G20 vs G29 10mm for Backcountry

MattB

WKR
You lost me. I'm not trying to be argumentative... just stating my experience.

I can shoot faster followups with my G20 than my G23,no question. My guess is its because I have a better grip on the gun. A guy with smaller mitts will no doubt disagree. I run about 3 cases through my 17's and 19's every year....maybe if I spent more time with the 23....I might like it a little better.

Didn't the FBI move away from .40 due to poor marksmanship? Maybe I'm not the only one- grin

____
If memory serves they moved away from the 10MM and then the .40.

Beendare

WKR
If memory serves they moved away from the 10MM and then the .40.
I think you are right. I really like my G20SF....and my wife even shoots it pretty well but she has fairly strong hands for a woman. It could be my favorite Glock.

I do like shooting my 9mm for run and gun competition style stuff. I can understand the mentality of the FBI guy arguing larger calibers....I'm sure I would feel the same if I was in Law Enforcement these days.

____

MattB

WKR
I think you are right. I really like my G20SF....and my wife even shoots it pretty well but she has fairly strong hands for a woman. It could be my favorite Glock.

I do like shooting my 9mm for run and gun competition style stuff. I can understand the mentality of the FBI guy arguing larger calibers....I'm sure I would feel the same if I was in Law Enforcement these days.

____
Improved bullet design has largely overcome the caliber difference.

G20 X 2 here specifically for bear country. FHF harness and Razco kydex. Capacity was more important than weight. I will carry the G20 when I don't have a tag and I am spotting and watching over the kill in Alaska. I consistently shoot the damn thing low and left so I need the extra rounds. I have work to do.

I have had both, still have the G29, which makes a great ccw and woods gun. The velocity difference is very minimal between the two.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
G20 X 2 here specifically for bear country. FHF harness and Razco kydex. Capacity was more important than weight. I will carry the G20 when I don't have a tag and I am spotting and watching over the kill in Alaska. I consistently shoot the damn thing low and left so I need the extra rounds. I have work to do.
Do you find carrying on your chest is impeded in anyway when your pack is on. I find drawbacks with both. Like it on my chest for when I drop my pack but when i have my pack on think the straps get in the way.

Do you find carrying on your chest is impeded in anyway when your pack is on. I find drawbacks with both. Like it on my chest for when I drop my pack but when i have my pack on think the straps get in the way.
I am a big talker so far. I carried a bio harness last season with no issues. When we were cleaning the animal it is exactly as you said. The sidearm was attached to the pack 10 feet away. This year I will not be carrying a rifle so it seems logical to keep the pistol on me at all times. I think the FZF harness with the Razco holster is. about as clean as you can get. The bino harness and holster were designed to complement one another. Take a look at the FHF video.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big talker so far. I carried a bio harness last season with no issues. When we were cleaning the animal it is exactly as you said. The sidearm was attached to the pack 10 feet away. This year I will not be carrying a rifle so it seems logical to keep the pistol on me at all times. I think the FZF harness with the Razco holster is. about as clean as you can get. The bino harness and holster were designed to complement one another. Take a look at the FHF video.
That is pretty slick.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I have the marsupial harness should be the same deal right?

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Everyone here has been super helpful so thanks for your feedback. I don't have huge hands as I'm 5' 9" 165# so I'm going to go to the shop and hold them and just see which is more comfortable. With that said I plan on using underwood 220 when in the backcountry I have heard of folks changing out there barrels. Do you all do this and if so which barrel do you switch to. I also was going to swap the sites for the trijocon night sights do you all have any better suggestions?

Everyone here has been super helpful so thanks for your feedback. I don't have huge hands as I'm 5' 9" 165# so I'm going to go to the shop and hold them and just see which is more comfortable. With that said I plan on using underwood 220 when in the backcountry I have heard of folks changing out there barrels. Do you all do this and if so which barrel do you switch to. I also was going to swap the sites for the trijocon night sights do you all have any better suggestions?
I do not have actual experience with the hard cast yet but..... I watched a video and I think it was Hickock45 using the different weights. In his particular pistol the 220s tumbled fairly quickly meaning they went through the paper sideways. I plan on getting both weights and trying them to see what works best and making sure they cycle rapidly. A 200 flying straight is better than a 220 sideways.

rob86jeep

WKR
You need to test out the 220's in your gun to know for sure. If you don't want to deal with testing to see if they tumble, just buy the 200's and be done with it.

When it comes to the 29 vs 20, you should get what's comfortable in your hands and comfortable to carry. Regardless of what people say, the 20 will be the more accurate gun (due to increased grip area but more importantly increased sight radius). The 29 will be a little lighter and a little easier to conceal; however, the 20 will have more grip area, longer sight radius, and larger magazine capacity. The choice is up to you to determine which model is right.

Just to throw a curve ball in your decision, some testing has shown that 9mm isn't that far behind then 10mm when it comes to penetration (and penetration is the name of the game for large predator defense). I have a G20 and a G19 I carry daily. I decided to carry my G19 my last time our back country hunting. Now if I was in grizzly country, I would probably carry the 10mm because it can't hurt...

Beendare

WKR
FWIW,
I’ve shot the heck out of my stock G 20 SF, ( stock barrel and springs, i changed the sights, SS GR and $.25 trigger polishing)

I have a little over 700 rounds of Underwood 200 gr hard cast through mine. As long as you clean it after about 300 rounds there is no leading issues.
No malfunctions and no tumbling with that 200 grain

Some aftermarket barrels have tighter chambers which can be good ....or bad.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
FWIW,
I’ve shot the heck out of my stock G 20 SF, ( stock barrel and springs, i changed the sights, SS GR and $.25 trigger polishing)

I have a little over 700 rounds of Underwood 200 gr hard cast through mine. As long as you clean it after about 300 rounds there is no leading issues.
No malfunctions and no tumbling with that 200 grain

Some aftermarket barrels have tighter chambers which can be good ....or bad.

May I ask what the difference is with the SF and why you would prefer that model?

Beendare

WKR
May I ask what the difference is with the SF and why you would prefer that model?
Because It’s prettier than the other Glocks....

(sarcastic grin)

The Reason: The Gen3 SF is what I can still get here in CA due to Democratic politicians restrictive gun control. We cannot buy later Gen models from a dealer.

The SF has a slightly scaled back grip....still large but a tad smaller than Gen4

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Because It’s prettier than the other Glocks....

(sarcastic grin)

The Reason: The Gen3 SF is what I can still get here in CA due to Democratic politicians restrictive gun control. We cannot buy later Gen models from a dealer.

The SF has a slightly scaled back grip....still large but a tad smaller than Gen4

Thanks that's helpful. Yea I live in the soviet state of NY so curious if that applies here as well.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I’m extremely happy how my G20 shoots at 20 yards. My thought process is that I will never be shooting further than that in a self defense situation. You guys have me wondering if I should try a 29.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Thanks everyone for the input. I went with the G20. The way I looked at it, is I want something that will be more accurate as concealing it isn't an issue for me. My intention is to wear it in a chest holster under my marsupial bino harnes. Thanks to all for the input and advice this was all really helpful and informative.