Freedom RDS BDC on lever 45-70?

judders87

FNG
Anyone have any experience with a Leupold Freedom RDS BDC on a 45-70 lever action? Want to get fast target acquisition at close range but if the opportunity arises for a 150 yd shot I would like to be able to adjust. Looks like they're good for muzzleloaders. If there are other suggestions for optics on a 45-70 I'm all ears.

I have a Leupold 1-6, 3 gun firedot on my .375. It has a circle and crosshairs so target acquisition is fast. On my .45-70 lever I have a Leupold 1-4 pig flex firedot I believe it's called. Used it for close brush hunting and longest shot on a pig so far was 167 yds. Works good for me.

I have a Leupold 1-6, 3 gun firedot on my .375. It has a circle and crosshairs so target acquisition is fast. On my .45-70 lever I have a Leupold 1-4 pig flex firedot I believe it's called. Used it for close brush hunting and longest shot on a pig so far was 167 yds. Works good for me.
I’ll have to look at the pig flex. Thanks for the suggestion

My eyes are crap so I gave up on the traditional RDS. So now I have a vortex Razor 1-6 on my mad pigs 45-70 previously an aimpoint T2. A little overkill but I absolutely love the reticle, massive field of view, eye relief and illumination. It's almost as fast as a RDS and I can target identify much easier and make hits on an 8 inch plate out to 200 yards. If you haven't looked at an LPVO I'd give one a test drive. I use mine primarily for bear hunting and have taken deer out to 140 yards. I'd look into the vortex venom 1-6, vortex pst gen 2 1-6 or the newer primary arms 1-6 nova. In my experience an LPVO MIL or MOA reticle is much quicker and precise in this type of application.

My eyes are crap so I gave up on the traditional RDS. So now I have a vortex Razor 1-6 on my mad pigs 45-70 previously an aimpoint T2. A little overkill but I absolutely love the reticle, massive field of view, eye relief and illumination. It's almost as fast as a RDS and I can target identify much easier and make hits on an 8 inch plate out to 200 yards. If you haven't looked at an LPVO I'd give one a test drive. I use mine primarily for bear hunting and have taken deer out to 140 yards. I'd look into the vortex venom 1-6, vortex pst gen 2 1-6 or the newer primary arms 1-6 nova. In my experience an LPVO MIL or MOA reticle is much quicker and precise in this type of application.
I'm looking at the venom 1-6 now. Think that kind of fits the ticket of what I want. Recommended height for rings? It says 3.7" eye relief but I'm not sure where exactly I want to place it on the rail. I just got a Henry all-weather with the rail installed so I've got plenty of room to move it out.

I have an adjustable stock and backup irons on mine. If you don't I'd go with lows. Medium may be too high and more of a jaw anchor point. I'd measure with calipers if you can before ordering to make sure everything will clear. Look around for the vemon I've seen them around $200 on sale. Max it out at 6x and put as far forward with comfortable eye relief. The eye relief will feel very different than a typical higher power scope. Both eyes open!

Back