Fort Collins vs Southern WY

TaperPin

WKR
My ex wife is from Cheyenne and I went to college in Fort Collins and was a realtor for a brief time in Cheyenne. They are quite different.

If you can make friends with the wind and slightly cooler climate Cheyenne is a nice town without most of the crazy big city problems. There are many different neighborhoods, each with a different feel and type - both in a traditional neighborhood as well as larger lots as you go farther out. Cheyenne is an older feeling town because there isn’t anything close to the population explosion that has happened along the front range. Cheyenne is full of normal Wyoming folk - don’t believe everything you read otherwise. If you live for sitting on the patio eating and drinking with friends for hours each night, or riding a road bicycle for an hour each night, the Cheyenne climate may not be for you. Trees lean because of the wind. On weekends it’s close to Fort Collins for shopping and whatnot. Schools in Cheyenne are what you make of them - my ex was the top of her class and her group of friends are as successful and well off as anyone.

Fort Collins is a college town close to downtown and it has all the issues that go along with it. It’s also relatively expensive all around. People don’t move there to save money. Outside the city can be more affordable, or more exclusive and crazy expensive. Many people live along the interstate in housing tracks and commute to Cheyenne - if you like a more modern city with a number of new restaurants and sports bars, then Colorado is your place. It’s less windy and slightly warmer so outside activities are easier - which is why all the people moved there and why traffic is so bad. In many ways Fort Collins feels the same size as Boise, Anchorage, or Reno.

There isn’t great hunting close to Cheyenne, but the same can be said for Fort Collins. Wyoming isn’t a huge state - you have an interstate that goes directly across it all, and in 8 hours you can be in the nations top deer/elk hunting areas, and only four hours gets you deep in prime antelope habitat.

I‘m biased and grew up in the wind, so I wouldn’t have a problem living in Cheyenne. I can also appreciate having a more comfortable yard and patio to hang out in in Fort Collins.

TaperPin

WKR
Been in Cheyenne 20 plus years 6 years ago moved east on acreage and love it. Ya it’s windy but there’s none of the Colorado politic bullshit I have to deal with. To me it’s a win.
You’re in my favorite part of Cheyenne - that’s where I’d look at closely.

OP
Fever Buck
My ex wife is from Cheyenne and I went to college in Fort Collins and was a realtor for a brief time in Cheyenne. They are quite different.

If you can make friends with the wind and slightly cooler climate Cheyenne is a nice town without most of the crazy big city problems. There are many different neighborhoods, each with a different feel and type - both in a traditional neighborhood as well as larger lots as you go farther out. Cheyenne is an older feeling town because there isn’t anything close to the population explosion that has happened along the front range. Cheyenne is full of normal Wyoming folk - don’t believe everything you read otherwise. If you live for sitting on the patio eating and drinking with friends for hours each night, or riding a road bicycle for an hour each night, the Cheyenne climate may not be for you. Trees lean because of the wind. On weekends it’s close to Fort Collins for shopping and whatnot. Schools in Cheyenne are what you make of them - my ex was the top of her class and her group of friends are as successful and well off as anyone.

Fort Collins is a college town close to downtown and it has all the issues that go along with it. It’s also relatively expensive all around. People don’t move there to save money. Outside the city can be more affordable, or more exclusive and crazy expensive. Many people live along the interstate in housing tracks and commute to Cheyenne - if you like a more modern city with a number of new restaurants and sports bars, then Colorado is your place. It’s less windy and slightly warmer so outside activities are easier - which is why all the people moved there and why traffic is so bad. In many ways Fort Collins feels the same size as Boise, Anchorage, or Reno.

There isn’t great hunting close to Cheyenne, but the same can be said for Fort Collins. Wyoming isn’t a huge state - you have an interstate that goes directly across it all, and in 8 hours you can be in the nations top deer/elk hunting areas, and only four hours gets you deep in prime antelope habitat.

I‘m biased and grew up in the wind, so I wouldn’t have a problem living in Cheyenne. I can also appreciate having a more comfortable yard and patio to hang out in in Fort Collins.
Thanks for the information. Having to drive for hunting doesn’t bother me too much. At some point I’d love to hunt out my back door but for now just having access to Wyoming hunting compared to the crowd of CO seems really nice, even if I have to drive a while to get there.

go_deep

WKR
Cheyenne is north Fort Collins at this point. Cheyenne has changed a lot in the last 15 years and none have been for the better.

@Fever Buck

I'll offer a contrary opinion.

I think Fort Collins is a great place to live. I have been here a decade as of this month.

I don't think there's any restaurants that I find really outstanding, but you can certainly find something decent to eat.

There is an abundance of parks, trails, open spaces if you just want to take the kids/dog for a walk. Lory State Park, Horsetooth mountain, etc.

Yea, it's expensive and increasingly crowded. All of those people (me included) didn't move here because it sucks...

I also disagree with the "north Boulder" comments. That doesn't reflect my experience at all and I have spent an unfortunate number of days in Boulder.

There's a fair amount to do at any time of year. We've been to breweries, rodeos, concerts, hockey games...

