Flying with a backpack

lslotten

FNG
I am curious what type of duffle bag you guys are using when flying with a backpack. I currently have barneys and would like to have it in a bag when I fly from ND to AK.

Fedster

FNG
I have flown basically every week with my SO 24 inches frame, with an old peregrine bag, with and without a day talon, for about 4 years. Always as carry on.

Buzby

WKR
I have flown basically every week with my SO 24 inches frame, with an old peregrine bag, with and without a day talon, for about 4 years. Always as carry on.
Good to hear. I just bought a goshawk and plan to carry on often. I was considering cutting 2” off the frame and bring the extensions.

is there a trick to getting a bag with pack frame more than 22 inches into overhead carry on. few years back i was asked to put my pilot suitcase type carry on into the sizing cage and have had to check it just because the wheels put it slightly over the size limit. the flight back i just unscrewed the phillips screws from inside and took the wheels off. Alaska airlines went for 24 to 22 inches last year.

OP
L

lslotten

FNG
Are there any other bags out there guys are using or are most of you just using a top load dry bag?

WTFJohn

WKR
Are there any other bags out there guys are using or are most of you just using a top load dry bag?

This duffel stuffs into it's own pocket and is made for 70-100L backpacks. Has a shoulder strap as well so it's still fairly easy to carry. I used one on a trip to Patagonia to keep my pack alive during the travel portion.

Fedster

FNG
is there a trick to getting a bag with pack frame more than 22 inches into overhead carry on. few years back i was asked to put my pilot suitcase type carry on into the sizing cage and have had to check it just because the wheels put it slightly over the size limit. the flight back i just unscrewed the phillips screws from inside and took the wheels off. Alaska airlines went for 24 to 22 inches last year.

In my opinion my SO backpack was never challenged size-wise because nobody ever realised it has a rigid frame. So it is very much a matter of luck.