For Those Of You Who've Been To Total Archery Challenge (TAC)

Hey All TAC(ers),

Going to my first TAC event in Utah next month. I was wondering if there are venders available to purchase equipment/items? I've seen pics of booths, but like Kuiu, Exo, SG, Kifaru, Iron Will ect, will they have a booth I could purchase items from? This is obviously not the reason I'm going to TAC, but if there is an option to look at some equipment before just pulling the trigger blind on the website and paying for return shipping I would be interested.

Bonus questions: What's the one thing you wish you new before going to a TAC event...?

Westhunt

FNG
I've been to the Utah TAC the last 7 years, there's always a handful of vendors with gear. I would recommend bringing a little archery first aid kit for your bow. Some extra nocks, D loop material etc. The number one thing to bring is some arrow lube and a puller. Some of Those 3D targets weld onto the arrow and are crazy tough to pull.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah plenty of vendors and gear. Most had inventory available to purchase and others were just set up for demo.

Throw a couple protein bars or snacks in your pack.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned, many (but not all) of the booths will have stuff there to purchase. If they don’t, most of them had some sort of discount if you ordered something from them while you’re there.

Definitely bring a hex key set, extra nocks, and some d-loop material/stuff to tie it (lighter, pliers, etc). I fortunately didn’t have to use any of it, but I ended up lending my hex keys to another group while we were waiting to shoot and tied a d-loop for a guy. It would suck to get 3-4 targets in and have something happen to your d-loop. Seconded on bringing an arrow puller.

Make sure you have a means to carry plenty of water. The courses will have coolers with water to refill your bladder/bottles, but it might be 15-20 targets in after you have been hiking for 2-3 hours.

Skeezer69

FNG
Would really like to experience on of those one day! Looks like a great challenging time!

KHNC

WKR
Better take a shit ton of arrows!! Those courses are brutal on them. Had a guy shooting with us in TN that broke or lost a DOZEN on one course. LOL.

Better take a shit ton of arrows!! Those courses are brutal on them. Had a guy shooting with us in TN that broke or lost a DOZEN on one course. LOL.

I think its all in your ability as an archer.
I shot 3 courses this year and only lost/broke 4 between RMEF, BRCC, and Nock-On. I brought 7 arrows with me and was fully prepared to buy new ones

KHNC

WKR
I think its all in your ability as an archer.
I shot 3 courses this year and only lost/broke 4 between RMEF, BRCC, and Nock-On. I brought 7 arrows with me and was fully prepared to buy new ones
Definitely depends on the shooter ability. I lost one arrow in 4 courses over 2 days in TN that day. However, loads of people were breaking arrows all over the place.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I made it through shooting the same arrow the whole course (BRCC), but there were more than a few “arrow graveyards” out there. BRCC wasn’t super long shots (I think 75 was the longest) but there were a lot of really tight shots and smaller targets at 50+ yards. Lots of stuff obscured by logs/trees/brush. I remember one shot on a bedded animal behind a log at 60 something yards that I had to hold my pin on the log and let the trajectory of the arrow do it’s thing.
IMG_0309.jpeg

Have a sight that has a slider on it. I shot my first 2 years at TAC with a 5 pin fixed. Did not go well for the courses I shot. The past two years I have had a lot more fun and have been able to extend my range. Water and a hoody are another great things to have. The weather can quickly make a turn for the worse.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Take an extra couple of field tips. Also...everything else that's been said. Snacks, water, allen wrench, D loop, arrow puller, range finder(obviously)

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I have been shooting TAC for 7 years now, some years we go through more arrows than others. This year at Big sky, him and I both, shot all three days and only broke one arrow each. As for what to bring, I bring probably more than I should, but it goes in the camper or truck and I have it, but I bring extra nocks, d loop material, serving, extra field tips, and I have the last chance archery portable press and I have had to set it up because my son's string kept stretching and I had to twist it a couple of times. As for what we bring on the course, I'll bring extra nocks, water and something to eat, and rain gear...we got poured on, both Friday and Saturday, and i was glad we had it.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
At Texas this year there was very little stuff I would be interested in for sale.. No decent shirts hats etc. And very little food. I was expecting food vendors.. next year I'll be more prepared when it comes to eating..

Yoder

WKR
Toughest thing for me was shooting steep uphill shots. I have no way to practice that where I live. Down hill I shoot off the roof of my house.

Toughest thing for me was shooting steep uphill shots. I have no way to practice that where I live. Down hill I shoot off the roof of my house.
Can you hoist your target in a tree or off a light post somewhere in the middle of nowhere? Either that, or put your target on the roof?

OP, take bug spray and sun screen, or dress appropriately for both. At MAF in Purgatory, I always seem to forget bug spray and regret it.

OP
B
Copy that on bug spray! I don't really have tics where I live, so I assume that is also something to watch out for.
I also don't have a way to shoot uphill....going to have to do some web research on that

ncavi8tor

WKR
Copy that on bug spray! I don't really have tics where I live, so I assume that is also something to watch out for.
I also don't have a way to shoot uphill....going to have to do some web research on that
Spray your pants thoroughly with Permethrin and let them dry before you go to TAC. That will keep the ticks away. That's what I did before TAC in PA and never had one on me.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
This is the first time they've had an event at Solitude. So it's hard to say what it'll end up like but I'd find a comfortable set of broken in boots and be comfortable with the shots I take. Those two things will fix most issues at TAC. I work at Snowbird and have shot that since it was called Bowcast. I've also shot the other Utah courses. Knowing the terrain at Solitude, it should be a fun shoot but mellower than Snowbasin and Snowbird.

Oh, and come prepared. If you're a flatlander you should hydrate and deal with altitude related issues before they become debilitating.