G5 Montec, a good choice?

oxberger

FNG
I have been seeing post on numerous forums saying Montecs have not performed well.

I used them years ago and thought they worked fine. But I am by no means a master hunter.

My question is this: Are they a good choice for a COC fixed blade?

I am not into the extreme FOC, just want a good COC head that can be sharpened.

I am running an arrow weight round 500gr. at 70lbs with a 30" dl.

I realize the most important factor in any head's performance is shot placement. Just want a durable head that could be reused.

tlanham4

FNG
I killed a good buck in Oregon in 2017 with a G5 but I wasn't impressed with the blood trail. I followed the bucks tracks for about 100 yards and found him dead in some brush.

Obviously the G5 worked but I switched hoping for something that may cause more blood trail.

I'm sure there's others way more experienced with this broadhead that will say they create massive bloodtrails and that may be true, it just wasnt the case for me.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Following, I'm in same dilemma. Was running muzzys last year. Changed whole arrow setup for this year going heavy buy not crazy FOC. Looking at Montecs

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
If you like that design ( I personally don’t) then VPA makes a better head then Montec.
VPAs are reasonable priced, machined tool steel. They will take a good as an edge that you can put on that angled style head.

VPA would the way to go for simplicity and ease of use.

I've had two Montecs snap just above the threads upon impact, once on a deer and the other on a bear.

Spence14

WKR
Following. I too am looking for a good fixed blade for Idaho this year. (I usually shoot expandables)

Zac

WKR
The Montec is a mold injection head, and isn't CNC machined, I believe this is why they aren't super sharp out of the package, the G5 Striker is probably a better option for accuracy, they use the German Lutz blades as well

@ ox,.. Agree with Zac, the G5 Striker, flies much better than, the Montec and it will cut you,.. just by looking at it,.. LOL
Yup,.. seriously, it's almost that, sharp ! Use caution, putting them together !
A guy on YouTube had them shooting, next to his FP's at 100 yards, that precision flite, was what, SOLD me on them years ago. I've had them shooting next to FP's, in my set up, out to 70, yds without, adjusting POI, to match the FP's,.. no BH "tuning" was needed ! Our bows are "tuned" well with, Bare shafts when we put them together, tho.
The Strikers, are a bit of a PITA to put the Blades / washers/ points all together and an arrow spinner is recommended as it may take, a couple of tries to get them to "spin", right. We have shot several Elk with them and they "work" well (usually, bleeding out, very fast ). Check out some reviews for yourself, tho ! We also like the WacEm's as they "fly" great too ! Longer shots, at Deer, Elk and Antelope are sometimes necessary in the West and the Strikers and WacEm's always shoot well at distance for our Family. Good luck with your choice ! We like 13-15% FOC for ALL our Hunting arrows and you already have, the weight necessary for an "Elk arrow" ! The VPA 100 gr. Vented BH's shot well for me too, but they are hard to get real "sharp", it was just easier, to touch up the point of the Striker with, a stone and replace the Lutz, Blades, for me !

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
I used montecs (both stainless and CS) for close to 8 years. I 've killed quite a few critters with them but the blood trails always left something to be desired. Last year I switched to ramcats and I'm very happy with them. Even on big spring bears the blood trail is impressive.

As others have mentioned, if you are set on a 1-piece 3 blade head I would choose VPA over the Montec. It's easier to get sharp and more durable due to the construction process. If sharpening a head on a flat stone isn't your thing, there are tons of good replaceable blade options on the market. Slick Trick, Wac'em, QAD Exodus, etc

Austink47

WKR
I found them difficult to tune. I switched from muzzy mx3s and just could not get them to fly right with my set up. They are sharp, I cut the ever loving crap out of my finger with one.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
I used Montecs and just felt they weren't sharp enough.... I went to Strikers and really liked them (Killed a nice bull), no real complaints. The Strikers also flew better than the Montecs. In 2018 I transitioned to the Slick Trick standards since they had 4 blades and had a reputation for flying amazing for fixed heads (They Fly Great!!). I killed a bull with Strikers and Slick Tricks... both bulls didn't go further than 100 yds, this year my bull didn't go 15. Although I like both heads, the blood trails were poor while both shots were solid. All comes down to how you shoot and what you need. If you put in the boiler room (The Triangle), they will go down. If you shoot further back to avoid the shoulder then you might need the bigger blood trail for tracking. I shoot for the triangle or right up the front leg so I prefer a head that is super accurate and tough. My feeling is if you put the arrow in the boiler room, the animal will go down quickly, the big question is what happens if you don't make the perfect shot - Which way do you go?? Big cutting diameter and blood trail or head that can get through some bone?

OP
O

oxberger

FNG
Kifraucast did a podcast covering the topic of heads and less than perfect shots. Think it is the one with Chris Roe. Just listened to it Monday and it made me re-think my belief of having the same head in the quiver.

The more I learn it seems the less I know. Seems like a catch 22, either a big hole and not much durability or smaller hole and hard hitting.

In terms of durability, for those of you who use Strikers, what were your thoughts?

TauPhi111

WKR
I've shot the 100 grain CS Montec for the past handful of years and have shot i believe 7 whitetails so far with them. Some of those blood trails, as some have said, were not that great. Those were all high placed shots. Shoot them low through the heart or low lungs and blood trails are good. I like them becuase you can resharpen them easily and they are super tough. I've broken leg bones on several of the whitetails I've shot, and on every deer I've gotten a complete pass though. They don't feel as sharp as other heads but I believe that is because of the wide angle of the bevel. Touching them up on a fine and ultrafine flat diamond stone gets them very sharp. With my new bow I plan on shooting the 125 Montec, but I might check out those VPA heads just because I've never heard of them

Are those VPA heads similar to the Montec in that you can sharpen them with a flat stone? I really like the Montec design for durability and reusability, but if there was one that was machined rather than MIM I'd be interested in that for sure.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
If you cut high flowing, high pressure blood vessels and organs and have a hole low enough or large enough to get the blood out.....it'll leak.

Think about this, if you cut a 1.25" slice through your body, will your body not bleed because it wasn't the brand of cutting tool it likes?

If you want to talk about cutting edge angles, durability, tunability....etc, I'd say it's worth discussion.....but blood trails are a function of what's cut and where......not what it's cut with.

Have had good success with Montecs on mule deer and elk, but have seen some good suggestions from other folks in this thread too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a double lung pass through on a cow elk this past season at 50 yards with 120 gr Montecs. She ran less than 30 yards and piled up. Never found the arrow to resharpen. Always seem to fly fine for me.