Footwear for AK Browns

bdud14

FNG
Guide told me to bring waist waders which it looks like cabelas has a decent option but was less clear on the boots to go along with. Anyone have experience hiking a few miles in the Simms G3? Or would you buy a cheaper hiking boot that is well vented and can drain water?

Simms and wading boots is a great idea. Much more comfortable than traditional waders and the boots aren't all that bad for moderate hiking.

Fall/Spring? Mountains or low lands? Those two questions would be on my mind. Also, bear in mind that there will be far more sitting and glassing while hunting brown bears (typically) than hiking.

OP
bdud14

bdud14

FNG
Perfect that's what I was thinking. It will be a fall hunt in the low lands. Guide said we rarely get above 500 ft and maybe a few miles of hiking per day but vast majority will be sitting and glassing as you indicate. Want to make sure boots are comfortable because it sounds like I will be living in them+ waders all week.

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
I went with Simms Flyweight Wading boots for the same application (fall coastal brown bear). Much lighter and more comfortable than the Cabelas wading boots I've used hunting flooded swamps at home, where not as as much hiking/climbing is involved. I got a screaming deal on G3 chest waders in camo and went with them. The waist highs were tempting though. Either way, no wet butt while glassing for hours. They tell me it rains a bit on the AK Peninsula.

OP
bdud14

bdud14

FNG
I went with Simms Flyweight Wading boots for the same application (fall coastal brown bear). Much lighter and more comfortable than the Cabelas wading boots I've used hunting flooded swamps at home, where not as as much hiking/climbing is involved. I got a screaming deal on G3 chest waders in camo and went with them. The waist highs were tempting though. Either way, no wet butt while glassing for hours. They tell me it rains a bit on the AK Peninsula.
Thanks for the detail here. Flyweight looks like a solid choice. Did you like the chest waders? I have a pair of Kennebenc;s from LLBean I could use but was considering the waist waders.

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
I was eyeing the waist high Simms pretty hard... in the end, I was a bit concerned about the rather large waist belt not getting along with my pack hip belt, the fact that I’ll get more use from chest waders duck hunting and fishing, and that I got a great deal on chest waders. I don’t know where in the Pen you’re going, but I understand a lot of folks do fine with ankle tight hip boots. I’ve put a fair amount of distance on Lacrosse hip boots and stocking foot waders (neoprene and GTX), and I’d rather be keel hauled than climb steep hills in heavy insulated hippers. Stocking foot waders with decent shoes, not a problem.
I’d be interested to hear how the pants waders fare with a pack, and if the waterproof zipper stays waterproof.

hankharp

FNG
Go with the Simms G3 Guide boots. I spent two months in them last fall and I am a firm believer.

I paired them with Chota Tundra Hippies, which are a stockingfoot hip wader that I would roll down to knee height when I wasn’t in the water.

I’ve never gotten a blister or hot spot with this set up and that has included heading up into the high country on several occasions.

If you’re going to go with a more rubber traditional hip wader, go with Lacrosse Big Chiefs. They run large, so I would size down. I’m normally 11-11.5, but I wear a 10 in the Big Chiefs. I would also go with the insulated version, the tread is better in my opinion.

If you’re choosing between the pant and chest versions of waders, go with the pant. The chest-high deals are just too much once you get moving.

Seriously, check out the Tundra Hippies.