Fly line brands

I have a TFO bvk 6wt, and a Sage method that both are getting replaced. Will mostly use the TFO except for when the conditions get real windy then the Method comes out.

The method is extremely fast action and likes to be loaded, this is a very good taper for that rod especially if wind is a factor, they also make it in the mastery series for about 80 a piece
https://www.scientificanglers.com/product/amplitude-anadro/

The bvk would like the MPX for sure

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
The method is extremely fast action and likes to be loaded, this is a very good taper for that rod especially if wind is a factor, they also make it in the mastery series for about 80 a piece
https://www.scientificanglers.com/product/amplitude-anadro/

The bvk would like the MPX for sure

So both of these lines are built a line and a half heavy, so I would just choose my exact weight for each rod? For my method I never felt I had the right line, because it is basically a broomstick, it’s a 7wt, would you recommend choosing the 7wt line as well?

So both of these lines are built a line and a half heavy, so I would just choose my exact weight for each rod? For my method I never felt I had the right line, because it is basically a broomstick, it’s a 7wt, would you recommend choosing the 7wt line as well?

The MPX is .5 heavy the anadro is 1.5, you would want to get the line rated for your rod. Your method will really like that line I have it on a 6wt zenith and can roll cast a double nymph rig with a bunch of lead a mile.

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
SA Infinity is a great all around line. I think it would do just fine on a Method.

Stalker69

WKR
In my limited experience, a good line on one rod, may not be a good line on another rod. It can be expensive to buy and sell, but you gotta find what the rod likes.

Or google your rod, alot of manufactures will have a recommended line for their rod. While not always the best line for it, I find it's a great start.

But really, for nymphing, I doubt it matters, almost any of the big name line makers make a WFF that can throw a nymph rig 40ft.

T&T recommends SA Amplitude Trout for the Avantt for instance and they do not recommend over-lining. I went against that and bought some RIO nymph line...casts like crap. Picked up some SA and bam, casts like a dream.

For Royal Wulff...their Triangle taper is badass for bonefish/redfish flies...but again, its probably more rod specific, It was fantastic on a CORE 1 piece fast action, it was a little less impressive on a Allen rod I had, I did over-line both of those...which helped. I think its incorrect to just says dont buy this company their line sucks...its all application dependent.

Ymmv.

The line may work on another rod but if they absolutely have NO customer service, that’s a reason not to buy from them, in my book. And it wasn’t a problem with casting I had, it was an issue with the line itself.

SA Infinity is a great all around line. I think it would do just fine on a Method.

Infinity is an excellent line but only 1/4 heavy, if you put the 8wt on a 7 at method it may work. The infinity pairs very nicely with a slower action blank like the Scott G series, it’s an excellent dry fly combo.

Vandy321

WKR
The line may work on another rod but if they absolutely have NO customer service, that’s a reason not to buy from them, in my book. And it wasn’t a problem with casting I had, it was an issue with the line itself.

To each his own. I've been very happy with RW in the past. Sorry you had a bad experience. Their BSTT is easily one of the more popular lines for the redfish/bonefish crowd.

Your comment of "I hate wolff (spelled it wrong)" with no additional details didn't really sell me on them being the problem, that's all.

Fly line seems to be pretty simply, strip it, cast it, repeat. Not much to it aside from the taper. Maybe clean it every once in a while so it floats true. Aside from abuse from rocks, stepping on it, etc, what exactly was the problem, assuming you're saying it was defective. Sure, some may seem to shoot better, load better at short distances, have less memory, etc, but alot of that is opinions of the end user. Just curious what the problem was and how they refused to help. Using one customer service experience to condemn a companies highly rated product seems a little extreme to me.

Last edited:
OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Infinity is an excellent line but only 1/4 heavy, if you put the 8wt on a 7 at method it may work. The infinity pairs very nicely with a slower action blank like the Scott G series, it’s an excellent dry fly combo.

I think I'm settled on SA, so to clarify you would recommend the MPX in a 6wt for my BVK and the anadro in 7wt for my method? Thanks again for the detailed help.

I think I'm settled on SA, so to clarify you would recommend the MPX in a 6wt for my BVK and the anadro in 7wt for my method? Thanks again for the detailed help.

Yea man that’s the ticket with both rods. MPX with the BVK is an excellent combo with it’s faster action. The Method is more like a line weight heavy it’s super fast, might say 7 but it’s closer to 8, if you put a true to line weight line on it like the trout you wouldn’t get it to load unless you got 50-60 feet of line out, not sure if you streamer fish but that thing would be excellent with a 200-250 grain sink tip also. You’ll see it come alive with that anadro.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I have an extra spool with sink tip that goes with my method, that’s also rio, so when that sh*ts a brick, which I’m surprised it’s lasted this long, I’ll look into that as well. I don’t know the grain of the head, but it’s the big nasty F/H/I/S3. I’ve definitely noticed the Method is not the most user friendly, especially with not having a line that doesn’t match it well.

I have an extra spool with sink tip that goes with my method, that’s also rio, so when that sh*ts a brick, which I’m surprised it’s lasted this long, I’ll look into that as well. I don’t know the grain of the head, but it’s the big nasty F/H/I/S3. I’ve definitely noticed the Method is not the most user friendly, especially with not having a line that doesn’t match it well.

We used to sell a bunch in 8&9 weight and put outbound short sinktip on and the 8wt was like 330 grains, super heavy for an 8 and you could do one false cast, back cast and double haul and hit the backing knot, it’s a Howitzer with the right line.

i have way too many fly reels. as such lines get expensive. For my smaller trout stuff i started buying the inexpensive lines they have at sportsmans warehouse and i swear they are exactly the same as a high end rio line. i certainly dont notice a difference and for $29 rather than $89 i will gladly use them. For trout fishing on small streams i just do not see the need for a high end line. I do also do some heavy indicator fishing and for that i use the Rio indicator line and i for that I will spend the extra money. (as well as a few other scenarios that require lines with a very specific purpose)

Wassid82

WKR
worked at fly shops all the way through college. SA (my favorite one is Mastery) lines are the least returned lines I saw. I never saw someone buy one of their lines and then seem dissatisfied. I have some Rio and I used airflo a couple of seasons but then decided SA or Rio were the better ones for my application.