Flying with Meat

Kilboars

WKR
Last year I had my Elk Processed and then over nighted from NM to S.FL and it was pricey. People talk about it being cheaper to just check in a cooler or two with the meat and pay the extra to the airlines.

Anybody doing this and is there anything I need to look out for?

I'm upgraded to first class so I'll get two 70lb pieces of luggage. Also wondering about airlines attitude with frozen meat.

Thanks for any advise. Doing the same Elk hunt in NM this year.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I've always stuck meat it in a fish box and checked it at the gate. As long as it's good and frozen before boxing up you should be good to go. contact info and lots of tape always helps.
I've done 4 boxes from SE AK to SE US with no problems. Baggage fees may apply but at least it's with ya and perhaps cheaper than shipping.
good luck!

I once flew from Sitka to Seattle with so much frozen fish on board that 1st class was the only ones who got their luggage. Buddy sitting next to me was a landing gear engineer and after running the math knew that just the fish got us to maximum take off weight so we didn't waste our time at baggage claim.

Alaska air ships a ton of frozen meat so with them no big deal. Just the same as any other baggage going in the belly. But if you're flying somebody else I'd check with them.

Flew from Anchorage AK to KC 2013 and then drove to 3hours south with Alaska salmon and caribou in two fish boxes! Fish boxes are the best way. Froze the meat in the boxes and Alaskan Airlines marked them as perishable. Taped all the open ends and stuffed news paper inside to fill the air gaps. No I ice or dry ice. Frozen solid when I got home. Will see if I can find a picture of them. These were checked as baggage.

TK

OBP

WKR
I've flown with coolers of meat on several occasions. As previously stated, as long as the meat gets frozen prior you shouldn't have any issues. I've never had any issues or negative attitudes at all from the airlines. I usually duct tape the coolers shut after they're checked, just to give them a little extra security.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Thank you much all. I have Vigils Meat in Espanola NM process all the meat and flash freeze it. Only thawing would be one night in Albuquerque before the flight but a few bags of ice should take care of that. Now I just need to get a bull on the ground.

I'll look into those fish boxes and bring some gaffers tape. I figured I'd just buy some good coolers from a Walmart.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
I flew a mule deer from Idaho to MA in cooler that I bought from walmart. We were able to process and freeze the deer for 48 hours so it was good and frozen and weighed it prior to to leaving to make sure we didnt exceed the 50lb total and get hit with a surcharge. It was plenty frozen when I got home. I taped my license number and description of what was inside to the inside lid of the cooler so there werent any questions when TSA looked into it (which they did from the cut duck tape). Way cheaper to fly meat and ship gear home!

Ive shipped meat and flown with it. I choose flying it going forward. When i shipped it, Fed Ex lost half of it, and the other half was starting to de-thaw when i finally got it. When i flew with it i was traveling with a buddy that does a lot of Alaska trips, told me to buy first class. When i did and flew with meat, i got three bags, or in my case 2 coolers and my bow free with my ticket. My buddy took a cooler with him too. All the coolers were over 50lbs, they didnt care cause we were first class, just slapped a heavy sticker on it. Like others i duct taped the coolers shut and used a marker to put my information on it. When we got home everything was still frozen and good to go, and i had all my meat. I UPS all my other gear home. When i cost out the price of bags and the tickets its basically a wash. However, if you add bags or coolers coming home you will spend more money then just buying the first class ticket in most cases. Plus its nice to have that leg room after being on a mountain for a few weeks.

I have flown venison from MI to Az 4 times. The first 3 had no problems at all. Meat was completely frozen upon arrival. This last time however was a different story. The airlines tried telling me that they opened it and had to throw it away because it was spoiled. I did everything the same as the other 3 trips.

What is a fish box and where do u get them?

In Alaska you can buy a fish box any where, because everyone wants to fly seafood and local meats home. He is a picture of one. They come waxed cardboard or with styrofoam inside. I used both and they did fine. Here is a example of a fish box. Your local grocery store or meat store should have them. They might even give you some. You might call where you plan to hunt. Then they have them. I used a hand held fish scale and rope to make sure they weighted exactly what the airline wanted!
cadf25e38614823ee929b5633a90d72c.jpg

TK

nvgoosehntr

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy brought 2 coolers back from Alaska and they only charged him 100 bucks, they were about 100 quart size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

DWinVA

WKR
Been following this thread since I'll be flying out to hunt elk in CO in Sept. For you guys that ship gear back home exactly how do you do this? Do you just ship the bow case as is? Do you get cardboard from somewhere and wrap it or what? Thanks.

God Bless.

If you have a solid bow case like a Pelican, obviously ship it in just that. Slap a shipping label on the side and you're good to go.

If you have a soft sided case, the wise choice is to box it up. If the box is roughly the same dimensions as the case, it won't even cost you that much extra.

Johnboy

WKR
In Alaska you can buy a fish box any where, because everyone wants to fly seafood and local meats home. He is a picture of one. They come waxed cardboard or with styrofoam inside. I used both and they did fine. Here is a example of a fish box. Your local grocery store or meat store should have them. They might even give you some. You might call where you plan to hunt. Then they have them. I used a hand held fish scale and rope to make sure they weighted exactly what the airline wanted!

TK

TK, what size is that box and what does it weigh when filled with frozen meat? The fish box via AK Air concept is my backup plan for next month if the AK Meat Express guy is full (his route goes through my back yard). That is, if I'm fortunate to kill a moose!

Zor

FNG
I fly with heavy duty rubbermaids or action packers. Coolers weigh a bunch by themselves so you get less meat per checked item. I freeze it all solid and then pack a layer of cloths on the bottom, then meat, then cloths/gear on top. I usually seperate the gear and meat with a towel just in case. I fly southwest, so I get two free 50lb checked bags (meat and gear) and then pay $50 for my rifle or bow. If you have more meat, just check more rubbermaids. Also, if you use nesting totes you can just pack in one as a suitcase and then nest and tape the snot out of em.

TK, what size is that box and what does it weigh when filled with frozen meat? The fish box via AK Air concept is my backup plan for next month if the AK Meat Express guy is full (his route goes through my back yard). That is, if I'm fortunate to kill a moose!

John I don't remember the size. I will see if I can find more pictures I have. They box I had weighed exactly 50lbs loaded. I have a buddy in Anchorage if you have to much moose and want to donate! Haha, good luck

TK