Food plot chemical prices!

Holy cow last august I should’ve loaded a van trailer of 2.5s and shipped them to your guys market. Yes roundup was high but 70-80 bucks?? We were 32/gal branded roundup 24 generic. Now we are 13.50 branded and 14 generic with Bayer cornering the market on the way down! 24D, dicamba, and many other staples are tanking so this fall and next year should be good. Price correction coming with glyphosate though likely to stabilize in the 16-20 dollar range.

Holy cow last august I should’ve loaded a van trailer of 2.5s and shipped them to your guys market. Yes roundup was high but 70-80 bucks?? We were 32/gal branded roundup 24 generic. Now we are 13.50 branded and 14 generic with Bayer cornering the market on the way down! 24D, dicamba, and many other staples are tanking so this fall and next year should be good. Price correction coming with glyphosate though likely to stabilize in the 16-20 dollar range.

Huh? Where abouts is this reality? for joe schmoe food plotter even?

ChuckC

WKR
Yes these prices are more in line with folks that have a restricted use license for pesticide use. A fellow that is planting say oats on his acreage even its small food plots could be considered winter grazing for their hand full of goats.

Urea and really all nitrogen fertilizer sources begin to spike in the fall as natural gas is used for heating and the price of it rises. Then it tends to drop for us after winter wheat crop is fertilized in the spring and natural gas prices drop a little bit. N fertilizers tend to go down time we use them in rice, cotton, and corn. But yes all input prices go up when fuel prices go up but never fall quite as fast as they go up.

Yes these prices are more in line with folks that have a restricted use license for pesticide use.
How hard are said licenses to obtain? The thought crossed my mind as it wouldn't be horrible to be able to get atrazine for sorghum or switchgrass or have paraquat to rid myself of horsetail..

ChuckC

WKR
How hard are said licenses to obtain? The thought crossed my mind as it wouldn't be horrible to be able to get atrazine for sorghum or switchgrass or have paraquat to rid myself of horsetail..
It depends upon the state. In Arkansas, our State Plant board is the regulatory agency for it. You can pay like $25 I think it is, sit through a 1-2 hour training and it’s good for 3-5 years. You can obtain one as long as you are engaged in commercial agriculture. Selling hay, vegetable crops like a truck stand, any row crop, or animal production.

Dicamba is your best bet on horseweed/marestail

It depends upon the state. In Arkansas, our State Plant board is the regulatory agency for it. You can pay like $25 I think it is, sit through a 1-2 hour training and it’s good for 3-5 years. You can obtain one as long as you are engaged in commercial agriculture. Selling hay, vegetable crops like a truck stand, any row crop, or animal production.

Dicamba is your best bet on horseweed/marestail
Thanks, that seems to align with my recollection. The agriculture part might be the challenge. The emerging weed that might need attention if bringing pH up doesn't do the trick is horsetail, not to be confused with marestail.

WCB

WKR
I mean kind of hard to complain about an absolute luxury. I did/am doing about 2.5 acres of plots on property about 2hrs from home. Chemical cost is one of those things that just kind of is what it is. If I was doing 5, 10, 20 acres ok it starts adding up...But to driving a $50,000 truck, with a $7,000 wheeler, $3000 brush mower, spending $100 every trip in fuel.....$45 a gallon for Glyphosate is the least of my worries.

ChuckC

WKR
Got
Thanks, that seems to align with my recollection. The agriculture part might be the challenge. The emerging weed that might need attention if bringing pH up doesn't do the trick is horsetail, not to be confused with marestail
Thanks, that seems to align with my recollection. The agriculture part might be the challenge. The emerging weed that might need attention if bringing pH up doesn't do the trick is horsetail, not to be confused with marestail.
Gotcha. Might have to get creative with your description of commercial production 😜

Huh? Where abouts is this reality? for joe schmoe food plotter even?
Central Montana, we sell to guys who have yards to spray to 20k acre farms. Most co-ops or private retailers will be cheaper than big box stores.

Private applicator license is easy peasy. Horsetail I’ve had best luck with glyphosate and a silicon surfactant.

Paraquat needs an additional license now but takes 30 minutes and is online easy.

Horsetail I’ve had best luck with glyphosate and a silicon surfactant.

Silicon surfactant must be the trick? I've only used non-ionic, never heard of silicon, but spraying with with the gly that comes mixed with surfactant + AMS just enhances horsetail for me because it kills all the competition and doesn't seem to even bother the horsetail.

Prices haven't been any better at co-ops in MN than you can find online. I'm set for a couple more years on most stuff though.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ll spot spray some Johnson grass in my plots, but that’s all the spraying I do. I don’t spray my whole foodplots anymore. I broadcast seed and fertilizer and then bushhog my fields in mid September when I plant my plots. I won’t touch them again until planting time the next year.