Garmin dog collar issues.

Brymax01

FNG
Hey guys, new to this forum, but digging it already!
Almost too many options...
Anyway, might as well start with the most pressing issue...

I hunt upland birds (amongst others) with my GSP.
I've got a Garmin Pro 550 with a TT5 collar and I've been having issues, and I'mcurious if others have had the same issues and what did they do?

I bought the set a few years ago, and almost immediately the handheld would show my dog in the exact opposite direction from where she was... ACCURATELY, i might add... Distance, Stopped, Pointing... Everything accurate except for the direction.

Did all the updates and reset BS, and then contacted Garmi who had me do all that again.
Finally sent the handheld back to Garmin, who doesn't repair BTW. $136, and they send you a refurb unit. Whatever.

So I did it. Sent, paid, got back another handheld, and the exact same shit is happening!

So, the question is has anyone else had this happen and what did you do?

I assume the next step is to send the collar back now, which i guess will do. But I wasn't too impressed with the customer service, so I just wanted to do so e digging first.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I had a TT15 do something similar but it was sporadic so I blamed it on the dogs proximity to high wire power lines then it died all together on day one of a hunt it would turn on but wouldn't connect and wouldn't charge computer would read it it update it and say everything was ok took it to a electronic guru that went through it swapped the battery and re flashed the programming and nothing... bought a new TT15X to replace it.

Scottf270

WKR
Have you calibrated the hand held for direction? You tube can sometimes help. Also can call Gun Dog Supply or Collar Clinic or Okie Dog Supply for some pointers.

OP
B

Brymax01

FNG
Yeah, the figure 8 thing, did that.
But thanks for the tip to call Gun Dog Supply.
Appreciate it.

I've had problems with ever 550plus I ever owned. I did the same thing you did with Garmin and they sent me a refurbished one - also didn't work. Ended up selling it 2 weeks in. I find the Alpha 100/200 or Astro series are much more reliable.

Usually it's the handheld - not the collar. The signs it's the collar is if the indicator light stays red and doesn't turn green (battery/circuit board is shot), or you get a ? on the handheld (antenna is broken which is an easy fix). Otherwise it's always the handheld.

Also - the best people I've found to talk Collars with is Double U Hunting Supply. They are houndsmen out of WA and they give you the no BS what's happening answers with Garmin collars. They also do trade-ins for a very fair price.

OP
B

Brymax01

FNG
Yep, that's where I'm at now.
Sent the handheld to them and they sent me a refurbished one back.
Did the same thing.
Sent them the collar.
I will say they didn't charge me for the collar.
Good thing...
Cuz it's still doing the same thing.

Am I just an idiot and doing something wrong?

I mean, you sync the collar with the handheld... Check
Wait for the handheld to get signal... Check
Wait for collar... Check
Then the handgeld starts tracking the collar... Check

Everything to this point Checks out.

Just shows collar in opposite direction.

I might take your advice and upgrade.

Kindo

WKR
Old thread but I'll throw my .02 into the mix. A buddy and I recently had some similar issues (inaccurate direction/distance along with delays in pointing of up to a minute or more, and then little glitchy things like saying a pointing dog has "treed quarry" instead). The later I really don't care about really but so many little glitchy things are happening now, I'm losing some trust in the setup. Mine started with my old original tt10 collar. Garmin said it was most likely that, so.... I went and bought two brand new TT25 collars. Same issues and now having the weird notifications from both the pointing dog and hound dog settings.

Garmins old customer service used to be great and super helpful. Now, I can't quite say the same thing. I've owned the setup for about 6 years and if the old "did you update your collar recently?" or "well, have you tried a factory reset recently?" doesn't work, then they want me to send it in and pay the $169 replacement fee and "try" a refurb but only to have the same issue. My friend just did this and they sent him a brand new handheld instead of a refurb and it did the same thing.