Gear butchering… a sickness

My wife, friends and relatives have accused me of being a sadist. I don’t think that counts when I’m only damaging inanimate objects. I’m hoping to find some likeminded gear butchers so I don’t feel so alone.

Today I took and older Nikon tripod and chopped off the lower 3rd leg section and glued on a some caps to seal the holes. Then I chopped down the extendable neck from 8” to 4”. After that the little leg braces were removed and replaced with some small diameter paracord. Next I pulled off the pan head and marked how much of it I really need to support my little 15-30x50 spotter; then went at it with the hacksaw. After that I still had some bloodlust so I went after the pan handle with the same saw. I completely removed all but a nub which I heated and bent for twisting leverage. Lastly I smoothed all of this butchery with a file. I now have a backcountry tripod suited for using while seated that weighs 17 ounces (was 25 oz). My total spotter/tripod weight is 2 lbs 6 oz.

I’ve never owned a pack I haven’t taken scissors to. There’s always so much superfluous garbage isn’t there? When I called Horn Hunter to inform them that they had at least two lbs of trash on their pack they informed me that I am silly. Plebeians! Maybe when I upgrade to an EXO this year I won’t feel the urge… maybe…

Who else has this mania?

Maverick1

WKR
My wife, friends and relatives have accused me of being a sadist. I don’t think that counts when I’m only damaging inanimate objects. I’m hoping to find some likeminded gear butchers so I don’t feel so alone.

Today I took and older Nikon tripod and chopped off the lower 3rd leg section and glued on a some caps to seal the holes. Then I chopped down the extendable neck from 8” to 4”. After that the little leg braces were removed and replaced with some small diameter paracord. Next I pulled off the pan head and marked how much of it I really need to support my little 15-30x50 spotter; then went at it with the hacksaw. After that I still had some bloodlust so I went after the pan handle with the same saw. I completely removed all but a nub which I heated and bent for twisting leverage. Lastly I smoothed all of this butchery with a file. I now have a backcountry tripod suited for using while seated that weighs 17 ounces (was 25 oz). My total spotter/tripod weight is 2 lbs 6 oz.

I’ve never owned a pack I haven’t taken scissors to. There’s always so much superfluous garbage isn’t there? When I called Horn Hunter to inform them that they had at least two lbs of trash on their pack they informed me that I am silly. Plebeians! Maybe when I upgrade to an EXO this year I won’t feel the urge… maybe…

Who else has this mania?
Denial is the first stage. Good to see you are past that stage.

I see you have three posts on this forum. You have found your people. Welcome home.

Welcome, and thank god it ain’t just me!

This season I made my own pack and got a FHF bino harness. They both worked fine, but there was some surplus. Here’s what I cut off them:

222F5693-826F-47C1-AD19-F96BBA5D87FE.jpeg

Probably a pound or more in total; more when soaking wet as it often is here in the Beaver state. Silly perhaps, but some folks pay a lot of money to shave ounces, and I’m not tough enough anymore to carry pointless weight around.

OP
Wyobohunter
That carnage looks familiar 😉
Now I almost wish I’d saved all of the extra trash I’ve removed from gear over the years. I wonder how much it would add up to?

Trial153

WKR
I took an arrow saw to a 200 quiver as soon as I took it out of the package this past week. I commiserate with your sickness

Drenalin

WKR
Most of my gear mods center on tripods and tents (part of why I switched to a tarp). But I'm considering something a little more reckless - have any of you nuts ever cut the length down on an XTherm pad and ironed it back together? And was it a successful project?

OP
Wyobohunter
😜
I was hoping for 16 ounces or less. 17 ounces was as close as I could get without losing function.