Garmin InReach Rental

Willie IV

FNG
Heading to AK in a month and am looking to rent an InReach to stay in touch with our transporter and home/family. Any recommendations or experiences with rentals from any particular rental company? Still haven't ruled out purchasing a unit if anybody has one for sale or knows any deals being offered.

Hey Willie,

I was in a similar situation last year and after all of the research it seems to be a better deal just to buy a new or used one. By the time you secure your dates, pay shipping, and the daily rate, you're pretty close to the purchase price. All depends on how long you'll need it....hunt time plus a few days on either side. Gotta allow for getting it before you leave for your trip plus after you get home and get it back in the mail.

fatlander

WKR
Just looked into this because a friend was considering renting one. It’s definitely cheaper to buy one and sell it after you’re done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've rented sat phones from both Surveyor's Exchange and the Satellite Phone Store in Anchorage numerous times. Both are Garmin dealers so it may be worth the call.

If not and you don't want to deal with buying and selling an InReach, I've never had a problem with renting sat phones from either. Surveyor's Exchange has an after hours drop box so I'd probably go with them as first choice. And I THINK they have a store in FAI if that's where you're headed.

OP
Willie IV

Willie IV

FNG
Thanks for the input everyone. I went ahead and purchased a unit from S&S Archery. Saved a little money with a discount code and had the unit in a couple days. Great place to buy from. Fast customer service!

I agree on rental being a PITA, I bought a mini and you’ve got to set up an account, enter contacts, pre write messages, etc. if it’s something you‘ll never use again, just buy it and sell it on eBay for $50 off.