Flying with pistol

Taking a trip to alaska next month and looking into flying with a pistol. I know about flying with a hard case, declaring, etc. but was wondering if once all that is done, can I stuff that hard case into my luggage to avoid paying 40 bucks for such a small thing. Thanks guys.

Trial153

WKR
Taking a trip to alaska next month and looking into flying with a pistol. I know about flying with a hard case, declaring, etc. but was wondering if once all that is done, can I stuff that hard case into my luggage to avoid paying 40 bucks for such a small thing. Thanks guys.

I put mine in my bow case …best of both worlds, keeps out the TSA after its all checked and declared

GLB

WKR
Yes. I do it all the time. Handgun needs to be in a locked hard case, unloaded. Ammo must be in original/approved container and separate from handgun. Stuff all of that in your suitcase. They will give you a forum to put in your suitcase when you declare it at check in and will probably hand inspect it .

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, you can put your pistol in your other checked baggage. That's what I do if I'm just taking my pistol and not my full long gun case.

fwafwow

WKR
The exact procedures may vary by airline, and I'm not aware of the $40 fee you reference, as while I've flown plenty of times with a firearm, it was always using either a dedicated rifle case, or by placing a pistol in my bow case as mentioned by @Trial153. Note that the pistol in bow case approach is not without possible drawbacks. I've had a couple of my locks either cut off or caught in and destroyed in the machinery (I believe the former but was told the latter), and depending on the airport in question, you may not be able to be present when the case is opened for inspection. If your bow case has lots of points where locks can be used, I'd suggest putting a lock on each point. (Some TSA agents will insist on that, even though they are supposed to only require enough locked points to prevent prying open the case.)

OP
wesGiddingshunt
The exact procedures may vary by airline, and I'm not aware of the $40 fee you reference, as while I've flown plenty of times with a firearm, it was always using either a dedicated rifle case, or by placing a pistol in my bow case as mentioned by @Trial153. Note that the pistol in bow case approach is not without possible drawbacks. I've had a couple of my locks either cut off or caught in and destroyed in the machinery (I believe the former but was told the latter), and depending on the airport in question, you may not be able to be present when the case is opened for inspection. If your bow case has lots of points where locks can be used, I'd suggest putting a lock on each point. (Some TSA agents will insist on that, even though they are supposed to only require enough locked points to prevent prying open the case.)
I was talking about paying for a second bag through alaska airlines for something so small and light as a pistol case. I think it’s 40 bucks right now.

gearguywb

WKR
Not only is it allowed, it is a best practice! Last thing you want is a small case with a "please steal me" tag hanging on it. Declare it, put the tag inside the case, case inside a larger piece of luggage

B-C

FNG
As long as it’s in a locked case and has been inspected and verified as locked by tsa it can go right in your normal luggage. Ammo has to be in its original box or airline approved case

2531usmc

WKR
Lots of good discussion here, but one more question.

handgun goes into a locked pelican case. Got it,
Pelican case goes into checked luggage. Got it.
But does the checked bags have to be locked also. Ideally, yes you would like to lock the checked bags but almost no checked bags have tabes to install a lock

Any insight would be appreciated

But does the checked bags have to be locked also. Ideally, yes you would like to lock the checked bags but almost no checked bags have tabes to install a lock

No, checked bag does not need to be locked. In fact, I’d recommend not locking it, because if TSA wants to inspect your bag, they’re going to regardless of whether it’s locked or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR

I refer to this site everytime I pack for a hunt. I've basically got it memorized, but still check to make sure regs haven't changed.
Hope this helps.

Timely thread as I am flying up to AK on Monday with my 10mm and have always just packed it in my rifle case, which was a separate case, but not taking a rifle this time. Planning on declaring at counter, putting ticket in case, then locking and stuffing in regular suitcase. Then just take suitcase over to TSA special screening area.

I see nothing on Alaskan airlines website about separating ammo from firearm so will do as I always have and store it with the firearm in locked case.

TSA.jpg

FLATHEAD

WKR
It can be a pain, but I dont go much of anywhere without my edc.
Once flew from the Gulf Coast up to Spokane where we
stayed a few days before making a day trip up into Nelson, B.C.
I know Canada is a no no on handguns so I left my Glock in the locked Pelican
case with the hotel mgt.
Got it when we came back, then continued on to Id., and Mt.
You just have to carry these days.

GueroUlt

FNG
I’m traveling to Alaska in a month and want to bring my handgun as well. Great timing for this post. Is a pelican case the best thing to package it in? First timer traveling with a gun so not sure what all the options are to package it in the airline.

Ever had any issues with the baggage service office at your final destination being closed?

MattB

WKR

No