Future Kifaru Minimalist bags

Anyone know if Kifaru is planning to bring out some really light minimalist bags? If I could have my choice I’d just have a 44 Mag with only the 8 pals points rather than the entire matrix. But I’m just curious on how light they could go if they felt like it.

CB4

WKR
I could see something like you said with less pals. I know Snyder has mentioned in podcasts that fabric needs to advance some before a true lightweight bag would be an option. Durability is not there with current fabrics on the market at a reasonable price point. Some show promise but the cost is too high, your $300 bag would be $1000 all because of fabric.

It will be very interesting to see where the company goes and new products they launch in the next 3-5 years!

OP
E
Yeah I’m not worried about the fabric I’m just thinking like an argali or Markhor with one zipper. I think the muskeg line is very close to what I want but I don’t need the xpac personally

The Argali and Markor are really good minimal bags if you can find one used. And you can always get it modified and have a zipper put on. I still go with an Argali with a light frame and only really wish it had a grab handle at the top but its no big deal to me.

If Kifaru comes out with a super lightweight bag in the 5000 cu in +/- range, then I will buy it. Until then I'm gonna continue using the exo bag on their frame.

Have you packed anything between the frame and bag with that setup?
Thats what I'm running but I'm a little nervous on the little loop buckles on bottom holding up.

Have you packed anything between the frame and bag with that setup?
Thats what I'm running but I'm a little nervous on the little loop buckles on bottom holding up.
I've packed out multiple animals between the bag and frame. Works exactly how its intended and with zero issue.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Kifaru already made a much lighter bag. People bought them. Used them in the exact same way they’d use a standard built bag from Kifaru, then got pissed and returned them when they failed from extreme abuse. Of course Kifaru took every one of them back and ate it all. I’d have told the customers to go pound sand.

Kifaru is a not an ultra light weight pack. Don’t expect them to be. They are known for their shit being bomb proof and that’s how Patrick always intended it to be and I can only hope Aaron continues along the same thought process. If a couple pounds is gonna kill you, use a different brand pack.

Check out cilogear if you want a nice light bag. Mountaineering focused, but the owner might work with you on mods.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
The Argali and Markor are really good minimal bags if you can find one used. And you can always get it modified and have a zipper put on. I still go with an Argali with a light frame and only really wish it had a grab handle at the top but its no big deal to me.

The Argali, Markhor, and Thar were great bags - especially if you're running a dry sack internally, when external zippers aren't necessarily a benefit.

I've often wondered if their short life in the lineup was due to people finding them underwhelming due to the very simplicity they were designed for ...

ozyclint

WKR
What about the high camp? Any love for that?
I have a highly modified Timberline 2. To be honest I haven't seen another Kifaru pack I would trade it for. The argali, markor, tahr and high camp are the only other ones that piqued my interest.

Anozira

WKR
So interestingly enough related to minimalist packs/ frames. I was eyeing their ultralight frame (1/16 frame sheet) over the weekend and come Monday it was removed from their website? No idea if they are planning on replacing it with another frame or just doing away with it.

Screenshot_2020-09-17 Product Not Found – Kifaru Intl Online Store.png

wyodan

WKR
What about the high camp? Any love for that?
I have a highly modified Timberline 2. To be honest I haven't seen another Kifaru pack I would trade it for. The argali, markor, tahr and high camp are the only other ones that piqued my interest.

I really liked the Timberline 2, and the Markhor bag. Wish I still had one of those. But as far as lightweight bags go, it seems they are now going away from the selling point that they had several years ago about their bags and frames being much lighter than their competition, which at that time was Mystery Ranch.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of love for the highcamp here--I bought one when it first came out and it has served me well given what it is. It hits one of the sweet spots in terms of weight/comfort/utility for me.

Felix40

WKR
Lots of love for the highcamp here--I bought one when it first came out and it has served me well given what it is. It hits one of the sweet spots in terms of weight/comfort/utility for me.

I agree about the highcamp. The only thing I wish it had was a load shelf. I guess it’s just hard to sell minimalist bags when everyone wants whiz bang features and pockets.

Brendan

WKR
So interestingly enough related to minimalist packs/ frames. I was eyeing their ultralight frame (1/16 frame sheet) over the weekend and come Monday it was removed from their website? No idea if they are planning on replacing it with another frame or just doing away with it.

View attachment 216262

That's been happening regularly lately with multiple products. They remove things from the website as they sew them in batch and they don't want people ordering things that could take them 2 months to get. Things stay down until they get caught up and then go back up.

Reactions: Eye

ZDR

WKR
have both the Markhor and Tahr...super good packs, kinda throwback in a way. Cram them full and add pockets if needed.

valtteri

FNG
I was lucky enough to find an Argali on here about a year ago. Been using nothing but that bag since. Just got back from a 7-day trip and it just works so well for me. As I’ve been reducing and reducing the amount of stuff I pack, the better the Argali gets.

A zipper would not even benefit me. I just stuff everything in, rain gear, puffy and food being at the top. Those are the only things I’ll access during the day and really don’t need or want any organization for those. I have an Organizer Guide Lid for the small stuff.

If Kifaru made the Argali in Xpac, now I’d be interested in that...