Gear I Can't Live Without.

Hblazier3

FNG
What non-essential gear can you not live without? I mean the little extra somethin' in your pack that you realized that once you packed it, you can never hit the field without it.

eamyrick

WKR
Thermarest Z lite pad. It’s just too light not to have as a backup for an air pad and makes life so much better glassing with my pack as a back rest. I’ll never go on a trip without it.

Thermarest Z lite pad. It’s just too light not to have as a backup for an air pad and makes life so much better glassing with my pack as a back rest. I’ll never go on a trip without it.
This is one of my must haves too. I have settled on 6 panels being pretty much perfect, but if It was a true cold weather backcountry trip I think I may take 8. I use it for turkey, deer and for western hunting.

The six pannels make for a cushy 2 panel seat, a nice larger 3 panel seat, or a 6 panel backup sleeping pad which is just long enough for your torso with your pack under your legs and a pillow for your head (i’m 5’11ish) I use it as a kneeling pad for dressing game, a seat, a knee pad on the tree for saddle hunting, a dry spot for gear, and as extra insulation or a backup sleeping pad. With the 6 panels you can also fold it to level out unlevel ground for a better seat.

Sorry to carry on, but I just love it. Definitely one of my favorite pieces.

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Big silk cloth. = Sun cover, cooling cloth, pre filter. flag, lens cloth, bandage, and it makes a fwap sound when whipped that spooks the chips out of animals which is good for rounding up livestock and such. Plus Jackie Chan used one to break out of jail.

ianpadron

WKR
My buddy gave me this Goal Zero lantern a few years back because he never used it.

It has been on every single hunt big or small since with me, absolutely love that thing. Hang it in the tent for nice warm light at night, use it hung on a trekking pole to dress out animals after dark, even used it as my only light source on a hunt in the Gospel Hunt Wilderness after forgetting my headlamp at the truck. Can even use it to charge my phone and InReach.

ianpadron

WKR
UL tent stake with about 10' of paracord tied to it.

When breaking down animals, you can drive the stake into the ground and then tie the cord to a leg to keep it in position.

I started carrying it for when I get an elk down solo, but now, it gets used for antelope and deer too. Very convenient.
Freakin' smart. Stealing that one for sure

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
UL tent stake with about 10' of paracord tied to it.

When breaking down animals, you can drive the stake into the ground and then tie the cord to a leg to keep it in position.

I started carrying it for when I get an elk down solo, but now, it gets used for antelope and deer too. Very convenient.
I've always used a tree branch I've stuck in the ground or a rock... LOVE this idea!