Fudd?

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll play.
A Fudd can find his way in and out without an I phone cause he can read a map and knows how to use a compass TO GET TO GRANDPAS STUMP. Plus if he’s been there once he can remember how to get back BECAUSE HE GOES THERE FOR 3 HOURS EVERY OPENING MORNING THEN BITCHES CAUSE THERE AIN'T NO MORE DEER. Hunts for the pure joy OF BEING AWAY FROM THE WIFE FOR A WEEKEND WITH A CASE OF BEER, doesn’t have an instagram acct. AND IF HE DOES IT'S USED TO COMPLAIN THAT WHATEVER AGENCY IS IN CHARGE IN HIS STATE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Doesnt have a hit list or name his food CAUSE HE HASN'T SEEN A DEER IN 3 YEARS. Doesn’t need to dial or shoot match grade ammo for a 300 yd shot CAUSE HE CAN'T HIT ANYTHING AT 50 ANYWAY. Knows how to sharpen a knife BUT DOESN'T NEED TO CAUSE HE HASN'T KILLED ANYTHING OFF GRANDPA'S STUMP IN 7 YEARS. Doesn’t need a poll to decide what gun scope, ammo, clothes or boots to wear BECAUSE HE'S NOT SPENDING ANY MONEY ON SOMETHING THAT HE SUPPOSEDLY ENJOYS. Doesn’t call his underwear a “ base layer ” His clothes aren’t a “system” AND IF HIS WIFE PACKED HIS CLOTHES IN HIS RIFLE CASE HE WOULD NEVER FIND THEM. Has been MISSING shit since before most of the cool kids were a tingling in their daddy’s shorts. Did everything your doing today with a 270 topped with a 3-9 scope wearing his work clothes carrying an old frame pack filled with beanie weenies and Budweiser (OF COURSE THERE'S BEER IN HIS PACK, HOW ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO ENJOY GRANDPA'S STUMP WITH NO DEER IN THE STATE?). Instead of making fun of him maybe you should realize who’s shoulders you’re standing on.
Fixed that for ya. These things generally all come together in PA.

tater

WKR
Fascinating to watch this dialectic exercise.
Yes, some older hunters are dismissive of younger hunter without cause. AND some younger hunters are dismissive of the hard earned knowledge of some older hunters. Both exhibit disrespect.

Advances in technology and knowledge are inevitable and often derided AND there are existing valid skills and knowledge that are being lost or disregarded without sober thought. Both exhibit narrow intellectual bandwidth.

Older hunters often value the time outdoors and place less emphasis on success being a "body count" whereas younger hunters are focused on outcomes rather than process. This is often a sign of available time and resources. Older folks have been there done that AND don't have the same time and financial constraints of younger hunters.
Check in with the same twenty-five year old hunters in twenty five years and have the current fifty year-olds reflect back honestly on their past and we are likely to see a converging data point.

Two opposing views can exist simultaneously and both be valid. Rather than look for differences, see where there are opportunities for learning at both ends of the spectrum.

Black and white thinking is the hallmark of an adolescent mind.

FLS

WKR
I’m just bored waiting on crane that should have been here an hour ago…

CorbLand

WKR
Older hunters often value the time outdoors and place less emphasis on success being a "body count" whereas younger hunters are focused on outcomes rather than process. This is often a sign of available time and resources. Older folks have been there done that AND don't have the same time and financial constraints of younger hunters.
Check in with the same twenty-five year old hunters in twenty five years and have the current fifty year-olds reflect back honestly on their past and we are likely to see a converging data point.
I dont know man, in my time at the gun counter, I had way more of the boomer generation brag about the number of animals they have killed and how quickly they got it done than I ever did from the younger generation.

The younger generation was far more likely to hunt 5-6 days in a row and be satisfied not seeing or killing an animal. Yet, many of the boomers would drive the roads opening day and complain they didnt see any big deer so they had to kill the two point because there arent any big deer left.

This is why judging people by their age bracket is disingenuous.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
If you have learned from the experiences of previous generations, and have decades of your own experience that confirms and builds on the previous body of knowledge, you might be a Fudd.

If you ignore the past and have to learn everything in life the hard way, you‘re probably not.

If you don’t get a bruised shoulder from a 270 or 7 mag you’re probably a Fudd.

If you believe only cartridges marketed by Hornady are accurate, you’re probably not.

If you have a pair of foam earplugs on your binocular strap, you’re definitely a Fudd.

If you don’t own earplugs, you’re probably not.

TaperPin

WKR
If you practice shooting offhand as well as off a bipod prior to an antelope hunt you are probably a Fudd.

If you’ve never practiced offhand you‘re probably not.

If you see a 300 yard buck, quickly sit without taking your eyes off of him and Bang Bang, you’re probably a Fudd.

If you’re shooting method involves 10 seconds of fiddle-ducking gymnastics and getting prone prior to a 300 yard shot you’re probably not.

If you think the 243 is a good kid’s gun, you’re a Fudd.

If you think the 243 is a great 600 yard elk gun, you’re probably not.

KurtR

WKR
If you practice shooting offhand as well as off a bipod prior to an antelope hunt you are probably a Fudd.

If you see a 300 yard buck, quickly sit without taking your eyes off of him and Bang Bang, you’re probably a Fudd.

If you’re shooting method involves 10 seconds of fiddle-ducking gymnastics and getting prone prior to a 300 yard shot you’re probably not.

You forgot the most important fudd practice out the window with a beer between your legs and not spilling it or breaking the mirror with your braked 300wm

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
I think I am 50 % Fudd. and not the little pudgy guy kind. See how enlightenig this can be

id_jon

WKR

If you practice at all, you're disqualified from being a fudd.

WKR
Well then I guess I'm a Fudd. Will be 50 years old tomorrow and I have zero reason reason or interest to start hunting now with any of the "modern semi-auto “tactical” type firearms". My old Model 700 BDL's in .270 and 30-06 still kill the whitetails that I chase every fall just as dead as they did 30 years ago. I guess it's also a bit of a sentimental thing for me. That said, I do own and enjoy shooting the new stuff at the range or just out having fun varmint hunting etc.
HFBD

I’ll play.
A Fudd can find his way in and out without an I phone cause he can read a map and knows how to use a compass. Plus if he’s been there once he can remember how to get back. Hunts for the pure joy, doesn’t have an instagram acct. Doesnt have a hit list or name his food. Doesn’t need to dial or shoot match grade ammo for a 300 yd shot. Knows how to sharpen a knife. Doesn’t need a poll to decide what gun scope, ammo, clothes or boots to wear. Doesn’t call his underwear a “ base layer ” His clothes aren’t a “system”. Has been killing shit since before most of the cool kids were a tingling in their daddy’s shorts. Did everything your doing today with a 270 topped with a 3-9 scope wearing his work clothes carrying an old frame pack filled with beanie weenies and Budweiser. Instead of making fun of him maybe you should realize who’s shoulders you’re standing on.
I couldn't love this post more!
What's the opposite of a Fudd?
There's an entire generation that can't tie their shoes without help from the internet.
They have no idea how unintelligent they are but you can't tell them that.