ive had bad luck with spiral fluted sporter barrels. 1 6.5 SAUM bartlein #3 done by Kampfeld (chambered by a different smith) and two factory havak barrels.

I'd rather have a thinner barrel contour to hit a desired weight. No idea if it's true but it seems like there should be less opportunity to mess a barrel up if it's the same diameter all the way around and just contoured down instead of fluting. All this designer fluting, multi tone painting, carbon fiber barrels, etc are the bedazzled jeans and carbon wings on honda civics of the rifle world IMO.

Last edited:

Sickforit

FNG
That elk rack in your photo is really interesting - great length and mass to the points that are there! What’s his story?
Gila 16B….404 6/8 not mine, was a hunter of mine. Guided for an uncle about 10 years. Some bruiser bulls in that unit, but New Mexico is damn hard for a non resident to get drawn in a good unit

TaperPin

WKR
Gila 16B….404 6/8 not mine, was a hunter of mine. Guided for an uncle about 10 years. Some bruiser bulls in that unit, but New Mexico is damn hard for a non resident to get drawn in a good unit
Very nice!

wapitibob

WKR
Flutes are great dust collectors, I'll never own another fluted barrel. Heat dispersion while hunting is a non factor, at the range a $40 chamber chiller will work better and is 1/3 the cost.

WKR
I buy a smaller contour and put the savings towards more barrels. I don't like carbon barrels either so may be becoming an old guy.

cslcal

FNG
I shoot Highpower Silhouette. Last year I acquired a barreled action that was originally a on a 1000yd Benchrest rig. I had the barrel fluted to shed weight to get down to the nine pound limit for Hunter Rifle class.IMG_2778.jpeg