You might save a few dollars by going with Wellington but I think it wouldn't mean much for a commute. The difference between the south Fort Collins exits and the Wellington exit is maybe ten minutes.

Commuting to Cheyenne wouldn't be bad, in my opinion.

jayhawk

WKR
Fort Collins. Your quality of life will be much better. Restaurants, bars, parks, public land access, fishing, activities, crime rate, vicinity to Denver, etc are all better in Fort Collins. There’s a reason everyone from Cheyenne and Laramie come down to Fort Collins on the weekends.

Cheyenne is the armpit of Wyoming. High crime rates, meth, terrible weather, far from any real public land, and just no energy there.

cnelk

WKR
I’m outside of FoCo in the county - closer to Laporte than downtown FoCo.

I bought my house 35 years ago that’s on a short dead end gravel road. (Equity $$$!!!)
I can shoot my bow in my big yard, I have chickens and a shop.

You really can’t beat the weather here but even that is getting outweighed by other factors.

Not sure if I could honestly recommend moving here anymore. But I have my little slices of heaven in both Colorado and Wyo, so I’m one of the lucky ones.

Good luck with your search

Clayniss

FNG
Howdy folks, I have a job opportunity up in Cheyenne WY. As much as I’d like to become a WY resident, I’ve heard that it’s not a great place to live. My family and I live west of Denver (so I’m aware of the negatives to living in CO) and are thinking we could just move to Fort Collins and I’d commute to Cheyenne.

Anyone have any opinions on Fort Collins vs Cheyenne? Anyone done the commute? Any overall thoughts on Fort Collins as a whole? Areas to avoid, good restaurants, things to do, etc?

Any opinions would be great, expecting the offer for the job to come this week and we’d be needing to make a move pretty soon afterwards.

Have also edited the thread title to include Southern WY. I’m open to moving there as well if it’s a good fit. My long term plan is to end up in WY, so I’d love to be able to do it sooner.
I currently live in Cheyenne and I like it a lot but I was born & raised in Laramie so I'm used to the wind. I couldn't live in FoCo but to each their own I guess. Have you looked at the new gun bill in Colorado that's likely going to pass? You couldn't pay me enough to live there once that becomes law!

gman82001

WKR
Lol people from Wyoming go to Colorado to shop and Colorado floods to Wyoming to recreate whoda thunk it. I guess I’m glad we have the wind or we’d have people flocking here who don’t mind the crazy ass laws Colorado has because “we have restaurants and better weather”

LostArra

WKR
You'll get a 4.4% raise moving to Cheyenne. (No state income tax).

I think it's funny when someone says there is no hunting around Cheyenne. We drive over 12 hours just to get to Wyoming every fall and it's worth it.

Crime and drugs are in all 50 states but not difficult to avoid.

OP
Fever Buck
If you can't handle wind you won't like Wyoming. Stay in Colorado. Not trying to be mean, just honest.
No offense taken. The only issue for me is I haven’t really lived anywhere with consistent wind. So, I’d probably just have to rent up there to see if it’s something that would really bother me. Where I’m at in Denver it gets pretty bad in the winter and fall and it’s definitely annoying. But I don’t dream of packing up and moving because of it.

OP
Fever Buck
You'll get a 4.4% raise moving to Cheyenne. (No state income tax).

I think it's funny when someone says there is no hunting around Cheyenne. We drive over 12 hours just to get to Wyoming every fall and it's worth it.

Crime and drugs are in all 50 states but not difficult to avoid.
Yes, we drive 4-5 hours for our elk hunting in CO just to hunt with 5000 of our closest friends in one unit from all over the country. I don’t mind a little driving for a much better experience in WY.

OP
Fever Buck
@Fever Buck

I'll offer a contrary opinion.

I think Fort Collins is a great place to live. I have been here a decade as of this month.

I don't think there's any restaurants that I find really outstanding, but you can certainly find something decent to eat.

There is an abundance of parks, trails, open spaces if you just want to take the kids/dog for a walk. Lory State Park, Horsetooth mountain, etc.

Yea, it's expensive and increasingly crowded. All of those people (me included) didn't move here because it sucks...

I also disagree with the "north Boulder" comments. That doesn't reflect my experience at all and I have spent an unfortunate number of days in Boulder.

There's a fair amount to do at any time of year. We've been to breweries, rodeos, concerts, hockey games...

You might save a few dollars by going with Wellington but I think it wouldn't mean much for a commute. The difference between the south Fort Collins exits and the Wellington exit is maybe ten minutes.

Commuting to Cheyenne wouldn't be bad, in my opinion.
Thanks. I’m glad to hear your positive experience in Fort Collins. Sounds like I just need to spend some time in both areas for a bit.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I try not to let politics affect me here in CO, but when they try to remove your 2A rights and slowly erode your hunting opportunities, then it’s hard to ignore.
Yeah, I am very much a live and let live dude. Classic liberal / libertarian mindset (not leftist coercion of liberal), you do you and I'll do me. Boulder hippies were fine doing their own thing in their city, the leftist shift is not fine cause they are trying to make state level changes that one can't just turn off the TV over cause it impacts the things that are a major aspect of our lives, not something trivial.