FNG From the flatland

Great stuff here guys...cant imagine my 1st hunt without the help I've gathered here so far!

Illinois flatland whitetail hunter getting ready for my 1st Elk hunt....60 days but who's counting?

Rodney LaCaze

Buster

WKR
Just a warning, once you start hunting elk (or anything out west) you'll be hooked. Good luck on the elk hunt.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
welcome to Rokslide. Your in for the ride of your life. You hiring a guide?

OP
R
I'm not hiring a guide... Lucky to tag along with guys who go every year.
The anticipation is about to kill me!

Rodney LaCaze

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Well thats good then. I was going to say if you planned to come out elk hunting without ever having boots on the ground then you better plan a full 30 days to scout and get your gameplan together. But sounds like your coming with a group of guys that know the area. have fun, Be safe, Remember the altitude can kill your hunt so plan on some downtime when you arrive to get acclimated.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
What state are you going to hunt? Rifle or bow? Welcome to your bank accounts worse dream.:cool: Seriously, this is a great place with a lot of great people. Welcome to Rokslide.

bz_711

WKR
Just a warning, once you start hunting elk (or anything out west) you'll be hooked. Good luck on the elk hunt.

Ditto - IL Whitetail hunter here as well...made first trip to bowhunt Elk in CO in 2010...they tried to warn me...I have been every Sept since and hope I never miss one. Good Luck! Bring us a story and pics back this fall!

Haven't been here long enough to really belong on the welcome committee, but welcome from a fellow FIB who started elk hunting just a few years ago. It is addictive. When my buddy's wife informed me that her son's wedding date was going to be right smack in the middle of my WY elk hunt, I just smiled and reassured her that I'd make sure to catch the next one.

Where will you be hunting?

OP
R
Heading to Colorado...Close to Steamboat.
I will be bringing the Bear Bow out with me so it should be a challenge!
I've hunted whitetail deer for 25 years, but never hunted for elk.
I have so many questions about stuff that I've forgotten questions!
My expectations are pretty low...I've never done this before so stumbling into a site like Rokslide has been a godsend!
I really appreciate the information that is so freely given here!
Rodney LaCaze

Lots of good guys here with all kinds of info. Keep hitting your buddies with questions. Keep poking around here. If you have technical questions about equipment, this seems to be the site. There are an awful lot of gearheads here with answers for any pack/shelter/accessories questions you can come up with.